DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.1)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

Switching a MIDI device or controller on or off while Bitwig is running often results in all my controllers hanging, making them completely unusable. Is this a common issue?

moss wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:38 pm
stamp wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:04 pm What is frame mode?
When you long press the Master button. The mode where you can show/hide panes and switch layouts.
Ah... Thanks for clarifying.

Reefius wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:20 pm Switching a MIDI device or controller on or off while Bitwig is running often results in all my controllers hanging, making them completely unusable. Is this a common issue?
No. Could be all kind of reasons, e.g. problematic USB hub, bad drivers, ...

gumba wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:24 pm Hey Moss,

I got your script to work fine on my MacBook pro, but I cannot get my LauchPad X to shake hands with your .bwextension file on my Intel Hackintosh. I can't even add it manually.

On my Laptop, I see "Launchpad X (by Jurgen..." on the manual ADD menu, and as a popup when I plug it in.

On the Tower, I only see the generic "Launchpad" driver.

I put the The .bwextension file is in the exact same Location relative to each computers (in fact, pointing to the same cloud-sync directory, so I can work seamlessly between multiple computers).
I tried putting a copy of the .bwextension in the normal location (per your Installation instructions), and set Location back to that, but that didn't help either.

On the hardware side: My Tower's USB ports seem to work fine for everything else.
On the software side: is there any Java packages that I may nee to install/update to get your .bwextension to work? something that was fine on the laptop, but missing on my tower ?

Please advise.
I REALLY like using your Launchpad in BitWig, and I'd like to get it integrated in my Tower setup..

cheers !
You only need to the bwextension file. Note that you cannot change the directoy in the Bitwig settings, the folder is only for Javascript scripts (in the controller folder). For Java extensions you always need to put them in the Document/Bitwig Studio/Extensions folder.

M-Prod wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:48 pm When I have a track selected anywhere from track 9 and up and click "device" and than "Mix" my selection always jumps back to the first track. Can it be set so it will keep my selected track?
Also is there a way to show my drum machine volumes 8 at once in the mixer?
PS again kudos for all you amazing work
With which device is that happening? Can you give some steps to reproduce?

Axisential wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:53 pm 2. What's the intended purpose of the clip length shortcuts? They don't seems to affect the length of new clips recorded
This length is used when you create a clip (not record), e.g. for using it with a sequencer.

moss wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:07 pm
Reefius wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:20 pm Switching a MIDI device or controller on or off while Bitwig is running often results in all my controllers hanging, making them completely unusable. Is this a common issue?
I only have this problem in Bitwig so I doubt it's a hardware or driver issue.

Demo of the features added in the last updates...

https://youtu.be/7Gdd1lDAbqQ

moss wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:07 pm
Actually I've found this to be quite common. On windows anyways. It's always best to make sure all devices are on when you first load Bitwig as turning some on might kick others off. It might depend on what controllers you have and of course hubs etc. I've found Roli controllers to often kick out other controllers for example. I'm not sure if this happens in other DAWs. I never had it happen on mac.

Yes I'm using Windows. I can switch my controllers on and off without any issues in Ableton Live, Maschine and Cubase, but not in Bitwig. Also when I have this problem where all controllers suddenly hang, I can sometimes bring them back by switching one of the controllers off and on.
My controllers are Maschine Studio (which I only use to control the Maschine software and plugin, not as a DAW controller), Ableton Push 2 and Komplete Kontrol MK2. Sometimes I also use my Casio piano as a generic controller if I need 88 keys.

Hello PUSH 1 users,

can one of you help me?

When I play and hold on the pads e.g a chord and i switch in the scale mode, for example from c to g or other changes every time stop the sound. Is there a way to adjust it so that i can hold the chord, can switch the key without interruption?(For a test I have installed an ableton demo for comparison. There it goes)

Thanks a lot for help!!!

*WISH*
So this is an obscure one; I use the session view / clip launcher to do live PA sets, so I pull a bunch of clips from different tracks together.

It would be cool if there were a way to automatically change the color of a clip from whatever color it is to Grey to indicate it would has been played. That way I can easily skip around my loops and mix and match a lot faster.

If this is something that can be done easily, awesome. If it's something I could writes a script for myself - that's cool too, but I don't even know where to start.

stamp wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:53 pm Hi moss,

I have another feature request (yes, I know I'm annoying...) to speed up device editing.
This could come in handy when you are editing plugins with more then 8 macro pages.
As it is now the left/right arrows move 1 device page to the left/right at a time and when you are at last page on the left/right it will switch to the next group of 8 pages.
I find the behaviour counterintuitive since I can simply select the page I need by pressing the track state buttons (2nd row of buttons under screen).
So my request is to move 8 pages at a time instead of 1. This would speed things up a notch.

Hope you consider this request.

Cheers!
Hey moss would this be possible? It would definitely speed up moving around when there are tons of pages, as you would n't have to first hit the 8th page and then press over. Doesn't seem like there's any point to having it move just one page over before it's on the last one when you can just hit the page you want directly. Moving over 8 pages seems best.

esq1 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:02 pm Hello PUSH 1 users,

can one of you help me?

When I play and hold on the pads e.g a chord and i switch in the scale mode, for example from c to g or other changes every time stop the sound. Is there a way to adjust it so that i can hold the chord, can switch the key without interruption?(For a test I have installed an ableton demo for comparison. There it goes)

Thanks a lot for help!!!
I am afraid I cannot change this. When the scale is changed I have to set the new midi note mapping, which seems to cause the stop of the notes. However, if this would not be the case I guess you would get hanging notes?!
You can contact Bitwig and ask them what they think.

Amuq wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:57 pm *WISH*
So this is an obscure one; I use the session view / clip launcher to do live PA sets, so I pull a bunch of clips from different tracks together.

It would be cool if there were a way to automatically change the color of a clip from whatever color it is to Grey to indicate it would has been played. That way I can easily skip around my loops and mix and match a lot faster.

If this is something that can be done easily, awesome. If it's something I could writes a script for myself - that's cool too, but I don't even know where to start.
Interesting idea but as you say a bit too special for DrivenByMoss. But can be definitvely done. If you have some basic development skills check out my Youtube series as a start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4AuiQ8 ... O3luQCFQR2

Return to “Controller Scripting”