Diva 2 Wishlist (purely hypothetical, nothing in development)

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:48 pm
Add to that improved chorus :)
I hope a chorus based on Colour Copy will be sufficient.
Am I the only person that likes the Diva chorus? I find the Classic and Ensemble modes very useful.

omiroad wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:49 pm
Urs wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:33 am Arrrgh. I really don't know what to do. Zebra3 all over again.
If I were you I wouldn't participate in speculation threads. If you start talking about what features a non-existing product may or may not have, then you're distracting from the product that actually exists.

I must say I appreciate the transparency.

spacepluk wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:36 pm
omiroad wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:49 pm
Urs wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:33 am Arrrgh. I really don't know what to do. Zebra3 all over again.
If I were you I wouldn't participate in speculation threads. If you start talking about what features a non-existing product may or may not have, then you're distracting from the product that actually exists.

I must say I appreciate the transparency.
I do too. Sure, there's a small risk someone could see plans on an upcoming product and hold off, but I feel like KVR, and the U-he subforum, are small part of the overall market. Out of everyone I know in the real world that produce music with VSTi's, I'm the only forum rat. Plus, 1) U-he has always been VERY generous about upgrades (if someone is hanging out in this thread, they probably know that too) and 2) if I'm looking to fill a need right now, something that might come out in a few years doesn't help me today.

I just think it's evidently a bad strategy, unless you want people to be more interested in "Diva 2" than the actual Diva.

Urs shared that "Diva 2" might have the Velvet effect or it might not. For me that isn't a transparent look in the development process because the project is just a fantasy.
Last edited by omiroad on Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Well, I sure am interested in seeing what people want/expect. I also like to be open on what not to expect, so to keep people from being too disappointed.

If feedback outweighs the side effects for you then I understand.

I can honestly say though that the long standing promise of Zebra 3 made me see Zebra 2 as outdated and it felt frustrating to still be stuck with it instead of being able to use Zebra 3. That may be irrational, but I don't believe I'm the only one, and I don't want the same to happen to Diva.

omiroad wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:34 pm If feedback outweighs the side effects for you then I understand.

I can honestly say though that the long standing promise of Zebra 3 made me see Zebra 2 as outdated and it felt frustrating to still be stuck with it instead of being able to use Zebra 3.
I hadn't thought it'd take that long when I started the thread back then ("hey, Z3 is far away, keep buying Z2 and you'll be better off!").
That may be irrational, but I don't believe I'm the only one, and I don't want the same to happen to Diva.
Me neither.

Urs wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:48 pm An extended filter cutoff range would certainly be a nice option.
YES!!!

Urs wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:48 pm
Elektronisch wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:15 pm aight, good :D

well if its hypotheticly, please add something or do something that Diva would sound brighter then it is :-D especialy this is felt when doing unison :D
An extended filter cutoff range would certainly be a nice option. Also for audio rate modulation.
Add to that improved chorus :)
I hope a chorus based on Colour Copy will be sufficient.
Yes to both please!

Urs wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:44 pm
omiroad wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:34 pm If feedback outweighs the side effects for you then I understand.

I can honestly say though that the long standing promise of Zebra 3 made me see Zebra 2 as outdated and it felt frustrating to still be stuck with it instead of being able to use Zebra 3.
I hadn't thought it'd take that long when I started the thread back then ("hey, Z3 is far away, keep buying Z2 and you'll be better off!").
That may be irrational, but I don't believe I'm the only one, and I don't want the same to happen to Diva.
Me neither.
I don't know... people are going to continue demanding new versions and then be frustrated, irrational, and complain no matter what you do :D

My honest take on it is there are some elements of Zebra2 that feel a little long in the tooth because they are. Thinking: waveform drawing, no MPE, clunky workflow when it comes to managing modules, etc. It's still a terrific synth overall, but you can't help but look at newer U-he products and think "yeah, a Zebra update is due and could benefit from X, Y, and Z from Repro, Hive, etc." That's not irrational at all, and if there had never been any talk of Zebra3 all those years ago, we'd still be talking about a potential Zebra3 right now for those very reasons.

I think Diva has a tiny bit of that too (higher filter cutoff points, better FM), but otherwise feels like a latter-generation U-he product. So I think some, "I love this, but I think it could be even better" talk is to be expected. And that's certainly better than the alternative, which would be silence. If no one were talking about updates at all, I think that would mean Urs either created the perfect synth for everyone, or more likely, that there wasn't a whole lot of interest.

As you can tell I'm sure, I certainly lean towards discussion being more healthy than harmful.

As you can tell I'm sure, I certainly lean towards discussion being more healthy than harmful.
I think this type of discussion would be best just among users to avoid "promises" from devs, but there are good points made against it too. After all I can't complain about getting replies from Urs himself! (Thank you)

Yeah, I've learned to be careful with "promises".

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:09 pm My honest take on it is there are some elements of Zebra2 that feel a little long in the tooth because they are. Thinking: waveform drawing, no MPE, clunky workflow when it comes to managing modules, etc. It's still a terrific synth overall, but you can't help but look at newer U-he products and think "yeah, a Zebra update is due and could benefit from X, Y, and Z from Repro, Hive, etc." That's not irrational at all, and if there had never been any talk of Zebra3 all those years ago, we'd still be talking about a potential Zebra3 right now for those very reasons.

I think Diva has a tiny bit of that too (higher filter cutoff points, better FM), but otherwise feels like a latter-generation U-he product. So I think some, "I love this, but I think it could be even better" talk is to be expected. And that's certainly better than the alternative, which would be silence. If no one were talking about updates at all, I think that would mean Urs either created the perfect synth for everyone, or more likely, that there wasn't a whole lot of interest.

I pretty much agree on all of it.

The dilemma is, we could update Zebra2 with MPE, but it would take away a lot of time. In recent years any development into Zebra2 was always overshadowed by "why do this with Z3 coming at some point?". In the end we might still do it. The concept of Zebra's future is to keep it in our shop even after Z3 is released (like Synapse used to continue with Dune1 when 2 came out). Hence no development will be made in vain.

The dilemma with Diva is, we would love to upgrade her with the filter technology we use in Repro (faster and therefore could get higher cutoff etc). But that will probably have to be a V2. And a Diva V2 is a project very similar to Zebra3. The alternative is adding "engines" or something like we have in Hive. I don't know how beneficial this would be for Diva.

Anyhow. As we'll see with Uhbik, we're clearing up our backlog. The sale with NI earlier this year means that we don't need to release anything new until all of it is done. Focus on updates, maintenance and consolidation. Uhbik 2.0, Zebra 3.0, whatever we decide Diva will be, but also whatever we can do in the realm of Berlin Modular/ACE/Bazille. And in-between hopefully some refurbished MFM and Filterscape. This will take a few years though.

But first of course, we'll have to juggle a lot of testing and scripting and building and notarising to make all our products ultimately compatible with Catalina.

Urs wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:48 am user_id=116627]The alternative is adding "engines" or something like we have in Hive. I don't know how beneficial this would be for Diva.
My vote is for this. I love that Hive 2 overwrites 1. My least favorite thing about being on OS X is the constant slash and burn Apple does, so to me anyway it makes more sense to have to maybe possibly go in and tweak an old Diva 1 preset rather than having U-He recode Diva 1 for some OS update that breaks it etc. In the bigger picture this is much better than having to have multiple copies of the same plug in to preserve old songs etc.

Return to “u-he”