Cubase 10?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hmmm... few nice features for cubase pro users... but what about cubase artist users??? nearly nothing new.
again new graphic design for 'old fx' and... drag and drop fx. thats it.
im disappointed. nothing special in cubase 10 :-(

majkel wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:35 am hmmm... few nice features for cubase pro users... but what about cubase artist users??? nearly nothing new.
I am underwhelmed on Cubase 10.
ARA very happy about this but no hint on when.
I sense a lackluster attitude towards ARA which means
they will not integrate all the features.

How do you like the new default dark color scheme?

It's an update with a lot of improvements everywhere. They tuned a lot of stuff, like the easier sidechaining or such not so important things like taking a screenshot of a plugin GUI to have a thumbnail for it.
I really like the snapshot function for the mixer, this includes also inserted plugins. So you can easy try completely different mixes. I have not tested it yet, but my question is how this works with automation?

This improved media panel, where you can drag plugins on a track or to create a new track is great.

I'm very happy with this update. Have not found a problem yet and it runs very stable.

4damind wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:03 amI really like the snapshot function for the mixer, this includes also inserted plugins. So you can easy try completely different mixes. I have not tested it yet, but my question is how this works with automation?
Once again, it DOESN'T work with automation. A promising, yet still utterly useless, feature.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W11, Ryzen 7900, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2024 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

I think mixer snapshot indeed works as it should.
1. My recollection of hardware mixers that did have snapshot did this too.
2. The very definition of snapshot from the Cambridge dictionary:
"A piece of information or short description that gives an understanding of a situation at a particular time'.. I appreciate it doesn't do all you want it to do.
But I believe it does what it is expected to do. And for me it is my favourite Cubase 10 feature.
Rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:24 am I think mixer snapshot indeed works as it should.
"A piece of information or short description that gives an understanding of a situation at a particular time'.. I appreciate it doesn't do all you want it to do.
But I believe it does what it is expected to do. And for me it is my favourite Cubase 10 feature.
Rsp
Intriguing - so you don’t use any automation when mixing?
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W11, Ryzen 7900, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2024 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:05 am
4damind wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:03 amI really like the snapshot function for the mixer, this includes also inserted plugins. So you can easy try completely different mixes. I have not tested it yet, but my question is how this works with automation?
Once again, it DOESN'T work with automation. A promising, yet still utterly useless, feature.
I see there is a warning message that automation of insert effects could be deleted while restoring a snapshot. Ok, Snapshots with different effects are not ready yet.

zvenx wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:24 am I think mixer snapshot indeed works as it should.
Rsp
Yes, it's working if you expect only a snapshot of the mixer settings. But the idea is to go a bit further and allow different mixer scenarios with different effect plugins. So you can use different limiters, compressors etc for different mixes. But this needs also the saving/restoring of automation curves.

4damind wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:54 am
Rsp
Yes, it's working if you expect only a snapshot of the mixer settings. But the idea is to go a bit further and allow different mixer scenarios with different effect plugins. So you can use different limiters, compressors etc for different mixes. But this needs also the saving/restoring of automation curves.
So does a recalled snapshot delete a my automation on a parameter it is recalling, eg volume automation would be deleted from a mixer channel is that is reacalled?
Last edited by woodsdenis on Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

4damind wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:54 am
Rsp

That part actually works or should work, that is allowing you to switch out effects etc..... it is automation that doesn't.
rsp
sound sculptist

woodsdenis wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:24 am So does a recalled snapshot delete a my auromation on a parameter it is recalling, eg volume automation would be deleted from a mixer channel is that is reacalled?
If you only change mixer parameters (fader etc) and make a snapshot and recall it, automation is untouched. So far no problem.
If you test different plugins (change the limiter, replace the reverb etc) and some of them have automated parameters, this is actually not restored.

zvenx wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:48 pm That part actually works or should work, that is allowing you to switch out effects etc..... it is automation that doesn't.
rsp
Exactly.

Looks like a solid update.
I don't care for all the excess loops and stuff making for a big download. I never use that stuff.
I also don't like that Trip is no longer included in Elements.
I've recommended getting Elements to get the included Trip synth to people before.
I also have Artist and Pro, so that doesn't really affect me though.
https://new.steinberg.net/cubase/compare-editions/

If I wouldn't have gotten 9.5 Pro a few months ago, I might go for it.
But, it was a good chunk of change to update from 5 to 9.5, so I think I'll wait a while on this one.
If it was $49 instead of $99, I'd probably do it now.

Kalamata Kid wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:55 am
majkel wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:35 am hmmm... few nice features for cubase pro users... but what about cubase artist users??? nearly nothing new.
I am underwhelmed on Cubase 10.
ARA very happy about this but no hint on when.
I sense a lackluster attitude towards ARA which means
they will not integrate all the features.
It/They say Q1 for ARA

4damind wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:54 pm
woodsdenis wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:24 am So does a recalled snapshot delete a my auromation on a parameter it is recalling, eg volume automation would be deleted from a mixer channel is that is reacalled?
If you only change mixer parameters (fader etc) and make a snapshot and recall it, automation is untouched. So far no problem.
If you test different plugins (change the limiter, replace the reverb etc) and some of them have automated parameters, this is actually not restored.
So say with a fader snapshot that has automation, which takes priority on the playback, the automation or the static snapshot of the fader?
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”