DMGAudio TrackComp 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've spent less than an hour with TrackComp at this point and I'm still learning it but there are some things I really like and a few things I'm struggling to appreciate. So I really like the LA-2A distortion for example. It sounds just right. That's been a highlight so far. In fact, with the right settings, this may very well be my favorite LA-2A emulation, which alone may be reason to purchase. Now on to some of the things I'm not gelling with...

Maybe in support of what Zvenx is saying, maybe something different, but I'm hearing something very strange in the 76 release. Load up a Wurlitzer with some tremolo, drop down the threshold a bit, 4:1 ratio, bit of makeup gain, and play some slow chords...there's something very strange happening in the release as it drops back below the threshold. The volume fades back up and out in the middle there. Doesn't even matter if you slow down the attack and release, there's something weird going on there. Now, I've had other 1176 plugins fail on Wurlitzer and crackle due to the super fast attack and release times combined with the bassy/slow frequencies of the Wurli, but this isn't that.

And so far, I really haven't gelled with the GUI paradigm. One of the things that make LA-2A's or 1176's great is their simplicity. I get that the DMG aesthetic is to offer a ton of flexibility, but it's been slowing me down so far. For instance, I don't want to think about the attack and release times of a 2A. The hardware has two knobs and one switch, but there's a lot more going on here. I also want limited/defined parameter ranges for attack and release. For instance, an LA-2A might go between 2-9ms on the attack side depending on the unit, I'd rather have either a preset attack value that'll work most of the time, or a limited attack value that would prevent super fast or very slow attacks. I'm one of those people that's willing to exchange flexibility for a speedy workflow, and so far TrackComp just isn't clicking.

Continuing in that regard, I also don't want to think about the difference between the Makeup Gain and clean Output gain when I'm using the 76, same with Input Gain versus Threshold. The 1176 handles Input/Threshold in one knob, and Output on another, but there are four parameters here to do that task. I've figured out that the Input and Output gain are purely clean, and to stick to Threshold and Makeup Gain for Input and Output gain on the hardware (respectively). I also don't get why pulling the Makeup Gain slider down, increases the gain, unlike everywhere else on the GUI. It's a bit funny as Dave fixed the unintuitive 1176 reversed attack/release knobs, but then added in a reversed Makeup Gain slider which is just as untuitive. So far, I've been spending a lot of time trying to figure out what's the best way to get the sound I want rather than just getting it quickly as a result of some of these design choices. Also, I'm becoming more sensitive to this as of late (probably as a result of aging) but the GUI is a bit on the small size, and while it looks like it should be resizable, I don't think it is.

It's weird because I love Dave's EQ's and Limitless, but I didn't click with Compassion and so far TrackComp just ain't doing it for me either. I'd love to just be able to set the Model, and have an "easy mode" to work quickly with where maybe the attack and release values are fixed behind the scenes for the LA-2A and all there is Threshold and Makeup Gain controls for example.

I already sent a bug report about the issue, but for some reason when choosing the 76D and 2A models in Maschine 2.6.9 and StuioOne 3-latest version__ there's an immediately crash of the DAW's. The plugin works fine in the other models. It does it whether the programs are playing or idle. I will test in other DAW's to see what happens!

Hold down alt, and the attack and release times snap to the hardware values. Shouldn't require too much time (or thought).

Cheers

Scorb
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

Edited

pc2000 wrote:I already sent a bug report about the issue, but for some reason when choosing the 76D and 2A models in Maschine 2.6.9 and StuioOne 3-latest version__ there's an immediately crash of the DAW's. The plugin works fine in the other models. It does it whether the programs are playing or idle. I will test in other DAW's to see what happens!
Did you move the Resources folder after installing? If you re-run the installer, pointing resources at wherever you want it to live, all will work great :)

Dave.
[ DMGAudio ] | [ DMGAudio Blog ] | dave AT dmgaudio DOT com

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Found a bug (or a really interesting feature): if you MIDI control the Model and go beyond the 2A, you'll see 2A with no extra controls. Basically looks like there are a bunch of extra "Style" slots for extra compressors (I'm guessing so Dave can add new ones without breaking anything) and you can access these by MIDI controlling the Model control.
Should be possible to do the same thing with regular old automation... Well aware of this. Relying on it somewhat, in fact. :)

Dave.

DaveGamble wrote:
pc2000 wrote:I already sent a bug report about the issue, but for some reason when choosing the 76D and 2A models in Maschine 2.6.9 and StuioOne 3-latest version__ there's an immediately crash of the DAW's. The plugin works fine in the other models. It does it whether the programs are playing or idle. I will test in other DAW's to see what happens!
Did you move the Resources folder after installing? If you re-run the installer, pointing resources at wherever you want it to live, all will work great :)

Dave.

On Mac anyway (Sierra)
using the latest Maschine 2.6.10 and the latest Studio One using vst3, they were stable for me.

rsp
sound sculptist

Noob question: SPICE extends life, SPICE expands consciousness, oops, SPICE is a 'circuit simulator'.

Wikipedia says: What it does is "take a text netlist describing the circuit elements (transistors, resistors, capacitors, etc.) and their connections, and translate[3] this description into equations to be solved."
"A netlist is a description of the connectivity of an electronic circuit. In its simplest form, a netlist consists of a list of the electronic components in a circuit and a list of the nodes they are connected to. A network (net) is a collection of two or more interconnected components. The structure, complexity and representation of netlists can vary considerably, but the fundamental purpose of every netlist is to convey connectivity information. Netlists usually provide nothing more than instances, nodes, and perhaps some attributes of the components involved."

So, have you matched the actual behaviours of these components and of the units as a whole? Can you achieve the exact same end result as the hardware? A description of the circuit - how accurate and detailed can it be and can you rely only on that? Do you rely only on that?

sfxsound3 wrote:Noob question: SPICE extends life, SPICE expands consciousness, oops, SPICE is a 'circuit simulator'.

Wikipedia says: What it does is "take a text netlist describing the circuit elements (transistors, resistors, capacitors, etc.) and their connections, and translate[3] this description into equations to be solved."
"A netlist is a description of the connectivity of an electronic circuit. In its simplest form, a netlist consists of a list of the electronic components in a circuit and a list of the nodes they are connected to. A network (net) is a collection of two or more interconnected components. The structure, complexity and representation of netlists can vary considerably, but the fundamental purpose of every netlist is to convey connectivity information. Netlists usually provide nothing more than instances, nodes, and perhaps some attributes of the components involved."

So, have you matched the actual behaviours of these components and of the units as a whole? Can you achieve the exact same end result as the hardware? A description of the circuit - how accurate and detailed can it be and can you rely only on that? Do you rely only on that?
Yeah, precisely that. I have folders full of netlists. A netlist is a record of what components there are (and anything interesting about them), and what's connected to what. You then use some kind of MNA with the physics models of the components, to end up with a gigantic NDE, which you solve. Transistor models I use are all standard Gummel-Poon, valve models are the latest matched-to-measurements bits, etc. And then there's just a year of finding a way of getting that to run in realtime. It was VERY interesting building my own SPICE simulator. I strongly recommend it to any CS student looking to distract themselves from their research ;)

Dave.

DaveGamble wrote:
sfxsound3 wrote:Noob question: SPICE extends life, SPICE expands consciousness, oops, SPICE is a 'circuit simulator'.

Yeah, precisely that. I have folders full of netlists. A netlist is a record of what components there are (and anything interesting about them), and what's connected to what. You then use some kind of MNA with the physics models of the components, to end up with a gigantic NDE, which you solve. Transistor models I use are all standard Gummel-Poon, valve models are the latest matched-to-measurements bits, etc. And then there's just a year of finding a way of getting that to run in realtime. It was VERY interesting building my own SPICE simulator. I strongly recommend it to any CS student looking to distract themselves from their research ;)

Dave.
I see... So no actual A/B tests with the hardware were made. Talking audio, NOT schematics. Coz you kinda mix the two countries.

That extra step.

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi, Dave! i have GUI problems at studio, half of it is missing. We're on Hackintosh (Mac OSX 10.8 / Pro Tools 10.3). Had the same problems at home on Windows 10 machine, but solved it with graphic driver update, OpenGL. How can i fix it on Mac? Thank You.

Vortifex wrote:This is a great plugin. Low CPU, no latency. I particularly like the E-Channel and DMG models.
Same here. That E-channel will make any kick stand out in a mix in a VERY nice way.

Good job DMG - as usual..

sfxsound3 wrote:I see... So no actual A/B tests with the hardware were made. Talking audio, NOT schematics. Coz you kinda mix the two countries.
Lolwut? I built all the gear so I could measure it against the output of the SPICE as I went! This was done by PHASE CANCELLING against renders of the hardware!

Plus HUNDREDS of listening tests.

Dave.

Return to “Effects”