Puremagnetik Cloud Machine: spectral blur and space

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Need say, just bought Fathoms. Well, i love this kind of stuff too, and want to be polite, but frankly to say wouldn't bought it after trying demo version (the video did not fully reveal all the nuances). Although, its price, yes. But imo, after many paid spectral stuff (incl. even some freeware), there’s nothing to catch, this is just not serious.
But I don’t know, maybe in their other devices can catch some profit in sound / usability, unfortunately it is not possible to find out.

Thanks c_voltage for your input on this. Much appreciated especially coming from you, someone I know who enjoys experimental and mangler stuff.

Neon Breath wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:12 am Thanks c_voltage for your input on this. Much appreciated especially coming from you, someone I know who enjoys experimental and mangler stuff.
Thanks Neon, perhaps it saves twenty bucks for someone.
(Perhaps later i will explain my displeasure in details).

Sounds good.

They really need to work on demos for their plugins...

Anybody have any of these plugins running in windows 7? I honestly don’t know how I have never seen these before, but I can definitely get some use out of them. They remind me a bit of the soundhack stuff, and they seem cheap enough and good at the tricks they do. The cloud machine is probably the one I have the least use for, but I’d grab the whole bunch if they are compatible with my old system.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

I just stumbled upon these today and wow! So many cool plugs for just $20! (Or you can join Puremagetik Spark for $9/month and get a free plug each month! Well, they're $9, but what a steal!) I just signed up for Spark!

However I agree with others: Puremagnetik need to provide demos for their products. PM, are you listening? Please consider it!

Focusrite Collective offers for owners of their interfaces a
Puremagnetik bundle called
Lo-Fi Ambient Tools:

SOUND COLLECTIVE: PUREMAGNETIK​
From the 3rd October till 5th December we have teamed up with our friends at Puremagnetik to offer a free copy of their "lo-fi ambient tools" bundle including Verv, Pastfabric and Fathoms.
Last edited by Calenberger on Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

c_voltage wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:43 am Need say, just bought Fathoms. Well, i love this kind of stuff too, and want to be polite, but frankly to say wouldn't bought it after trying demo version (the video did not fully reveal all the nuances). Although, its price, yes. But imo, after many paid spectral stuff (incl. even some freeware), there’s nothing to catch, this is just not serious.
But I don’t know, maybe in their other devices can catch some profit in sound / usability, unfortunately it is not possible to find out.
Say what? :?

Calenberger wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:21 am Focusrite Collective offers for owners of their intefaces A Puremagnetik bundle called
Lo-Fi Ambient Tools:

SOUND COLLECTIVE: PUREMAGNETIK​
From the 3rd October till 5th December we have teamed up with our friends at Puremagnetik to offer a free copy of their "lo-fi ambient tools" bundle including Verv, Pastfabric and Fathoms.
Yep.

Russell Grand wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:26 pm
c_voltage wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:43 am Need say, just bought Fathoms. Well, i love this kind of stuff too, and want to be polite, but frankly to say wouldn't bought it after trying demo version (the video did not fully reveal all the nuances). Although, its price, yes. But imo, after many paid spectral stuff (incl. even some freeware), there’s nothing to catch, this is just not serious.
Russel, do you bought Fathoms ? Do you like usability\structure and how it sounds ?

Fathoms does make some cool sounds, but I'm struggling to tweak it well. Maybe I should read a manual if there is one :) ddSome of the sounds are cool. Default on a Zebra 2 saw wave made a nice guitar string sound--nice resonance. I cannot control the timing of the delay. I try to put it on full wet and get it to where I get instant sound of it, but it always seems to hit in the same place, delayed. It also does not consistently activate, and volume varies--not sure what I'd use it for, given that.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Ok. I'll try to explain (here about Fathoms).
In the video we see how it works, and it seems to be nice, but in fact, everything looks a little different.

First thing that calls perplexity, its permanently working simple reverb, which need say sounds quite poorly\intrusively, and it's unable to disabling or configuring for get some variability (of diffusion, tail time etc). There is only one handle "Dimension" for change "space size", which changes little, works similar to dry\wet in usual reverb (but again - here it's not give ability to get full dry signal, unfortunately. For experiments with freeze for examlple).
Can say - whole Fathoms nature - i'ts all about this one-knob reverb.

Another things, it's some gigantic predelay (often near to 1 sec), which is unclear how it works and how configured. I found that the "Swell" handle (described as "Modulate amplitude and delay series) somehow can impact to this, but the principle of his work is completely unmanifest. And the same for permanently working some amplitude modulation (simple modulation of loudness of processed signal (like thru lfo), not the AM modulation), what happens unpredictably, sometimes even with the same Swell position.

I can assume, that the aim was create some kind of random movement (in volume and time), what is inherent in a similar kind of devices, but in my opinion this is just failed implementation, and rather causes annoying during use, which is exacerbated by character of reverb.

Separate and last hope for me was the Freeze ability, but damn, it works as PRE reverb in chain, and only so. Can say unusable.

What there is else.. "Feedback" can add a bit feedback of pre-verb delays, but even in maximal value it's quite short.
"Deep" and "Shalow" - usual high freq and low freq post filters.
"Blend" - usual dry\wet of plugin (frankly to say, initially i hoped about some spectral feature in this, bad luck lol ).
About "Pitch" all clear, this works without surprises (and Vector handle it's for modulation for pitch).

It seems all.

By fairness, to could not seemed like i with addiction want to scold their plugs, wanted to mention pluses as well of this product (and i guess all rest PM plugs):
- nice UI design (i actually was sold by this), interesting and comfortable style\colours (there is feeling good taste at designer)
- low cpu usage
- all automatable
- low price

c_voltage wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:13 pm
Russel, do you bought Fathoms ? Do you like usability\structure and how it sounds ?
No c_v, I haven't bought Fathoms yet but I've watched a few demo videos on Youtube. The layout (like other Puremagnetik plugs) is simple and elegant, and the sound (again, like other Puremagnetik plugs) is excellent from what I heard.

But I admit that I'm a biased Puremagnetik fan! :hihi:

Russell Grand wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:16 am
No c_v, I haven't bought Fathoms yet but I've watched a few demo videos on Youtube. The layout (like other Puremagnetik plugs) is simple and elegant, and the sound (again, like other Puremagnetik plugs) is excellent from what I heard.

Well, just understand me, maybe i wrote too many words for which the essence is not clearly visible. It's literally just mini-reverb (with the described sound), inside which there is some delay line and amplitude modulation (which are almost impossible to control). No any spectral or granular processing. And this is called "Spectral Ambient Processor". it's hard to accept.
Even if remove word "Spectral" (well ok who know), the Ambient Processor (based on reverb) in my view should be have proper (nice) diffusion at least, with long tail\feedback ability, and freeze exactly for this reverb tail then, no ? But not for incoming signal (especially if such freeze not able be dry), it's no go.
As i said above, some freeware things like Lagrange or Dtblkfx give a much more interesting result and suitable for ambient needs.
As a fan, if you buy Fathoms, for me would be interested in your feelings, please write if this happens.

What about all other PM plug's, well, i frankly made a run through all the videos (before choose Fathoms), and it seemed to me that Re-Function (Buffer Modulation Machine) could be interesting \ quite usable. But the desire to check it has greatly decreased.

c_voltage wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:54 pm
Russell Grand wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:16 am

Well, just understand me, maybe i wrote too many words for which the essence is not clearly visible. It's literally just mini-reverb (with the described sound), inside which there is some delay line and amplitude modulation (which are almost impossible to control). No any spectral or granular processing. And this is called "Spectral Ambient Processor". it's hard to accept.
Even if remove word "Spectral" (well ok who know), the Ambient Processor (based on reverb) in my view should be have proper (nice) diffusion at least, with long tail\feedback ability, and freeze exactly for this reverb tail then, no ? But not for incoming signal (especially if such freeze not able be dry), it's no go.
As i said above, some freeware things like Lagrange or Dtblkfx give a much more interesting result and suitable for ambient needs.
As a fan, if you buy Fathoms, for me would be interested in your feelings, please write if this happens.

What about all other PM plug's, well, i frankly made a run through all the videos (before choose Fathoms), and it seemed to me that Re-Function (Buffer Modulation Machine) could be interesting \ quite usable. But the desire to check it has greatly decreased.
I understand and you make some good points!

Return to “Effects”