The Wagtunes Corner

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic

What CD Would You Like To Hear Me Do?

Modern Pop (Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, etc.)
5%
Classic Rock (Stones, Beatles, Who, Zep)
5%
Prog Rock (Yes, Genesis, Kansas, etc.)
10%
Show Tunes Style (Sound Of Music, My Fair Lady, etc.)
3%
Country (Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, etc.)
2%
Disco (Bee Gees, Tramps, etc.)
14%
Metal (various sub genres)
9%
EDM (various sub genres)
14%
80s (various genres)
8%
Your Music Sucks. Please Stop Making It
30%

Total votes: 174

RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:49 pmtrack 5 from "2020" is in the books.
:shock: :clap:

Meanwhile I'm still working on one from Q4 '19. No wonder I'm sick to death of it.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Ok dude just another great track from you. But again...WHY DO YOU JUST LET YOUR BRIDGES GO? I mean, holy cow, great job and then an instrumental bridge...

I know I am picky he he he.

Seriously, I like the overall sound you got out of this. I would have loved a little more clarity of the voice. I understand your direction, but would have loved to hear the chorus open up a bit more.

Good work.

thejonsolo wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:01 pm Ok dude just another great track from you. But again...WHY DO YOU JUST LET YOUR BRIDGES GO? I mean, holy cow, great job and then an instrumental bridge...

I know I am picky he he he.

Seriously, I like the overall sound you got out of this. I would have loved a little more clarity of the voice. I understand your direction, but would have loved to hear the chorus open up a bit more.

Good work.
Thanks for the listen and the feedback Jon. Normally, my bridges are vocal. Lately, been going in another direction. My brain is kind of fractured right now getting used to the new mindset. My hope is that eventually this will get easier. Right now, this is taking more effort than I've ever put into a song. And then there was the whole "Can I get this to sound as close to The Beatles as possible" thing that sent this into a whole new level of brain strain.

I just hope this does fairly well for the contest. I am curious to see how I finish this month.

About the vocals. I find I'm spending more time on them than usual. More backing tracks than normal. This makes the whole thing that much harder to mix and thus I'm starting to cut the instrumentation a bit to make room. Finding a balance between the two is presenting itself as a challenge.

Anyway, this was an unusual song to do in that I was essentially trying to copy another song without copying it. Next track I'll just go back to my new normal and it should be a little easier to do.

Thanks again for the listen and feedback.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... o-tomorrow

"Hold You Like There's No Tomorrow" is another impressive, fully arranged song. A satisfying listen. Great job. :tu:

Did you roll off the high frequencies? They seem to be missing.

Frantz wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:51 am https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... o-tomorrow

"Hold You Like There's No Tomorrow" is another impressive, fully arranged song. A satisfying listen. Great job. :tu:

Did you roll off the high frequencies? They seem to be missing.
Thanks for the listen and the feedback Frantz. Can't answer your question because I don't remember. Normally, the only time I ever EQ the high frequencies is when 5k and above is poking through too much. I don't think that was the case here but like I said, I just don't remember. I'd have to pull up the project and check the SPAN.

7th track from my upcoming CD "2020"

Can't believe I finished this in 3 days (working round the clock) but I had help.

Since upgrading to Windows 10, my DAW does not play well with others. This project crashed 3 times. Afraid that it was going to end up corrupted, I cut this short at 28 tracks. I wanted to add a few more things but after finishing the vocals, I decided to call it a day.

In the meantime, I don't know if this is a DAW problem or a Windows 10 compatibility problem or what. I guess I'll head over to the appropriate sub forum to see what I can do. One of the problems is I run out of CPU real fast and this is a pretty beefy machine. Point is, on Windows 7, I didn't have these problems. Not like this. So it has to be something with Windows 10.

Anyway, worked really hard on this one. It's total schlock 80s and I'm in no way ashamed I did this. Might be my best 80s track yet. Just sorry I couldn't really finish it the way I wanted to.

Just Like Jimmy Neutron

Had a dream last night
Flew a rocket to the stars
Guess that's what I get
Spending nights in bars

All I wanna do
Is spend the night with you

Don't leave me hanging here

I wanna take you home
To my crystal dome
Wanna get it on
Just like Jimmy Neutron

There were aliens
All around
Coming after me
With a deafening sound

Float through my bloodstream
And wake me from this dream

Don't leave me hanging here

Repeat Chorus

Up in space with you
Would be like a dream come true
We could rule the stars
And conquer the planet Mars
And I won't have to hang out at those bars

Repeat Chorus

Outro

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... my-neutron

Is it just me or is the panning very much to the left?

EDIT: :lol: I had my headphones on the desk to the left :dog:

I'm surprised to hear about your DAW issues. Are you using Cubase?

Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:52 pm Is it just me or is the panning very much to the left?

Yes, I am using Cubase. Thanks for the listen and the feedback. And no, the panning isn't to the left. Oh wait, you figured that out. :dog:

Back to the 80s!
Reminds me a bit of Trevor Horn. I think your vocals and his are similar.
Who's Jimmy Neutron?
@1:56, unique chord change, still wondering if I like it not.
But the Bridge in general was very good, as are most of yours.
Guitar solo! Nice. And well followed up with the synth arp.
Like it, well done :tu:

Bansaw wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:29 pm Back to the 80s!
Reminds me a bit of Trevor Horn. I think your vocals and his are similar.
Who's Jimmy Neutron?
@1:56, unique chord change, still wondering if I like it not.
But the Bridge in general was very good, as are most of yours.
Guitar solo! Nice. And well followed up with the synth arp.
Like it, well done :tu:
Thanks for the listen and the feedback. Jimmy Neutron was a cartoon about this genius kid who built rocket ships and stuff. It was in production for about 3 or 4 years.

wagtunes wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:17 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:52 pm Is it just me or is the panning very much to the left?

Yes, I am using Cubase. Thanks for the listen and the feedback. And no, the panning isn't to the left. Oh wait, you figured that out. :dog:
You definitely seem to be making vast improvements to your mixing and production :tu:

wagtunes,
Thank you for the review! Now your tune: my daughter (now 19 years old) went through a phase years ago of watching Jimmy Neutron a lot; not a bad cartoon; interesting computer animation. Your song does sound very 80's, which is fine by me. I like the synth sounds, and all of the melodies. I agree with the Trevor Horn vocal comparison. The panning sounds fine on my headphones (oh wait, that was Mushy Mushy's issue :dog: ) ; and I appreciate the occasional dynamic panning. Nice song! :)
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

:hihi:

aaron aardvark wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:54 am wagtunes,
Thank you for the review! Now your tune: my daughter (now 19 years old) went through a phase years ago of watching Jimmy Neutron a lot; not a bad cartoon; interesting computer animation. Your song does sound very 80's, which is fine by me. I like the synth sounds, and all of the melodies. I agree with the Trevor Horn vocal comparison. The panning sounds fine on my headphones (oh wait, that was Mushy Mushy's issue :dog: ) ; and I appreciate the occasional dynamic panning. Nice song! :)
Thanks for the listen and the feedback Aaron. Much appreciated.

nirm123 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:29 am:hihi:
Well, I'm glad you found something humorous, whatever it was.

Return to “Music Cafe”