Your opinion about Zebra 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Empyrean (U-he Zebra 2 Presets) Zebra

What do you think of this Vst?

He looks very powerful and sounds sound quite advanced and evolved apparently.

A very particular grain.

On the other hand the grip does not look simple.

:D
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Zebra has been around for years, but it's still easily one of the best available on the market.

Of course, since it's been out for years, it's naturally been talked about for years too, so I'm not going to rehash it all. Suffice to say, it's a solid choice as a workhorse synth -- easy and powerful to program, and plenty of presets available for those who don't do their own sound design. It's great to have as the core of your VST setup, and from there, you can branch off to more specialized synths based upon the needs of your music.

Thank you for your answer.

Indeed, it looks powerful and very extensive possibilities.

But, not easy to tame.

In addition, the installation is quite special and atypical.

Windows

Presets (local) ...\VstPlugins\u-he\Zebra2.data\Presets\Zebra2\

Presets (user) ...\VstPlugins\u-he\Zebra2.data\UserPresets\Zebra2\

Preferences ...\VstPlugins\u-he\Zebra2.data\Support\ (*.txt files)

Themes ...\VstPlugins\u-he\Zebra2.data\Support\Themes\ (skin folders)

Module presets ...\VstPlugins\u-he\Zebra2.data\Modules\

Microtuning ...\VstPlugins\u-he\Zebra2.data\Tunefiles\

To rigorously uninstall absolutely everything (including Zebralette / Zebrify), delete all the

above except the Mac Themes and Microtuning folders, which might be used elsewhere.

Important: If a realtime malware scanner such as Windows Defender is allowed to check

the Zebra2.data folder every time it is accessed, the new browser will become unusably

slow. In such cases, please add that folder to the exceptions list (we don't put executable

files in there). Mac owners running similar software should add all the above /u-he/Zebra2/

resource directories to the exceptions list.

My question is my next or should I install all this? Sorry me who is doing the installation of my machine and I am lost.

Same questioning for the banks of additional patches or do I have to put all these elements?

Installing the patches

Copy the "Transmission" folder from "Transmission Patches" to:

C:\Program Files\u-he\Presets\Zebra2\

If you want to use the versions of the patches without reverb and delay effects, copy the "Transmission NoFX" folder instead.

Restart Zebra if it is running, and the Transmission folder and all sub-folders of patches and patch templates will now show up in your Zebra patch browser.

Installing the templates

The oscillator and MSEG templates go to a different place to be seen by Zebra. Go into the "Transmission Templates - MSEG Templates", select all the *.h2p files, and copy them all to:

C:\Program Files\u-he\Zebra2\Modules\MSEG\

Then go into the "Transmission Templates - Oscillator Templates", select all the *.h2p files, and copy them to:

C:\Program Files\u-he\Zebra2\Modules\Oscillator\

Note: Don’t copy the whole oscillator or MSEG templates folder itself into these paths, as they won’t show up - Zebra will only see template files in the root of the template directories. You need to copy all the template files inside their folders into the template paths above.

Installing the skin

Quit Zebra if it is running, and copy the Images and Scripts folders to:

C:\Program Files\u-he\Zebra2\Data\

This will overwrite the original gui, so we recommend you back up the original Images and Scripts folders before installing the Transmission skin.

Many thanks in advance for your help and explanations on the subject.

Basically, just install the VST and sound bank.

here apparently, more complex.

KBSoundSmith wrote:Zebra has been around for years, but it's still easily one of the best available on the market.

Of course, since it's been out for years, it's naturally been talked about for years too, so I'm not going to rehash it all. Suffice to say, it's a solid choice as a workhorse synth -- easy and powerful to program, and plenty of presets available for those who don't do their own sound design. It's great to have as the core of your VST setup, and from there, you can branch off to more specialized synths based upon the needs of your music.
Ditto!

Removed to avoid further offence of delicate sensibilities.
Last edited by jacqueslacouth on Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Well, my big cool your message.

Definitely a lot of social cases here.

Oh yes you should instead be sure a music site rather follow education classes.

But considering your level there would be rejections.

Well, gentlemen mods, you should do the housework, a nice low clans. :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Sad to see this deplorable behavior of a music site

Good luck, friend

1) Find a new translator app
2) There are a million Zebra reviews on the internet, Google is your friend.
3) Dont worry about the file structure for now, the installer will take care of that.
4) Nice low clans back at ya

Underwear stripes rejoice
Amazon: why not use an alternative

My take: it sounds great. It's also probably the single most versatile sounding synth I own, with Omnisphere being next in that list. It can do a wide range of traditional synth sounds quite easily but I'm amazed at what Howard Scarr and a few others are able to do with Zebra in terms of creating realistic sounding patches, or just crazy rhythms.

From a workflow perspective, it's age starts to show. In it's current state, waveform drawing is not a pleasant experience and feels very dated. Effect modules don't have presets. It's not always clear what's modulating what, so I'll occasionally have to hunt. If you right-click a module and expect to be able to replace it with another module, that doesn't work, you actually have to remove it first, then click the empty slot to bring up the list of modules you can put in there. Things like that.

I only got Zebra2 recently, watched a few tutorials, loved what it does, then bought ZebraHZ just to get access to the Diva filters in it and get a free upgrade to Zebra3 when that gets released. Then, I found the Plugmon skins, and started connecting even more to Zebra's GUI (solves for some of the confusing modulation issues and nicely organizes a few things).

In closing, Zebra could easily be my only synth, but I wouldn't necessarily love the experience of working with it.

When I say low class, I do not talk about everyone.

But here recently and already had two situations of this kind.

So, low class for this kind of people.

Like that more clearly, I hope.

Respect is important it seems to me and here some people are disappointed.

It is one of best workhorse choices you could make, and the one knock against it is also a strength; It is old. Not that it sounds old, just that there have been many options since. But if you are going for a deep learning, that age is a good thing too, because there is an absolute mountain of info on Z2 online. Tutorials, presets, etc...
Last I knew it was not cheap, so you might lay out the current stable in that price range to compare, but it will always be a solid contender.
I am absolutely a low class deplorable though, so please take my advice fwiw. :phones:
ImageImageImageImage

Zebra is one of the most flexible and deep synths out there, but it has it own sound which you will either like or not. There are tons of soundsets for Zebra virtually for any genre, I would advise you to find those made for the genres or the kinds of sound you are interested the most and listen closely to the sound demos.

Assuming that you are into trance, you may check out these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsS2v1p ... e=youtu.be

https://soundcloud.com/adamszabo/adam-s ... 2-soundset
I think these are the best trance-related sounds you may find for Zebra

I own Zebra myself but mostly use it for various textures, background sounds etc. There is something in its sound which I don't quite like so I rarely use it for leads, basses and other things that play the main role in a mix.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Zebratron is an exceptional soundset...

https://u-he.com/products/soundsets/zeb ... #zebratron

Return to “Instruments”