Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

_al_ wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:59 am So is anyone planning on doing anything that would interest people who never stopped using surge? (like me). I mean like vowel filters, new wave warping sliders, or even a new skin?
Can you be more specific about the new skin. The skin has been re-done so it is no longer pixelated, and looks pretty hot. Skinning (alternate skins) possibilities are yet to be implemented, however. A lot of work has been put into making the interface zoomable on each platform and each plugin format, and that is still on-going.

I just installed latest version, and it seems that increasing the skin size makes it a bit blurry (I'm on Windows10 64bit, running the VST2 version, if that matters).

sinkmusic wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:08 pm I just installed latest version, and it seems that increasing the skin size makes it a bit blurry (I'm on Windows10 64bit, running the VST2 version, if that matters).
can ya show a screenshot of which portions got blurry? thanks.

Yes : some text might be bitmap-based (mostly the header part with grey on grey text, the bottom right "menu" border, and the "analog/digital" switches).

sinkmusic wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:09 pm Yes : some text might be bitmap-based (mostly the header part with grey on grey text, the bottom right "menu" border, and the "analog/digital" switches).
A couple of these pixelated fonts have gotten fixed last night - due to a new fix that went in last night that made it so that all of the regular fonts (not the purposefully pixelated ones like Digital/Analog) are higher resolution now and therefore less pixelated.

(The font being used is called Lato).

Hope this helps. Yep, we're getting closer and closer to a non-pixelated zoomable UI.

Thank you, Esaruoho

Crashes sometimes. What is the best place to report bugs now btw?

cnt wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:09 pm Crashes sometimes. What is the best place to report bugs now btw?
Definitely http://GitHub.com/surge-synthesizer/surge/issues/new and good to post what happened, with which plugin, which plugin version, which daw and which operating system. Steps to replicate are important too. Thanks!

_al_ wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:59 am Or could we at least get the HP filter to default on it's lowest value on the innit patch, rather than what it is now?
Could you confirm what the lowest value of the HP Filter is on Commercial Surge 1.52 version, please?

Because if it is 6.875Hz then the fix is in the newest builds.
Last edited by esaruoho on Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

esaruoho wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:55 pm
_al_ wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:59 am Or could we at least get the HP filter to default on it's lowest value on the innit patch, rather than what it is now?
Could you confirm what the lowest value of the HP Filter is on Commercial Surge 1.52 version, please?

Because if it is 6.875Hz then all we need to do is wait for this PR to be merged in.
https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge/pull/418
Hello,

what do you mean? Does it make sense to put a link to Audioterm on your new website?
Owner of the FB site of Audioterm

PietW. wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:24 pm
esaruoho wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:55 pm
Because if it is 6.875Hz then all we need to do is wait for this PR to be merged in.
Hello,
what do you mean? Does it make sense to put a link to Audioterm on your new website?
Am speaking of the Scene HP/Low-cut slider. Could someone take 1.52 and drag that slider from it's preset 50Hz down to the lowestmost portion and then right-click on the slider and let us know what the lowest Hz is for that specific slider. (it's not the HP in F1 or F2, it's next to Keytrack). For Surge Opensource, currently, the lowest Hz that it can go to, is 6.875Hz.

I got some assistance from Baconpaul and have modified Surge Opensource Init sound so that it will always start with a highpassfilter of 6.875Hz - which allows for way more bass on the preset, and no need to "always remember to lower the highpassfilter from 50Hz to lower" - since 6.875Hz is now the default for that specific highpass filter.

PietW. wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:24 pm
esaruoho wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:55 pm Could you confirm what the lowest value of the HP Filter is on Commercial Surge 1.52 version, please?
By the PR link I mean that (and the PR is now in) - once it is accepted, the fix for the "50hz highpass default" is in, and it is now "6.785Hz highpass default". It's in the newest builds. Check it out.

I spoke to the Audioterm guy and apparently there will never be a macOS version.. so not sure about what should be done about that?

I just downloaded the latest version 10 minutes ago, and can confirm that some of the text gets a bit blurry when you zoom. That's not a big deal to me, personally.

I think the bigger problem is that the plug-in window doesn't enlarge when you zoom to 125% (or when choosing "grow by X%" option), and when you drag it out to see the rest of the plug-in, the plug-in GUI is cut off where the window was originally, and you can't re-size it again.
Clipboard01.jpg
If you zoom by 150%, the plug-in window does enlarge and the GUI appears to get bigger, but the GUI is still cut off. As a result, it looks basically like the image I've attached...just bigger, with more empty space in the window where the GUI should be.

Closing the window and re-opening it resets the size to 100%, apparently.

I'm trying to use this in Sonar Platinum (x64) on Windows 7 (x64).

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

how do you 'zoom' the gui?
i have it in fl and i can't see an option or anyway to resize the window...

inkwarp wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:54 am how do you 'zoom' the gui?
i have it in fl and i can't see an option or anyway to resize the window...
Click "menu" in the bottom right corner.

Return to “Instruments”