No "ghost" clips??? Am I missing something here?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

antic604 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:05 am
Scoox wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:36 am Would be useful. But then again that's why I use FL Studio. As a production platform, this is one of the features Bitwig is missing for me. The other DAWs I use—FL, Studio One and Reaper—all have linked clips. FL and Reaper have automation clips that can also be linked, which is very useful in electronic music production.
I sent in a request for this also - last year
I've sent the request to support last week and they've confirmed it's on their list for things considered to be implemented. I guess they can't comit to more than that.

If you - and others - care about this, send e-mails to support@bitwig.com

The upcoming v3 update looks spectacular. Other DAWs have tried to do something like the Grid but most of them have delivered a mediocre implementation (particularly Studio One which IMO is the least flexible of all). MuTools MUX, Bidule, FL Studio Patcher are all pretty good but none of them are as flexible and as integrated as Bitwig's grid, at least that's what I can gather from the demo. Great work.

Again, as usual whenever a Bitwig update comes up, the first think I checked is whether this update will bring ghost clips and automation clips. I guess not yet. The moment these features land is the moment Bitwig gets my money.
Last edited by Scoox on Sun May 12, 2019 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

They just added ‘legato clips’ with no great fanfare, I’m sure it’s on there list.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Well, they still didn't implement MIDI scaling :D so it's most likely no than yes.
Doing ghost clips with current implementation of automation will require a lot of changes.
Taking into account it's useless feature - I hope developers will do something else instead ^_^ So probably they will need to live without your money for some time.

bolba wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:11 pm Well, they still didn't implement MIDI scaling :D so it's most likely no than yes.
Doing ghost clips with current implementation of automation will require a lot of changes.
Taking into account it's useless feature - I hope developers will do something else instead ^_^ So probably they will need to live without your money for some time.
How are any of those things - MIDI stretching, automation and ghost clips - related in any way? :o
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

bolba wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:11 pm Well, they still didn't implement MIDI scaling :D so it's most likely no than yes.
I beg to differ—you may not need them, but that doesn't mean they are useless.

They are.

bolba wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:28 amThey are.
How?

(assuming you're replying to my question, because obviously they're NOT useless - for lots of people, not necessarily for you - so I can't see you disputing that...)
Music tech enthusiast

Nope, not to yours. I believe with you we had an lengthy discussion on that subject already.

bolba wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:29 amNope, not to yours. I believe with you we had an lengthy discussion on that subject already.
Oh, right - you're the guy that needed some 'big' producer to convince you, because you can't think for yourself :P
Music tech enthusiast

Well, just real life production example from couple "casual" producers on YouTube from any DAW which have them already - will be enough.
I'm checking most YouTube producers of different styles and DAWs on daily basis and 99% of them just copy modified clip/section through whole project EVEN in DAWs where ghost-clips are present. Because it's just easier than trying to understand what's referenced and what's unique.

While MIDI/Audio Clips scaling is used in all DAWs and by all producers I saw constantly.

That's why :D

bolba wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:06 pmWell, just real life production example from couple "casual" producers on YouTube from any DAW which have them already - will be enough.I'm checking most YouTube producers of different styles and DAWs on daily basis and 99% of them just copy modified clip/section through whole project EVEN in DAWs where ghost-clips are present. Because it's just easier than trying to understand what's referenced and what's unique.
The "problem" is lots of pros just use what they know and what works for them - many still drag the time ruler around to scroll / zoom stuff, whereas there are perfectly adequate - and faster - trackpad / mouse gestures for that. Or select actions from top menus instead of using right-click contextual menus or hitting a key. Or add stuff from multi-level dropdowns, rather that drag & drop. And for example if you see videos from pro artists using Studio One 3/4 on Presonus page most of them are praising S1 for introducing stuff that's been available for years in other DAWs, but they apparently had no idea they existed or that it was even possible.

It's actually hobbyists or non-pros who don't have deadlines to work to that are able to explore the software to much deeper extent and have the time to compare features between DAWs (and then complain they can't make great music in their DAW of choice because ghost clips aren't in - I'll admit that ;) :D ).
Music tech enthusiast

don't u think if we gonna get some Midi-Grid in the future then we will able to build any/lot of kind of triggerable pattern sequencer, like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHTA11NTMXc
in Reason ?

should be some reason why there is no any kind of sequencer or MIDI note generator device in BWS :?:
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:31 pm don't u think if we gonna get some Midi-Grid in the future then we will able to build any/lot of kind of triggerable pattern sequencer, like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHTA11NTMXc
in Reason ?

should be some reason why there is no any kind of sequencer or MIDI note generator device in BWS :?:
Sure, I'd love that but frankly it's a workaround for proper ghost / alias / linked clips. And what Sequences RE is missing - at least in current version, because they said it'll be expanded - is some kind of CV sequencing too, so that I could tie certain effects with certain notes.
Music tech enthusiast

Scoox wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 6:21 am The upcoming v3 update looks spectacular. Other DAWs have tried to do something like the Grid but most of them have delivered a mediocre implementation (particularly Studio One which IMO is the least flexible of all). MuTools MUX, Bidule, FL Studio Patcher are all pretty good but none of them are as flexible and as integrated as Bitwig's grid, at least that's what I can gather from the demo. Great work.

Again, as usual whenever a Bitwig update comes up, the first think I checked is whether this update will bring ghost clips and automation clips. I guess not yet. The moment these features land is the moment Bitwig gets my money.
I would particularly like automation clips...

Return to “Bitwig”