Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

Sorry for off topic but how far into are you guys with shortcircuit ?
FL Studio 21 - Waveform 12 | Surge - Variety of Sound

A lot is starting to work. I have the mod matrix ripped apart on my box now but it is doing plenty already. If you are a discord user we are happy to have folks join us there for the pre alpha tests

That's great news!! ShortCircuit-XT is, in my opinion, one of the most important Open Source plugin applications in the Linux Music Production world....... A full blown sampler! :) I see Sfizz more as a library player, rather than an actual sampler. I know, I know... Semantics. But the point is, this is a very, very important undertaking, and I am so grateful that you are working on it! :)

We have many available powerful synths. One of the best: Surge-XT
We have a powerful sampler: ShortCircuit-XT
We have a powerful drum sampler: DrumGizmo
We have a powerful library player: Sfizz
We have a powerful Guitar Amp Sim: Guitarix.vst
We have many available effects Suites. One of the best: Linux Studio Plugins suite
We have a powerful DAW: Ardour

With these things, a completely professional Open Source DAW/Plugin Music Production workstation is available to all! :)

Very, very appreciated!!!
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

baconpaul wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:46 pm A lot is starting to work. I have the mod matrix ripped apart on my box now but it is doing plenty already. If you are a discord user we are happy to have folks join us there for the pre alpha tests
Great :tu:
FL Studio 21 - Waveform 12 | Surge - Variety of Sound

@audiojunkie - totally agree on “library sampler” vs “fun sampler” and while short circuit will have features which work well in both contexts making sure it works super well as a “sample initiated synth” is one of our core goals. We don’t want to be kontakt or sfizz

But we also don’t want to just be “surge which plays samples”

Short version: I don’t think that’s just semantics I think it is one of the things we think about the most when talking about features for the eventual product

wow I really didn't know this SC-XT thing was happening!! I'm so pleased so see this.
I bought ShortCircuit 1 back in the early 2000s, and have always considered it the best virtual sampler I ever used. Thrilled that it's coming back in some form. I still use it all the time on my smaller computers.
resistors are futile you will be simulated
Soundcloud
T4M

Chris-S wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:42 am
bulevardi wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:24 am The only thing is missing is a 'simple' arpeggiator.
Not a big deal, because there are many external arpeggiators existing.
I just stumbled upon 'Stochas' yesterday evening...
It seems to have everything on board I was looking for, (still have to test if things work out in my setup), but it's managed by the Surge Synth Team aswel:
https://surge-synth-team.org/

Why haven't I discovered this earlier? The other projects should be mentioned on the Surge site too, or a link to the team's main website
https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/

Kenny made a video on this 2 years ago, seems a very useful sequencer in combination with Surge. This needs more publicity ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUYL3jesf7w
Get In Touch^^ Instagram, BandCamp, SoundCloud, Spotify, iTunes,....

I see in the Patch Options at the bottom, you can set the randomization to stable.
It can be an interesting idea that once you have a nice sounding pattern, you can hit a button to stabilize it and export this pattern to midi, and drag the midi around in your DAW, so you can edit it there in piano roll too.
Idea for the developers ;-)

P.S. from the video above, I'm wondering how he imports the different drum parts in each line. It's not so clear for me:
https://youtu.be/YUYL3jesf7w?feature=shared&t=742
Get In Touch^^ Instagram, BandCamp, SoundCloud, Spotify, iTunes,....

Z3R0T0N1N wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:23 am I bought ShortCircuit 1 back in the early 2000s, and have always considered it the best virtual sampler I ever used. Thrilled that it's coming back in some form.
The project is way way more of a rebuild that the first surge 1.6 was. It’s more “the spirit of short circuit plus the dsp for sample playback” (although sc and surge shared a lot of dsp and the same will be true with the xts).

But that means one of the more useful sets of testers we will need this spring (or now if you are into super alpha stuff - or maybe after the weekend when I’m finished this mod matrix rebuild) is people who loved short circuit to make sure we keep the “spirit” right. We have a few folks with that profile in the discord already and we welcome more!

The linux Yoshimi synth (zynaddsuvfx variant) has 16 part multi-timbral layering. Having that in ShortCircuit would be several epochs beyond wonderful :hyper: Also, a phrase like 'It's just Surge playing samples'...
...seems pretty dream-like to me, as a descriptor :wink:

https://github.com/Yoshimi

It is of course intention for SCXT to support 16-part multitimbrality. But let's move Shortcircuit related discussion to its own thread, perhaps? :)

Edit: Sorry, I didn't realize this was the Surge thread. I've moved my questions to the ShortCircuit-XT thread as per EvilDragon's request listed above. :)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Return to “Instruments”