Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

FathomSynth wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:40 am
I don't understand the following statement:

"The modified presets reload and play as saved in Fathom, but aren't in the folder listed in the browser titlebar"

If Fathom can load a preset but your operating system does not show the file then there is something very seriously wrong with your operating system.

Also, are you trying rename the preset files outside of Fathom, if so you may be screwing up the name formatting.
When I open the 32 bit Fathom preset selector, all the modified presets are listed, whether incremented with a -1, or saved under
a different name, like

Arrival SM-1
Arrival SM-mod

But they don't appear in standard Windows Explorer.
I have dozens of commercial plugins, from Alchemy to Zebra,
and about a hundred freewares, all working fine,
diverse preset browsers from U-he,
IK, NI, AIR, and Izotope etc included.
Not a guarantee the system is flawless...

I have no clue how to, and no motive, to attempt
saving a preset "outside of Fathom". Re-naming I have done
is simple in Fathom's preset titlebar.
The -1 increment is your tool
:?
Last edited by glokraw on Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

A new check, I renamed the standard Fathom.xml, and restarted Reaper, and a new Fathom.xml file is generated. I loaded the 64 and 32 bit Fathoms, one at a time, and their preset browsers
showed the stock Purple Mist presets.

Next, I reverted to the original Fathom.xml file.
The 64 bit Fathom's preset browsers showed
the stock Purple Mist presets,
but...
the 32 bit Fathom's preset browsers showed all
the renamed presets, those done by renaming
in the browser titlebar, and those saved incrementally
with a -1 ...and still none of the renamed presets
are listed in Windows Explorer :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

May I kindly ask to solve you specific problem via support mail or PM?
It‘s quite uninteresting for normal users like me who experience no problems of your kind.
Thanks.

That's fine by me, if fine by Fathom,
and he can PM any time, I will not be easily
offended by a great developer's request.
On the other hand, your interest or lack thereof
is not my concern.

Martinjuenke, Hi, I do agree the subject of preset locations is rather boring compared to feature requests, however I personally don't mind users reporting bugs in this thread especially not if it is one which a lot of people are likely to encounter like this one and for which the solution might be useful for multiple users.

Glokraw,

Yes, it is exactly as I suspected. Applications can not write to either of the locations you listed at the end of the previous post page, that is the Windows programs folder and user folder.

You are correct that those are the most common locations for the plugin executable DLL.
However it is not a good location for preset folders such as the Fathom folder.
At least not if you want to save presets.

You can not save presets to those locations, especially not the Program Files folder. Windows will not allow an application to write to those locations unless you are installing an application in administrator mode which is not the case when a plugin runs from within the host.

Try moving the entire Fathom folder to a location on your hard drive outside of any folders used by Windows.

If you do that then I'm certain the problem will completely disappear.

In terms of other plugins working I'm fairly certain the reason is that, despite the fact that they may put the dll in the programs plugins folder, they are not installing their user presets there. They are probably secretly locating their user presets folder in a user data folder which can be written to.

Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:25 pm Hey guys, I have just recently added my two Fathom soundsets to the KVR product pages. For those who have these and used them. I would greatly appreciate some genuine reviews.
Just reviewed Purple Mist. Love that bank!
FathomSynth wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:46 pm You can not save presets to those locations, especially not the Program Files folder. Windows will not allow an application to write to those locations unless you are installing an application in administrator mode which is not the case when a plugin runs from within the host.
Glokraw, If you want to try, there's a technique I use in windows that gives me access to any and all admin only rights directories. It's called "Take Ownership", and works in Windows 8 and 10 also. It's a registry setting that adds a command to the Context Menu in windows. You don't even have to edit the registry, there's a link at the bottom of this page that has the actual reg files to use here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows ... -in-vista/

For anyone who hasn't had the chance to try Ambietic Atmospheres, I uploaded a 10 patch demo here on KVR that looks like over 50 people have already downloaded, but thought I would mention here just in case anyone missed it:

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/fathom ... /downloads

Very much looking forward to the Wave-Table Import/Intel AVX Parallel Processing release of Fathom to take the concept of what Ambietic Atmospheres was, and amplify that 100 fold! :D
Ambient Sound Design & Soundtrack Composition - http://ambietica.lyonsdenmultimedia.com/

:phones: Fathom Version 2.32 Released + Serum Wave Tables

Ambietica thanks for reviewing SM's New Banks.

Perfect timing I just released Fathom Version 2.32

Unzip password has changed. Hit me up on the support email to get your new password. Please be sure to email your Pro receipt not the Upgrade receipt otherwise I have to look up your email which takes time. I will be out of the office tomorrow Wednesday 8/27/19 but will answer as many password requests as I can tonight.

2.32 is the most massive update yet.

Serum Wave Table Import/Export
Complete audio processor redesign to eliminate edit glitches.
New Wave Table algorithms Overdrive, Compress, Hard Sync.
MIDI Learn.

FathomSynth wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:25 pm :phones: Fathom Version 2.32 Released + Serum Wave Tables
WOW! What timing! I just purchased an update, and can't wait to try this! Oh boy, here comes a sleepless night :lol:
Ambient Sound Design & Soundtrack Composition - http://ambietica.lyonsdenmultimedia.com/

Sorry, if this was described before, but this thread has grown really big.
I bought Fathom at the end of 2017 and received a new unzip password during 2018.
What exactly do I have to do to upgrade to the new version?

Download new version from:
https://www.fathomsynth.com/updates
If your password works - you are ok, if not - you have to write mail to Fathom's support.
Whether you pay for upgrade it's up to you - it's voluntarily if you want to support Fathom's development.
Last edited by Inversion Of Control on Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yes, what he said.

Martinjuenke, I sent you a PM.

That was a little misleading: when I asked for new password and got it soon (thanks for quick reply !) the 2.32 was not available as update, only as payed upgrade. Now it is. Hope not to many stumbled on this...

LOL, actually I intended to make a few people stumble into having to buy it.

This is a massive upgrade in sound quality during dial and point edits, the redesign work took three months for this version, so trust me it is worth a lot more than five bucks.

That being said the free upgrade is now up on the web site.

Thats absolutely o.k. for me but maybe a little confusing to mix this two things up ? I really support the general idea behind this (and the upgrade policy is VERY friendly) and I dont really now how to remind people (friendly) what really is behind this but should be kind of transparent, hope you get what I mean :-).

FathomSynth wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:34 pm Yes, what he said.

Martinjuenke, I sent you a PM.
:tu:

Return to “Instruments”