Don't put off cloning your drive!

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just a friendly public service announcement, make sure you clone your drive! My Quattro started seriously misbehaving this week, starting with some very stressful errors at a gig. I put in the cloned SSD that I made a year and a half ago (missing some updated work I have done since that point-good reminder to update my clone...) and all is well again. I had been grumbling to myself about spending the $250 for a Samsung 850 pro to match the one in the Quattro and have it just gathering dust in a closet, but I am very glad I did.

I want to thank those of you on the forum that have voiced strong advocacy of having a cloned backup-I don't know that I would have done it without the very specific advice of forum members.

I want to keep my Receptor going as long as possible! There is still nothing out there that I have seen that can fully replace it.

The other thing I have been thinking, after looking at my old posts and help desk messages is that Brian, Kevin, and all of the Muse crew put up with a whole lot of compaints and frustration, and while the hopes dreams and expectations that the complaints were based on were justified to an extent, I think they may have overshadowed just how amazing this machine is, and the dedication it took to get to the end product. I still feel like I am channeling sound from a magic box when I am playing incredibly realistic Sample Modeling cello sounds on my guitar, then push a button and suddenly I am playing ethereal synth sounds with Absynth, all withoug needing to look at a screen or have a laptop on stage (with a chintzy USB connection to the interface that can be easily disturbed-I still have PTSD from my pre-receptor days).

Glad to hear of a happy ending!

"all without needing to look at a screen or have a laptop on stage (with a chintzy USB connection to the interface that can be easily disturbed-I still have PTSD from my pre-receptor days)."

This is why EXACTLY I bought and still love my Receptor...

I agree with everything said. I also believe that hindsight is different than when you're in the middle of an issue. Like having second-hand, miss-rated speakers to deliver your awesome sound to your audience, I was aware that I had an amazing machine but got frustrated with the interface which meant that I could not really use it the way that I knew it could be used. Also, I was unaware of the costly accoutrements that were nearly mandatory like NI K9, 850Pro, and extended service agreement. Those three things raised the price considerably. Without those things I was unable to immediately start gigging with this machine and spent many hours finding workarounds rather than rehearsing actual songs. I ultimately lost work due to the instability of the Receptor as it was in the hands of someone who did not know how to weird it. This still goes on 4 years later but I am much more efficient and know where everything is.

I'm just adding this as disclosure for others who may have purchased a used device or are thinking about it. There will be costs, lots of them, after your purchase. Having said that, I will agree that there is not another device without making one from scratch that does what this machine does as efficiently - though I don't have a MBP 15" i7 quad core to compare.

Regarding a screen, this is a misnomer. You cannot put the machine in Live mode from the front controls. You must connect to some sort of video monitor. Options are the motherboard-attached VGA/keyboard and mouse, computer connected through crossover cable, or computer/tablet/phone connected through WiFi and 3rd party VNC control. Perhaps you can setup presets in a tag, turn on Live mode and, if you have K9, never have to leave Live mode. I wouldn't know because I ran out of money. I went the workaround route. Switching to live mode via phone has been kinda cool as I get to see whats going on with the Receptor backstage before even performing. I've been lucky to keep the Camel Audio stuff going on this thing and Revalver takes care of many other needs. I have some 3rd party KVR competition VST's that run beautifully and sound great. It was vaguely possible to use the Receptor alone as a whole-ensemble mixer and sound generator but I ultimately had to take the load off with a RME UCX (onboard DSP). In a 4u rack I can have a gleaming mix for myself and a few others.

Thanks for the backup HD testimony. Very true for lots of things. I would even say it's good to have a backup for your backup - something that has been expressed by the decade+ Receptor users.
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

I'm OCD about cloning my main system drive. I have it backed up daily on a separate drive with time machine and a separate drive with chronosync. I also have it boot-cloned to a Samsung evo 850 in an enclosure. Sure, 3 backups might sound excessive, but I'd have a nervous breakdown if I lost everything. I'm looking for cost-effective cloud backup service as well to add to my routine. :)

I definitely hear the warning-a receptor is not something to get into if you are not ready to put in a lot of frustrating hours and extra money. That being said, it has been worth it for me in achieving my musical setup goals.
As far as live mode goes-On the operating system included on my Quattro (2.1?) set to rack mode, you select the tag with the top scroll knob then press and hold the bottom scroll knob to enter live mode. If you shut down the receptor while it is in live mode, it will load that same live mode setup when you next power on. It will also change the latency to "normal". The only time I use a screen is when I am doing in-depth editing on a preset.

YES, Press and HOLD will load LIVE MODE from the front panel.

NO…. WAY!!!
Wow. Ya learn sumpn ever day.
Graçias amigos!
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Return to “Muse Research and Development”