Will there ever be rex file support???

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

frg
Last edited by codec_spurt on Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rrr
Last edited by codec_spurt on Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

codec_spurt wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:53 pm he exact question is here or which way you are trying to convert.

This might be of interest to you - it's Mac compatible and costs 5 bucks -

https://audiohelperproject.com/products ... converter/
Cool! Thanks for the heads-up. I've found a few previously unnoticed .RX2 files on my machine. Now to track down the other gazillion free .RX2's out there on the interwebs 😉
Bitwig 5.1.6 + Akai MIDIMix + Launchpad X + MuLab 9.3.18
Roli Lumi Keyboard x 2 + Universal Audio Apollo Twin X
Mac Mini M1 16GB/4TB + macOS 14.4 Sonoma

Another work around is that Kontakt can use rex. Can play the whole loop at desired tempo, and also export the slices to individual notes by using the Wave Editor's "Drag Midi to Host" function.

ericzang wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:12 am Another work around is that Kontakt can use rex. Can play the whole loop at desired tempo, and also export the slices to individual notes by using the Wave Editor's "Drag Midi to Host" function.
Does this work for Kontakt Player as well as the full version?

machinesworking wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:02 pm
mrcleats wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:52 am FWIW, and apologies if it's already been mentioned, and ok, native support would be nice - but the free UVI workstation VSTi supports REX files. You can use this to preview your files and then drag and drop to the arranger/session.
If it actually does drag and drop to the arranger, it's a great solution. I would still love to see the Sampler be able to import Rex and EXS files at the very least. I get not having every library out there, but the super common ones makes sense, since no sample or loop library company I know of offers Bitwig Sampler libraries, but almost all of them offer Kontakt, Rex, and EXS files. Oh, and Ableton files as well.
You can even drag and drop directly from UVI workstation into the sampler - it works with a sampler device and with a sampler in the grid. It's pretty neat.

mrcleats wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:01 pm
machinesworking wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:02 pm
mrcleats wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:52 am FWIW, and apologies if it's already been mentioned, and ok, native support would be nice - but the free UVI workstation VSTi supports REX files. You can use this to preview your files and then drag and drop to the arranger/session.
If it actually does drag and drop to the arranger, it's a great solution. I would still love to see the Sampler be able to import Rex and EXS files at the very least. I get not having every library out there, but the super common ones makes sense, since no sample or loop library company I know of offers Bitwig Sampler libraries, but almost all of them offer Kontakt, Rex, and EXS files. Oh, and Ableton files as well.
You can even drag and drop directly from UVI workstation into the sampler - it works with a sampler device and with a sampler in the grid. It's pretty neat.
I'm not in front of Bitwig right now, but Ableton's Rex import offers it as a drum rack that imports the separate slices to the pads, this is what I would like to see. EXS files wise, there's a bug in the latest Falcon/Workstation as far as import..:dog:

None of this is easy, I get it, it's all reverse engineering, but as an end user, it's nice when it's elegant

carlca wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:17 am Does this work for Kontakt Player as well as the full version?
I don't know, never used or seen Kontakt Player. To import the rex and play the loop, one can just dragon drop the rex file into the empty kontakt instrument panel. To do the slices to notes function it requires opening the editor/wrench icon.

ericzang wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:16 pm
carlca wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:17 am Does this work for Kontakt Player as well as the full version?
I don't know, never used or seen Kontakt Player. To import the rex and play the loop, one can just dragon drop the rex file into the empty kontakt instrument panel. To do the slices to notes function it requires opening the editor/wrench icon.
As expected I can load .RX2 files in the way you describe, but Kontakt Player loads the sample in DEMO mode meaning that after 15 minutes, sound output is disabled. :-(

However, as someone pointed out earlier in this thread, I can use the UVI WorkStation VST to achieve pretty much the same thing :-)

carlca wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:13 pm However, as someone pointed out earlier in this thread, I can use the UVI WorkStation VST to achieve pretty much the same thing :-)
And as someone else pointed out, you can drag from the Drag & Drop panel in UVI...
Screenshot 2020-10-16 at 00.25.48.png
into the Bitwig sampler and the .RX2 file will be automatically converted to a .WAV file. This is all very pleasing ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bitwig indeed needs rex file support.
How can we make this happen..

irtimid wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:29 am Bitwig indeed needs rex file support.
How can we make this happen..
Buy reason studios and code a linux version of the rex file format.

Same as ARA2 probably wont ever appear on Bitwig.
Win 10 with Ryzen 5950x, Bitwig 5, too many plugins, Novation Circuit Mono Station and now a lovely Waldorf Blofeld.

machinesworking wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:53 am A lot of silly arguments here. REX support in most DAWs is import support, the REX file does not stay a REX file, it's converted to audio or in Lives case a simpler Rack. ...
There are little to none silly arguments here (except yours perhaps...)!!

Let´s take the example of Live here even if you are again wrong as you can use a rx2 file of course directly as audio in the arranger... no need to use it in a simpler rack/drum rack...what ever...

What people like you completely miss even if the rx2 files aren´t supported as native format but correctly converted are the benefits of rx2 files like:
- having an embbeded tempo information which is are in a exceptional case true (which I can not always tell from Bitwig´s own) or e.g.
- embbeded slice markers which are exactly where they should be (again which I mostly cannot tell from Bitwig´s own)
- very good sounding "filling gaps" if the target tempo is slower than the original as this is handled very intelligent in the rex format
- a dead easy and save workflow ...

And even if there are perhaps (I never tried any of them) some converters which can keep many of these advantages you would definetely loose the "filling gaps" feature...
There are of course some 3rd party plugins which can do the job but
1. most of them do not have any advanced browse and preview functions which is essential in regards how many rex loops one often have got and
2. I find it nevertheless quite poor that such a popular format still isn´t supported as perhaps the only DAW on the whole market... :tu:

Trancit wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:26 pm
machinesworking wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:53 am A lot of silly arguments here. REX support in most DAWs is import support, the REX file does not stay a REX file, it's converted to audio or in Lives case a simpler Rack. ...
There are little to none silly arguments here (except yours perhaps...)!!

Let´s take the example of Live here even if you are again wrong as you can use a rx2 file of course directly as audio in the arranger... no need to use it in a simpler rack/drum rack...what ever...

What people like you completely miss even if the rx2 files aren´t supported as native format but correctly converted are the benefits of rx2 files like:
- having an embbeded tempo information which is are in a exceptional case true (which I can not always tell from Bitwig´s own) or e.g.
- embbeded slice markers which are exactly where they should be (again which I mostly cannot tell from Bitwig´s own)
- very good sounding "filling gaps" if the target tempo is slower than the original as this is handled very intelligent in the rex format
- a dead easy and save workflow ...

And even if there are perhaps (I never tried any of them) some converters which can keep many of these advantages you would definetely loose the "filling gaps" feature...
There are of course some 3rd party plugins which can do the job but
1. most of them do not have any advanced browse and preview functions which is essential in regards how many rex loops one often have got and
2. I find it nevertheless quite poor that such a popular format still isn´t supported as perhaps the only DAW on the whole market... :tu:
A lot of straw man here. I'm not arguing against Bitwig getting REX import support, mostly I was pointing out there isn't any pressing need for REX shared libraries support in Linux in order for Bitwig to get REX import support since this is what it would be.

I think it's fair to say REX Is a dead format, I don't see any new libraries offering it as a format? I'm sure people will correct me if I'm wrong, but it definitely isn't like it was 15 years ago. I would never call the sort of granular tails REX gives to files when they're slowed down great sounding, at least not in terms of musicality, it's a super old tech and sounds like it. Of the two methods of importing to the timeline, if the file is a melody I would always go with importing as a single file, it will then get much better time stretching from your DAW.

None of that is reason not to support it though, I have gigabytes of REX drum files, some only in the REX format, and anyone doing this for a while does.

Would actually love native rx2 support in bitwig. Just got a surprise when dragging/dropping one in, and I guess Ill have to find a workaround. : /

Return to “Bitwig”