No "ghost" clips??? Am I missing something here?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pdxindy wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:58 pmI would particularly like automation clips...
But do you really mean "clips" like they are in Reason, or just a way to edit selected range of automation (and add pre-defined shapes) like in Live 10.1? I don't think the former can be added without big refactoring of existing code logic, whereas the latter should be a relatively simple add-on.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:58 pm
pdxindy wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:58 pmI would particularly like automation clips...
But do you really mean "clips" like they are in Reason, or just a way to edit selected range of automation (and add pre-defined shapes) like in Live 10.1? I don't think the former can be added without big refactoring of existing code logic, whereas the latter should be a relatively simple add-on.
I mean clips... but both would have their uses... (and whether hard or easy is not my concern)

bolba wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:28 amThey are.
In Studio One ghost linked clips don't work well because it's impossible to keep track of what's linked to what. They didn't implement it properly. Dunno how it works in Cubase but I bet it's better. FL Studio provides commands to select all linked clips. Works well.

Scoox wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 5:37 pm
In Studio One ghost linked clips don't work well because it's impossible to keep track of what's linked to what. They didn't implement it properly. Dunno how it works in Cubase but I bet it's better. FL Studio provides commands to select all linked clips. Works well.
Oh, FLStudio... the DAW with most useful features hidden in dozen drop-downs or done in super weird ways :/
As 10+ years FLStudio users I stated before and will say again - ghost (instanced) clips suck big time there. There is no visual cue if clip is instanced or unique and in 99% of situations it's just easier to copy selected region.
You literally need 5 clicks just to properly make "unique" clip (create it, rename it and then route to another FX channel), because everything is instanced by default. It's was such a breeze to move to Bitwig's workflow.

bolba wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:03 pm
Scoox wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 5:37 pm
Oh, FLStudio... the DAW with most useful features hidden in dozen drop-downs or done in super weird ways :/
As 10+ years FLStudio users I stated before and will say again - ghost (instanced) clips suck big time there. There is no visual cue if clip is instanced or unique and in 99% of situations it's just easier to copy selected region.
You literally need 5 clicks just to properly make "unique" clip (create it, rename it and then route to another FX channel), because everything is instanced by default. It's was such a breeze to move to Bitwig's workflow.
Reaper supports both. Sure, I"m not saying FL Studio is perfect, far from it. Just saying linked clips in FL work well, but yeah, if you want unique clips then it's a hassle. In Reaper and Studio One you hold down a modifier key to select one or the other. In Reaper the default copy behaviour can be set in the preferences.

Depending on what kind of music you produce, there are elements that repeat throughout the track. Whatever music you make, linked clips can be very convenient in certain situations, and not so convenient in others. FL assumes music is mainly pattern-based. If your work involves an ever-evolving sequence of patterns, then sure FL is going to suck for that.

Return to “Bitwig”