Repro-1/Hive: Effects on/off and Mod Matrix midi learn missing

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mi-os wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:45 pm May i ask what's the problem with the quality of bx_oberhausen?
Bugs, crashes, purely scaled knobs, limited list of parameters in modulation matrix, inability to modulate effects... But those are fixable. I was mainly disappointed by the sound quality of the filter, which supposed to be the soul of that synth. I was expecting something special from these guys. Something on par with Diva, Repro, The Legend, Tal-Mod - their filters are very different if you know what to listen to. But what I found in bx_oberhausen was unremarkable. Well, to me anyway.

Urs wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 4:53 pm Modulation targets OTOH is a dfferent story, i.e. probably not happening. They are very volatile parameters. As there's often several hundreds of targets in our products, they can't be accessed by MIDI easily. Also, due to the nature of our software and our development process, we can not guarantee that the actual target parameter index stays constant over time. The order can change from build to build. We solve compatibility in our preset format through unique literal identifiers, but we can not make this happen for MIDI or automation. Which is why even if we could make those parameters accessible (we currently can't...), we would strongly recommend not to use them.
Now as I'm really looking forward to Hive 2, a dedicated DIY MIDI Controller is something I would consider building for Hive 2. However, without being able to automate (almost) every aspect a hardware controller stays a wet dream.

I don't know about AAX or AU, but at least in VST2 SysEx seems to be possible, probably in VST3 as well (haven't got any dev experience with VST 3 so far). That would make it possible to retrieve the MM destinations and modify them. Oh, retrieving the waveform display would be extremely cool as well.

However, in my case, it doesn't necessarily need to be MIDI at all. Any protocol would do, and I'm not really keen on a screen capture scenario.

IMHO what all software synthesizers in combination with MIDI controllers lack is that there's no chance to implement a decent hardware user interface. I can't stand the generic "8 faders 24 knobs arranged in a grid" approach - that's why I designed a Novation LaunchControl XL overlay for PunchBox (combined with a custom software), which immediately gave that controller so much more personality and usability, despite the lack of several PunchBox controls not being controllable remotely.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

+1

I have half finished controller stuff laying around and would really like to get something done finally.

@Urs
Please consider making us DIY people happy.

:)

@Drachenkatze

Maybe we should do a list of synth plugins which are DIY friendly. It looks like bx_oberhausen could be on this list, but i haven't tried it myself so far.

I could live without some things like a really complicated sequencer not being implemented, but everything else should be there. And please make the communication bi-directional.

To pervent some already mentioned arguments against some details, please consider a hw-controller mode which has to be switched explicitly on.

So I just bought an SFC-1 controller for Repro and it is awesome.

The only problem is being able to turn effects on and off. The controller has extra buttons that could do the job but these controls are not mappable!

@Urs do you think this will be fixed in the future? You mentioned in 2017 it was in your radar...

Still waiting for full MIDI implementation here. :)

I've put my controller project on ice, but want to continue it soon.

You might need to wait for indefinite amount of time.

EvilDragon wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:43 pm You might need to wait for indefinite amount of time.
You know something we don't? :D

I'm considering getting Hive but would like to know in advance about the missing MIDI parameters. Is this going to happen or not? I'd like to be able to build a dedicated MID controller.

@u-he
Please enlighten us. Thank you!

EvilDragon wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:43 pm You might need to wait for indefinite amount of time.
Never say never, but I don't see it happen anytime soon. We just implemented an alternative concept (modules reporting status to UI) to improve user experience, and it does seem like it could prevent us from implementing MIDI Learn on this.

Urs wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:08 pm
Never say never, but I don't see it happen anytime soon. We just implemented an alternative concept (modules reporting status to UI) to improve user experience, and it does seem like it could prevent us from implementing MIDI Learn on this.
I still don't get why this is such a complicated problem. If i can change parameters per mouse via the GUI it should be no problem having another interface for MIDI to do the same. I mean it's just another interface or layer or whatever you call it.

If MIDI data is sent too fast it can create deadlocks when trying to do file I/O (in case of preset loading). Which is why there's MIDI Programs folder that preloads patches into RAM and then there's no deadlocks since RAM is faster than any hard drive.

As for mod matrix destinations, the issue is that the whole list can be borked once new destinations are added in an update, so there is no consistent solution possible for that one.

Sorry, i think my plea remains valid.

If something can be controlled over the GUI, it must work with other interfaces too. I mean the GUI wouldn't work either if it were true. We had that discussion before, but i was never convinced why it shouldn't work.

You not being convinced doesn't make it any less true.

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:22 pm You not being convinced doesn't make it any less true.
Don't get me wrong, i'm sure you are a nice and helpful person. But it is rather strange to talk about those things with you instead of u-he. I mean i explicitly asked them. Do you work for u-he or why do you answer my questions to them?

Return to “u-he”