d16 Repeater thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Repeater

I didn't see another thread on this and I for one am weary from the constant/never-ending non-discussion of the actual product :lol:

So far, it works well and there is a nice sound to it.

What I've noticed:

-Really easy to use (the full/dot/trip in a simple click is nice)
-Sounds good
-Nothing overly intense cpu wise

Is "dirty" a word that can be used with this? I guess that is the "vintage?"

I've had one instance where it hung FL Studio from closing but I can't reproduce it again. Mostly it works fine. I do agree with the GS thread that it needs a lock on the mix knob for using presets.

As for the demo, is it like the slate one 14 days? I went through the minor hoops to get it up and running but didn't pay attention. Lush was a completely different demo model, so I'm running blind.

It's about time someone posted a thread for Repeater. I own and love Sigmund, but it's a very different kind of delay. This is where I second-guess myself. When it comes down to software emulations of vintage hardware, I get a little gun-shy since I have no personal experience with any of the original equipment. If anyone out there has, it would be very interesting to know what you think. I'm gonna plug in my guitar and flip through some presets, see what my ears tell me.

I have almost everything that D16 makes. I'm also a sucker for delays so this one is hard to resist. That being said, I also have the SoundToys bundle and I'm not sure if this really offers too much more, sonically, over what I already have there.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Here are my first impressions (I should probably say that I'm nowhere near a pro sound engineer/producer, and I have no experience with the hardware it's modelling):

It covers a lot of the same ground as SoundToys Echoboy, though there seem to be fewer emulations in Repeater and they are restricted more to classic delays (rather than some of the 'experimental' emulations/styles in EchoBoy such as 'Transmitter').

I found the Repeater interface easier to use, but that's probably because there are fewer options for tweaking the delay patterns and individual emulations. The Color control in Repeater is simple but useful, and I get the feeling you could dial in an approximation of most of the emulations/styles that are in EchoBoy but not in Repeater using it.

I like the line at the bottom of the Repeater interface that gives you the exact value of things you're tweaking (such as the HPF/LPF cutoff frequency). The stereo spread control in Repeater is a nice touch which saves you de-syncing the delay times to manually give it some width.

Overall, I think I would be happy with either Repeater or EchoBoy. Since they are both included in bundles, your choice might be determined by which bundle you have.

incubus wrote:As for the demo, is it like the slate one 14 days? I went through the minor hoops to get it up and running but didn't pay attention. Lush was a completely different demo model, so I'm running blind.
If the D16-distributed version needs an iLok you should be able to look in the iLok License Manager and see when the license expires.

the slate version needs an iLok
i think the D16 version is the keyfile only

thecontrolcentre wrote:The other thread is here: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4#p6617934
No, that's the "slag on slate" thread.

deastman wrote:I have almost everything that D16 makes. I'm also a sucker for delays so this one is hard to resist. That being said, I also have the SoundToys bundle and I'm not sure if this really offers too much more, sonically, over what I already have there.
That's a toughy. Echoboy is still the best overall delay in the plugin world.

sqigls wrote:the slate version needs an iLok
i think the D16 version is the keyfile only
When I picked up Lush yesterday it was a simple keyfile, so I'd assume.

I figured it out! If you use control and click the about/options button it shows how long. It's a month! :o

However I don't know if their price is intro. Very generous demo time, it doesn't time out when using it like Lush did.

incubus wrote:
deastman wrote:I have almost everything that D16 makes. I'm also a sucker for delays so this one is hard to resist. That being said, I also have the SoundToys bundle and I'm not sure if this really offers too much more, sonically, over what I already have there.
That's a toughy. Echoboy is still the best overall delay in the plugin world.
Yeah, I think I'm going to have to pass on this one for now. As an existing customer, I can get it for $75 USD, which is still not cheap enough to make it a no-brainer. If I didn't have Echoboy, I'd jump on this one for sure. Maybe they'll do a half off sale at some point and I'll reconsider.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

I bought Repeater yesterday because my music computer is offline and I wasn´t able to unlock the demo.
Couldn´t test it before but know about D16´s quality.

First impression: All delay types sounded very similar to each other.
I own the UAD Echoplex, Roland Space Delay and Cooper Time Cube which are simulated as well in Repeater.

The Time Cube I cannot judge - for me it´s just a digital delay.

But the Echoplex (intensely used by Portishead) is way more than the Repeater version.
I like the original screamy and grungey tone of it - it´s missing here.

The Space Echo is missing some character too. If tested blind I wouldn´t know which one it should be.

The DM Bucket Delay sounds warm and nice - I like!

One can hit the input hard and get some nice saturation, also the self oscillation/ feedback sounds good.

If asked me: I would prefer Repeater over Echoboy, which sounds too muddy in my ears.

BUT: Sigmund is the best dub delay of D16 :phones:
The average bored guy

Best recent delay is ReplikaXT.

ReplikaXT is good, but I'd prefer Stealth Delay by Polygon Sheep personally.

Rekkerd.org the latest news on audio plugins, sample libraries & virtual instruments, synth presets & more.
Don't click here if you can't control yourself!

Return to “Effects”