Dmitry Sches' Thorn VI

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

chagzuki wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:31 pm Thorn has something special/unique, but the smallest of signal path options would make all the difference to how useful it is. Just the option for an oscillator to bypass the filters would allow for proper bass sound design.
You can route each oscillator to filter 1 and/or 2, and switch either off if you want or need to.

chagzuki wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:31 pm Thorn has something special/unique, but the smallest of signal path options would make all the difference to how useful it is. Just the option for an oscillator to bypass the filters would allow for proper bass sound design.
Ain't that the case with a lot of synths? For drum programming also, where you want to add click and noise independent of the body sound.

Still love Thorn though - it's a great playground for certain types of sounds.

zvenx wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:34 pm
U-o wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:55 am
zvenx wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:25 am
Xryz wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:50 pm any recommendations on soundsets for Thorn? there are plenty of offers around but I would like opinions from users.
These aren't bad at all.

https://www.touch-the-universe.com/dmit ... -main.html
rsp
Does it work with DS Thorn (version 1.1.0)?
Thanks
Sorry I have no idea.
Maybe ask Tim 2 TTU whose patches they are.
rsp
I already asked him yesterday - no reply.
But thanks
yzcoruhT

ariston wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:50 pm
You can route each oscillator to filter 1 and/or 2, and switch either off if you want or need to.
Yes, but it's just not quite enough for what I'd consider quite regular bass requirements, where e.g. you want one mid-frequency layer to have a band pass with LFO, then route to filter 2 to high-pass (to make sure there's not too much intrusion on the low end as the LFO moves. Then a sub layer alongside that, which would then have to be outputted direct. You could run two instances in the DAW, but it's a bit messy.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

chagzuki wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:05 pm
Yes, but it's just not quite enough for what I'd consider quite regular bass requirements, where e.g. you want one mid-frequency layer to have a band pass with LFO, then route to filter 2 to high-pass (to make sure there's not too much intrusion on the low end as the LFO moves. Then a sub layer alongside that, which would then have to be outputted direct. You could run two instances in the DAW, but it's a bit messy.
Ha, okay! :)
My synth basses tend to be a bit simpler.

Got message from Timothy Ivory.

Touch The Universe works fine with DS Thorn (version 1.1.0).
yzcoruhT

chagzuki wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:05 pm
Probably not what you're looking for.. but maybe gives some idea of maybe getting close to what you're after in terms of routing.. don't forget you also have an EQ in the effects section.. but I have always thought how good and cool it would have been to have better signal routing..
I haven't used Thorn in over a year 2 years.. wow.. time.. f** it (since I went exclusively H/W), so this was just a quick mess around.

PS.. made in v 1.05
BS_Demo.zip
EDIT: I had to go and cook and eat.. that living bit.. any way, while cooking I thought I might try something with that preset.. had a thing going in my head..

came back and thought ok.. hold a long bass note now, and then.. OMG.. this is not what I meant.. it was kinda ok on 16ths at 120 BPM.. but held hahahaha I'm so out of touch with S/W synths.. the filter goes crazy.. not what I had in mind at all at all. I also went through some of my old presets.
This is how I used to use the synth..
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=511020&start=30

I should spend some time with my old friend :tu:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by toonertik on Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

And have a switch for each osc to use or not use the harmonic filter... that, I think is/was my biggest gripe.

toonertik wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:10 pm
And have a switch for each osc to use or not use the harmonic filter... that, I think is/was my biggest gripe.

Oh man, for sure. It produces such interesting effects, but it's either slammed over everything or not at all, and to me it feels like it needs careful taming/controlling which isn't possible given the signal path options. Seems such a waste.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

Is there a way to have globally running LFOs? I see the mono and poly options there but what I want is an LFO that doesn't re-trigger with each midi input.

U-o wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:32 pm Got message from Timothy Ivory.

Touch The Universe works fine with DS Thorn (version 1.1.0).
Nice.
Thanks for reporting back.
rsp
sound sculptist

zoidkirb wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:13 am Is there a way to have globally running LFOs? I see the mono and poly options there but what I want is an LFO that doesn't re-trigger with each midi input.
I am not in front of my rig but one of the mono ones is doing that.
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

Halma wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:28 am
zoidkirb wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:13 am Is there a way to have globally running LFOs? I see the mono and poly options there but what I want is an LFO that doesn't re-trigger with each midi input.
I am not in front of my rig but one of the mono ones is doing that.
Oh yes right you are , thanks! It's mono (not mono sync)

Are there any other synthesizers in which you can draw the filter shape yourself?

Alexander137 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:12 am Are there any other synthesizers in which you can draw the filter shape yourself?
Image Line Harmor
Linplug Spectral

Return to “Instruments”