Feature request: "Real" automation values and much finer increments

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Sean

I haven't encountered this before, because I never had to automate one of your plugins.

When I do that (Logic 10.3.1 on El Cap 10.11.6) I see for instance values from 0 to 1 for Decay. On top I wasn't able to automate fine values, e.g. automate from 0.22s up to 0.47s. It jumped between automation values 0.0 to 0.1 = Decay (don't remember right now) something like 0.2s to 0.9s

So I'd like to drop a feature request (probably for all your reverbs):
1. Show "real" values, for Decay in s
2. Possibility to automate much finer increments. All possible values, that can be also set manually on the GUI.

For the latter, you may want to have a look into SoundToys FilterFreak. Its cutoff frequency automation can be exactly set to any possible value. It doesn't "jump". Logic provides the possibility to use a keyboard modifier when moving (increase/decrease) automation points.

I believe this feature would further increase the already superbe awesomeness of your plugins :hug:

Cheerio
Murat
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

@Sean: Is this possible?

stardustmedia wrote:@Sean: Is this possible?
Changing existing values displayed in automation to real values? No. Unfortunately, changing the values in the automation view would also change EVERY SINGLE DAW PROJECT that used the older version of the Audio Unit. This would piss people off. I can't make any changes that change backwards compatibility.

Finer resolution of automation parameters: I'll look into it. I remember Andrew Simper mentioning something about this in the Juce forum. There was a catch, but I don't remember if switching over to the finer resolution code broke existing automation in Logic, or if it just didn't fix older automation that was quantized. I'm not planning any update builds of the plugins for a while, so if there is an update, it won't be soon.

Thanks for your answer.

It's not a deal breaker for me, since I don't automate those values often. It could be something you might introduce in v2 versions, where backward compatibility is not necessary.

Return to “Valhalla DSP”