Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

_al_ wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:59 am So is anyone planning on doing anything that would interest people who never stopped using surge? (like me).
I mean like vowel filters, new wave warping sliders, or even a new skin?

Just curious, as i'm seeing no reason to update from my commercial version yet?

Or could we at least get the HP filter to default on it's lowest value on the innit patch, rather than what it is now?
Hi Al.

as per your mention of "no reason to update" -- are the following good reasons to update?
  • Support for VST3
  • Support for MPE
  • New analog mode for the ADSR envelopes
  • 64-bit VST2,VST3,AudioUnits for macOS and Windows
  • Zoomable interface
  • Additional presets

p.s. if anyone is interested in assisting / taking it upon themselves to get the 32-bit macOS plugin version of Surge to compile, please pitch in at https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge/issues/450 or join the Surge Slack :)

A big thank you for the surge update and especially the zoomable GUI.
Owner of the FB site of Audioterm

Click "menu" in the bottom right corner.
weird , i don't have that.. this is version 1.6 beta?

inkwarp wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:54 pm
Click "menu" in the bottom right corner.
weird , i don't have that.. this is version 1.6 beta?
Could you click on the About screen and see which version you are using - the About-button has been changed to a Menu-button about a week or two ago. There's also a Zoom there. It's always good to check which version you are running, as of today, any version from January 2019 or earlier is to be considered grossly outdated..

aka on sight, kill it with fire.

hi
i have downloaded the most recent version. ( 1.60?)..
not i have a menu button, but no + or - zoom button.
in reaper i dragged the edge of the window, it stays the same , default size and only makes the container window bigger. i have a zoom menu item but if i click make size 125% ( for example) it tells me that it is bigger than the window size ( it looks like there is plenty of screen space, but it says that it will retain the default menu size. also, even though i get a cursor to drag the window, i don't see that at all in FL studio.
i also wanted to say, i will use this a lot anyway, the improved Menu is a welcome change, it gets a little tedious scrolling forever as in previous.
so kudos for this.

edit: sorry i forgot to say, i don't see a verision number in the About window, it just has this: "build:Jan 29 2019 13:26:4"
don't know if that's of use...

inkwarp wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:42 pm i have downloaded the most recent version. ( 1.60?)..
edit: sorry i forgot to say, i don't see a verision number in the About window, it just has this: "build:Jan 29 2019 13:26:4"
don't know if that's of use...
Yep, the build date + time are the best indicators of which version it actually is :). Thanks for taking the time to post them. It's good to have at least the latest and greatest - I've seen 12th January 2019 versions being served as "hey try this". I think come next week there should be another build that has yet more goodies implemented.

Downloaded just now and installed, after install I get x32 vst3 and also x32 vst, no x64. Oh, Windows 10.
On a side note, you really need to mark installers like by date so user can know if needs to update or not

bojanboyss wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:47 pm Downloaded just now and installed, after install I get x32 vst3 and also x32 vst, no x64. Oh, Windows 10.
On a side note, you really need to mark installers like by date so user can know if needs to update or not
Sense made a 64bit vst2+vst3 windows build .zip available on the surge synth slack, check it out at #general via https://join.slack.com/t/surgesynth/sha ... mNhYzQ3NTU

the zip is at
https://surgesynth.slack.com/archives/C ... 2852743600

yeah, i too would love for the site to say the date of the build on the site and in the zip/dmg filename. the site (and the manual!) is/are still being worked on.

Your links require account creation there so I checked main links again. Since .exe was different size I downloaded and installed again. This time its both vst/vst3 x64.
No need for x32 but some might need it, I guess its in the works.

Since zoom was introduced I too have blurry gui when its at 125% but I could adjust to it I guess if it wasn't resetting to 100% after reopening the gui. Thats for vst2. I tried for first time vst3 and 125% zoom and after reopening I get this:
zoom to 125 vst3.JPG
Its at 100% but scambled. Choosing again 125% returns it to normal, until gui is reopened.
Using Seib vst host for this tests.
Maybe need to do full uninstall before installing new version?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Man, I love the sounds that are on the verge of breaking apart that Surge can do. The various routing options, the feedback, the multiple ring mod options, etc are really great for this kind of thing.
https://soundcloud.com/deltasign/surge-broken-beauty

That is beautiful indeed. :tu:

So the zoom setting doesn't stay? I went to another track and back and surge went back down to it's default zoom level. Looks great when it is zoomed though. Wish it would stay at the zoom I set it.

esaruoho, i very apreciate you work, but really would be good add some release data to installer name (like it was recently). Or, add info about upload data in download page. For not to download installer only for check version. Just for will be less questions and confusions.

Delta Sign very good sound.
Last edited by c_voltage on Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Delta Sign wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:26 pm the sounds that are on the verge of breaking apart that Surge can do.
https://soundcloud.com/deltasign/surge-broken-beauty
Brings to mind a scene wherein an ancient star ship activates after spending centuries crash landed on a distant planet. Nice work Delta Sign.
“Sometimes you have to play a long time to be able to play like yourself.” -Miles Davis

Return to “Instruments”