d16 Repeater thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Repeater

plexuss wrote:I just finished demoing Repeater, listening along with Echoboy and Sigmund. Repeater is different - EB sounds more realistic and warm, the vintage models sound more like the real thing (I started out on the real thing). But the sounds of Repeater are nice too. Repeater is a different beast in terms of topography than EB. For example with EB in dual delay mode, the delays are still share parameters, where-as the delays on Repeater can be made completely discrete. Further with Repeater, you can choose which parameters are linked and which are not. This allows for more control over the spacial nature of the echo. EB is great for "creative" echos especially those with warmth and depth. Repeater is more of a spacial echo. Sigmond is completely different with all its modulation and filtering and 4 echos.

So I think they compliment each other. I couldn't get EB and Repeater to sound the same using their DM-2 modes.

One issue with Repeater: on some models like cassette I am getting a high pitched tone that doesn't go away or change. I did RTFM but saw nothing about this. any idea what it is and how to turn it off (please dont tell me its emulating bias signals lol)
It's interesting to get the perspective of that. I still think EB is king. Not sure if I can do the demo thing with it again, LS why I don't own it. Maybe they are going to have a groovy sale this week? (they've done it before)

incubus wrote:Not sure if I can do the demo thing with it again, LS why I don't own it. Maybe they are going to have a groovy sale this week? (they've done it before)
I d'loaded the demo with a different email address, as I wanted to demo it against Repeater, so maybe that would work for you

I've wanted to own Echoboy for years, and have the suspicion that it will go on sale before the year is out (Hence the re-demo). However, 'XT' gets so close to the functionality of Echoboy (While managing to beat it in certain areas), that I don't know if I can be bothered.

The one great thing about the release of Repeater is that it got me to line up all my delays for my own little shoot-out. Was quite surprised at the result

A big issue I see is that the buffer does not clear when playback is stopped (at least in Logic X), so when you start playback again, the feedback continues from the previous playback.
You are currently reading my signature.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
incubus wrote:Not sure if I can do the demo thing with it again, LS why I don't own it. Maybe they are going to have a groovy sale this week? (they've done it before)
I d'loaded the demo with a different email address, as I wanted to demo it against Repeater, so maybe that would work for you

I've wanted to own Echoboy for years, and have the suspicion that it will go on sale before the year is out (Hence the re-demo). However, 'XT' gets so close to the functionality of Echoboy (While managing to beat it in certain areas), that I don't know if I can be bothered.

The one great thing about the release of Repeater is that it got me to line up all my delays for my own little shoot-out. Was quite surprised at the result
When I had it, it was ilok. Now they have the no dongle thing, but it's still ilok, or has that changed?

incubus wrote:

When I had it, it was ilok. Now they have the no dongle thing, but it's still ilok, or has that changed?
The Slate version uses ilok, the D16 version is key file.

thecontrolcentre wrote:
incubus wrote:

He means Echoboy, which I'm happy to say is dongle-less (Still pace, though)

incubus wrote: When I had it, it was ilok. Now they have the no dongle thing, but it's still ilok, or has that changed?

No, it hasn't changed.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

bite_me wrote:First impression: All delay types sounded very similar to each other.
I own the UAD Echoplex, Roland Space Delay and Cooper Time Cube which are simulated as well in Repeater.

But the Echoplex (intensely used by Portishead) is way more than the Repeater version.
I like the original screamy and grungey tone of it - it´s missing here.
Did you try A/Bing the machines with the "analog" button engaged?

Sound Author wrote:I'm curious to know just how involved the D16 team was in research and development. I could be wrong (which has been known to happen), but until I'm convinced otherwise -- in my not so humble opinion -- this is just another Slate Digital plugin with D16's name on it. Extraordinarily mediocre.
From what I heard/read, the majority of the code is by D16 Group. But the Slate team had influence on the sound. It's a collaboration after all.

audiosabre wrote:It does sound nice though. It's almost reminiscent of Echoes by Nomad (another cool sounding delay), but with more models to choose from.
Echoes focus was on the Echoplex with all other modes being bonus. Repeater is aimed to be a flexible delay sound solution.

audiosabre wrote:Great plugin. Maybe more tweak-ability or some unique features would have helped seal the deal :tu:
Aside from the fact that it's a stereo delay (or two tab if you pan the signals in center), it is fairly tweakable. Though I agree, an additional mono delay mode would indeed be interesting

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:Repeater' seems to be solely focusing on the sound of the delay, and not the mechanics of the delay itself. Nothing wrong with a basic delay, but I don't get why people would put it up against 'Echoboy' or 'ReplicaXT', and certainly not against 'Sigmund'.

Where are the swing, lag, accent options from echoboy/replika? or the 'ducking' from 'XT'? How about the filtering from 'XT'/Sigmund. And what about the complex delay times, and routings from Sigmund?
The concept of Repeater is not a "multi-circuit" delay (alternative would be Hyakken's HY-DELAY2), but a versatile, go-to, "basic" (stereo) studio delay

IMO, YMMV and all that

plexuss wrote:One issue with Repeater: on some models like cassette I am getting a high pitched tone that doesn't go away or change. I did RTFM but saw nothing about this. any idea what it is and how to turn it off (please dont tell me its emulating bias signals lol)
Tried the analog button yet? If you did and it's still there, maybe it's a bug

thecontrolcentre wrote:
kiezum wrote:I like all D16's effect... Why is Repeater so expensive. Why not 39 euro? Echoboy is still king of the delays (although I use Eventide delays a lot!).
I think the (high) price reflects Slate's involvement with Repeater.
Don't think so. A lot of companies have starting prices for tools between 70 to 130 bucks.

Too expensive? Plenty of alternatives, afforable clones even

djanthonyw wrote:A big issue I see is that the buffer does not clear when playback is stopped (at least in Logic X), so when you start playback again, the feedback continues from the previous playback.
You can clear the buffer if you reduce the feedback to 0. Granted, not the best solution, but one to get rid of the audio buffer
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

thecontrolcentre wrote:
incubus wrote:

I meant the soundtoys ECHO boy. I've already used my ilok for the trial.

Quite dissapointing, expected way more. The different emulations sound samey without any different character.

Replika XT has way more possibilities and character.
dedication to flying

I can hear fairly obvious differences between the different models, but maybe I'm hearing things :ud:

I've spent some more time with the demo and I like Repeater a lot but I'm afraid it's a case of market saturation. I've got so many other delay plugins that Repeater just doesn't bring anything terribly new. I'd probably jump on it for a no brainer deal but even with the additional customer discount now I think I'll have to pass..... :?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I hear ya. I've had them all. I've liked and disliked many things about all of them.

In FL, it's kinda like just use the built in one.

You know one that was completely unique to me was the audiodamage dub one. That had that "analog" vibe as much as anything. In fact, I'm not sure I don't still own it somewhere :lol: (but it's not stereo I don't think)

Twrogstudio wrote:I can hear fairly obvious differences between the different models, but maybe I'm hearing things :ud:
Same here, even more so if you use the ANALOG button as well.

Replica (XT or not) does, again, more then the concept of the D16 delay. The diffusion mode and add-on modulation elevate this particular delay into a different realm. D16/Slate Repeater is a "basic" stereo (or dual tab) delay. The focus is on it being a versatile/time tested workhorse rather than a super creative, fully decked out tool (again, try Hyakken HY-DELAY2 for that, or U-HE MFM)

REPEATER is simple in comparison, but does the job that it should and it does it well including really crazy self oscillation

But this is all in the ballpark of IMO and YMMV of course
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:
bite_me wrote:First impression: All delay types sounded very similar to each other.
I own the UAD Echoplex, Roland Space Delay and Cooper Time Cube which are simulated as well in Repeater.

But the Echoplex (intensely used by Portishead) is way more than the Repeater version.
I like the original screamy and grungey tone of it - it´s missing here.
Did you try A/Bing the machines with the "analog" button engaged?
No A/Bing needed. The EP-34 is my long time fav delay - I know it well enough.
Just expected too much from a "simple bread&butter" delay. It´s OK, not more.
The EP-34´s feedback is what it makes singing, with all that magnetic vibe, flutter and
filtering going on. The feedback of Repeater is more static.

Yes I tried the analog button. Gives it a softer/duller touch and a little tempo offset.
The average bored guy

Return to “Effects”