Repro-1/Hive: Effects on/off and Mod Matrix midi learn missing

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

No, host automation is a part of VST/AU/AAX plugin standard. It's 32-bit floating point, in fact (IIRC).

You get the list of all automatable parameters when you open the plugin in a DAW, then see the list of automatable parameters...

To control these parameters from a hardware controller, I think you need to be looking into Mackie MCU and/or HUI, or possibly even Eucon... It gets complex really fast from here. :)

EvilDragon wrote:No, host automation is a part of VST/AU/AAX plugin standard. It's 32-bit floating point, in fact (IIRC).
Yeah, but the controller itself needs to connect to the host with some protocol and i suspect this wouldn't be vst host automation. (sorry, you answered this below)
EvilDragon wrote:N
You get the list of all automatable parameters when you open the plugin in a DAW, then see the list of automatable parameters...

To control these parameters from a hardware controller, I think you need to be looking into Mackie MCU and/or HUI, or possibly even Eucon... It gets complex really fast from here. :)
I just remembered reading about some parameters can't be host automated because it could lead to audible artefacts. Since i need all parameters to be remote controllable and some that currently (topic of this thread) aren't support any ways, host automation would be useless for my purposes me thinks.
Last edited by mi-os on Sun May 21, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Any way of automating the parameters (MIDI, OSC, any control protocol like MCU, HUI, Eucon) wouldn't work for your purpose, then.

In DIVA it looks like all parameters on the midi table list (under preferences) are exposed to the host for host automation. But i wonder why some parameters are not there despite being midi learnable - > see Trimmers for example.

mi-os wrote:In DIVA it looks like all parameters on the midi table list (under preferences) are exposed to the host for host automation. But i wonder why some parameters are not there despite being midi learnable - > see Trimmers for example.
We see MIDI primarily as means for sound design while automation is "safe" to use for production.

Many parameters won't ever be automated so we skip those to have a less convoluted parameter list.

Historically there were boundaries as to how many parameters one could automate, but as those losened up over time we added more parameters.

The shorter lists are fine with me as long as i can somehow control everything via configs, midi learn or an advanced mode. Could you confirm that DIVA is fully controllable? To me it looks like that's the case.

Regarding the topic of this thread. May i ask if you intend to complete midi implementation for all or some of your plugins? Maybe Repro-1/5 could be a nice first canidates besides having more slots in the matrix? :D

to Urs and others @u-he

Will Repro/Hive and other u-he plugins get full (eg FX on/off, mod matrix) midi control? If yes, maybe you can estimate when it would be ready?

mi-os wrote:to Urs and others @u-he

Will Repro/Hive and other u-he plugins get full (eg FX on/off, mod matrix) midi control? If yes, maybe you can estimate when it would be ready?
There's no decision yet. It isn't anything that we can just switch on, it'll take a few days of development, just like a few hundred other tasks we have on schedule. I'm all for it, but I also have another mountain of work in front of me :oops:

Ok, thanks. A pity. I take it as maybe some day.

Then i'd focus on DIVA for now. Do you see some issues with full control of DIVA?

To me it looks like:
- i can control all parameters from the controller
- but i can't dump presets from DIVA to the controller

So i could make a sound with the controller and save it as preset in DIVA, but can't get that preset back into the controller. If that's true, i would have to save presets as snapshots in the controller itself, right? Or how would manage the presets?

Yes, u-he plugins don't do MIDI out, so there's no bidirectional communication, no parameter feedback.

Then is saving presets (snapshots) in the controller actually the only way?

This all is a little depressing since i'm building/designing my controller for over a year now and never thought that data communication would be such a big problem.

ps
I thought since the advent of all those touch controller devices (or apps) years ago this problem wouldn't really exist anymore.

Perhaps you should've inquired about this before you started :(
mi-os wrote:I thought since the advent of all those touch controller devices (or apps) years ago this problem wouldn't really exist anymore.
You'd think that, but it's up to the virtual instrument to support them via bidirectional communication, not the other way around.

EvilDragon wrote:Perhaps you should've inquired about this before you started :(
mi-os wrote:I thought since the advent of all those touch controller devices (or apps) years ago this problem wouldn't really exist anymore.
You'd think that, but it's up to the virtual instrument to support them via bidirectional communication, not the other way around.
A thing where the mobile world is way better. Everything talks to everything (mostly).
Still hope for U-he iOS synth in the future :D (I know that will not happen but since some synths are on par with the latest and greatest desktop plug-ins it´s about time).
Performance and editing is often so "vintage" in the desktop world too.

EvilDragon wrote:Perhaps you should've inquired about this before you started :(
You're right :cry:

Maybe i should look at hardware synths? For example Waldorf Blofeld?

The description of VST-AU Blofeld Editor from rekon audio states:
The VST-AU Blofeld Editor is a real-time MIDI synth editor that allows you full control of every parameter of the sound on the Waldorf Blofeld keyboard and desktop synthesizers. All parameters are fully automatable using your favorite VST or Audio Unit capable DAW host, giving you the ability to visually program the Blofeld to your music in the DAW host sequencer, and have this information restored perfectly when reloaded.

mi-os wrote: Maybe i should look at hardware synths? For example Waldorf Blofeld?
I like the blofeld and almost bought one. When I was demoing it I was turned off by the built-in FX, especially the reverb. I also don't like they charge an extra 103 euros for the sampling option in the desktop model.

The Deepmind 12 has both iOS tablet support as well as pretty comprehensive CC and NRPN list. It'd be my go-to if I were trying to do what you are here. Check out the manual here:
https://media.music-group.com/media/PLM ... 2_M_EN.pdf

Start on page 113. There's a desktop version coming so if you can wait you'll save around $100 getting that model.
Feel free to call me Brian.

Return to “u-he”