Backup in a hurry question

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello.
I am sloooow to the party and have just realised Muse went under. Which kinda means my receptor has been working well.
I am, however, in a few days going on a world tour and now I am a bit paranoid about not having a backup drive.
I use macs - is there a way to back up the drive on that?
I am on operating system 1.9.20111221, so having a quick look around it seems I can't really back up in an obvious way.

Any help is MUCH appreciated right now.

Thank you.

Mac OS won't fully recognize the receptor drive (even though you can mount it on your Mac desktop); some files will remain invisible, and won't get copied properly. Probably your best bet is to use a hardware disk-to-disk clone device such as:

Sabrent-External-Duplicator-Function (there are many brands, but this is what I use)

This device will make a completely useable / bootable / plugins authorized clone of your receptor drive which can then be put away in a safe place.

You have to buy a brand new bare hard drive, same size as your internal drive, and you also have to be comfortable cracking open your receptor and pulling the hard drive out, and then reinstalling it (or the newer backup copy you made).

Yeah you should definitely have a backup drive socked away, if not 2 of them.

Good Luck!

-jt

Thank you very much. I will endeavour to seek one of those out, and quickly.
No-one here is from Sydney by chance?
Also glad to know people are still using and here helping others out.
I guess I'll start perusing the forums and see what alternatives folk are leaning towards.

Hi Cam,
just saw your post and believe I've more or less responded to your question via PM.
But in short, from my experience there's two ways to backup the drives.
Unfortunately both require you to open the Receptor and remove the drive.
Again this isn't an ideal IF you're about to go on stage and find yourself with an error like "cannot boot from disk" or something fatal like that and need to swap drives, but it is insurance in its most basic.

easy way is as plethoraguy said, a decent hardware cloning device. Dock your source in slot 1, destination drive in 2 and push the button and wait. That should be pretty much the long and short.

other way is using linux boot CD's which is what I've been doing. Justification being it's allowed me to clone a source 1tb drive onto a 750gb ssd, which is what I have in my R2+ at the moment, and my backup A is the original 1tb drive which I try to backup (time permitting) every few months using the same process.

I very vaguely recall someone trying a boot CD/USB and trying to clone it whilst still inside the Receptor but unsure of the end result.

A very "nice to have" would be a hardware mod to have the drive in a removeable caddy. Definitely achievable would be running the SATA and power cables out through a hole in the rear and hanging them outside for easy removal. Using 2.5" SSD's this wouldn't be such a bad thing.. bit of gaffa tape to hold it down.. :)
Don't Tech No for an Answer

I am now using a linux boot thumbdrive to archive my RECEPTOR INTERNAL drive to an EXTERNAL USB drive lugged into the back. Works great, I can now just archive whatever files are new or have changed since last backup (takes a few minutes), as opposed to the copying the entire 2Tb every time(takes 2+ hours). Unfortunately getting to that point via linux is not for the faint of heart. It's not bad IF YOU HAVE SOME PROGRAMMING EXPERIENCE.

Return to “Muse Research and Development”