DMGAudio TrackComp 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Krzysztof Oktalski wrote:
sfxsound3 wrote: So what makes you think the hardware you built is behaving exactly the same as the original hardware?
Because we did blind ABX tests with a diversity of material with several original hardware units (apart from the G, because we couldn't find a lot of those in the wild but we did compare it with the channel strip). Atop of that we got a team of highly acclaimed producers and engineers to check it against their hardware.
Was that a secret? Why not write it up in the manual? On the product page? In the first post of this thread?

Thank you Dave and Krz, now I know what I wanted to know. Good luck and take care! :tu:

It's no secret, I believe Dave posted pictures of some of the process on Facebook, but we had assumed that our customers understood that was the nature of our products. We generally avoid making too many proclamations regarding sound quality because it's so subjective, but we'll consider it in the future.

Face what?

sfxsound3 wrote:Face what?
That's why I wrote "I believe", I don't use it personally but I've heard it's very popular now with the youth. :wink:

Krzysztof Oktalski wrote:
sfxsound3 wrote:Face what?
That's why I wrote "I believe", I don't use it personally but I've heard it's very popular now with the youth. :wink:
I think it's more old folks ;) I think "the youth" use other social media to get away from the old folks ;-)
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

Krzysztof Oktalski wrote:It's no secret, I believe Dave posted pictures of some of the process on Facebook, but we had assumed that our customers understood that was the nature of our products. We generally avoid making too many proclamations regarding sound quality because it's so subjective, but we'll consider it in the future.
Indeed, I think many if not most of us knew that you would be testing to actually hear what it sounds like.
Maybe you might also want to add you plugged in the hardware to an ac circuit before you tested it too......

Why would someone go to the extent of building audio hardware to be able to simulate it by spice to just only measure values and not actually listen to them..
It was for many of us a question with a very obvious answer.
rsp
sound sculptist

sfxsound3 wrote:
jens wrote:
sfxsound3 wrote:
I see... So no actual A/B tests with the hardware were made. Talking audio, NOT schematics. Coz you kinda mix the two countries.
Whatthe f**k???

:lol: :shock: :-o :lol:

You most obviously a) have not the fainest of ideas who you were talking to and b) how foolish, presumptous and smug you come across.

At this point it might be best for you to start afresh with a new user-name.
He should learn to communicate and present all the relevant information about his new plugin from the start.

If he's not replying to the simple question I ask - did you make A/B tests - I can only conclude that he DID NOT.

You also have no idea who you're talking to, mmm?
Nowhere in your original question did you mention A/B tests or audio tests. You specifically asked about SPICE, which is what Dave responded to.
sfxsound3 wrote:Noob question: SPICE extends life, SPICE expands consciousness, oops, SPICE is a 'circuit simulator'.

Wikipedia says: What it does is "take a text netlist describing the circuit elements (transistors, resistors, capacitors, etc.) and their connections, and translate[3] this description into equations to be solved."
"A netlist is a description of the connectivity of an electronic circuit. In its simplest form, a netlist consists of a list of the electronic components in a circuit and a list of the nodes they are connected to. A network (net) is a collection of two or more interconnected components. The structure, complexity and representation of netlists can vary considerably, but the fundamental purpose of every netlist is to convey connectivity information. Netlists usually provide nothing more than instances, nodes, and perhaps some attributes of the components involved."

So, have you matched the actual behaviours of these components and of the units as a whole? Can you achieve the exact same end result as the hardware? A description of the circuit - how accurate and detailed can it be and can you rely only on that? Do you rely only on that?
The only thing you DID do was make a statement that no A/B tests were made... no question was asked.
sfxsound3 wrote: I see... So no actual A/B tests with the hardware were made. Talking audio, NOT schematics. Coz you kinda mix the two countries.

It's fairly clear where the communication breakdown was, and it's with you.

jbraner wrote:I think it's more old folks ;) I think "the youth" use other social media to get away from the old folks ;-)
Yeah, number one reason not to go on Facebook - parents & family. If I say anything on there my Mum starts interacting with my mates, hilarity ensues.

Dave, Krzys,

awesome work guys!!! i LOVE this thing!!
the whole Track range of plugins are genius for getting things done fast and in a musical way.

i'll use the 'big boys' when i need to go into nerdy and very detailed musical territories.

one question:

regarding the DMG Model: release time. is this program dependent (or auto-release?).
if not, i'd like to make a feature request. the G Comp Model has that already, so yeah....

please...?

DaveGamble wrote: Well, I did make this: Image
But it's hardly a /track/ compressor, is it? :P

Dave.
Soldering iron, rubber shoes and one hand in pocket...nice build :clap:

In anyway, if you ever feel the need to add a variable-mu design to your plug that fits in the track compressor camp, look no further than the UA176, will keep spice busy for a while :hihi:

http://www.uaudio.com/webzine/2004/febr ... tent4.html

P.S. The manual is well-written and entertaining.

Was there a new build coming today?

I haven't tried this yet since I heard so many complains about the 76D model, which would be my main interest.

It's on the way, hopefully later tonight, perhaps tomorrow.

I can't speak for the UAD version, but this saturates like the hardware. Drive the makeup - that's equivalent to cranking the output gain. ;) Attenuate with OpGain if you like?

Dave.[/quote]

Saturates just like hardware indeed :o
That analog crunch in software :party: :party: :tu:
Great job Dave! Thank you!
Off now to sell my hardware comps.. bye!

Hi everyone,

There's a public beta of 1.01, for the interested, here: https://dmgaudio.com/publicbeta/TrackComp%20v1.01/

It's had some testing and seems all good, but comes with the warning that this IS a public beta, not a release version. Do, of course, let me know if you find anything untoward.

Changes are: v1.00->1.01
- Add Q-Bias to 76 to allow calibrating aggression!
- Rework 76 to avoid breakup
- Rework 76 to implement proper hardware stereo linkage (prevents distortion on wide signals)
- Prevent DC noise when adjusting 76 threshold
- Fix linked GR metering
- Added Sidechain filter for E-Channel
- Fix vertical alignment of some text labels
- Q-Bias/2A text in manual
- Keep UI working when automating to empty Model settings
- Redraw the red bars OVER the sliders
- Stop grabbing keys in Logic X

However, many users do seem to be confused about the distortion of the 76 unit. It's worth pointing out (reiterating what's in the manual) that if you set makeup gain to 40dB, that's equivalent to turning the output knob up to full. This is not something you'd often do on the hardware, because it sounds very angry indeed. With the unit in front of you, perhaps it is more clear that you are at risk of breaking whatever the unit is plugged into. The unit simply does not have 40dB of clean gain. If you want clean gain, like software emulations have, then take 18dB -off- the makeup, and move it to the output gain. Please understand that this unit is nearly 50 years old. It can not do what your software can do.

Dave.
[ DMGAudio ] | [ DMGAudio Blog ] | dave AT dmgaudio DOT com

Thanks Dave, really appreciate having a chance to test the beta. Unfortunately not everything seems to work. Using Reaper 5.61 x64, Win10 x64, trying only the x64 versions.

The preset list opens and I can select different presets, but nothing changes in the UI.
The sliders can't be dragged. New slider values can be typed in, but the sliders still won't change their positions.

However, settings in the Compress column can be changed both with mouse and typing.
Haven't asked nor tested the official demo previously, so can't tell if that would work in my setup either...

Return to “Effects”