d16 Repeater thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Repeater

what a HIDEOUS sound to make people listen to for eleven minutes.

^ +1000
:shrug:

bite_me wrote:If asked me: I would prefer Repeater over Echoboy, which sounds too muddy in my ears.
I prefer Echoboy when it comes to emulations of things like the Telray: Repeater has a cleaner, clearer sound in general, but I like the ability to dial in a rougher sound with Echoboy. The greater control that Echoboy has means I'll be sticking with it rather than adding Repeater, although I like the D16 stuff overall.

Gamma-UT wrote:
bite_me wrote:If asked me: I would prefer Repeater over Echoboy, which sounds too muddy in my ears.
I prefer Echoboy when it comes to emulations of things like the Telray: Repeater has a cleaner, clearer sound in general, but I like the ability to dial in a rougher sound with Echoboy. The greater control that Echoboy has means I'll be sticking with it rather than adding Repeater, although I like the D16 stuff overall.
Thanks - I was wondering this myself

I'm so happy that this thing disappoints me :shrug: Not even tempted by the 66€ price offered to me as a previous D16 customer

As I could not even demo it without internet connection I uninstalled the demo one minute after installation...

As I already own a bunch of delay units (PSP, AD, UA) this one needs to be something pretty special for me to shell out for it, even at the special offer price. £50 is still a decent chunk of cash. I'm probably gonna give it a miss.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:I'm so happy that this thing disappoints me :shrug: Not even tempted by the 66€ price offered to me as a previous D16 customer
+1.
Installed, tried, uninstalled.

budweiser wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:I'm so happy that this thing disappoints me :shrug: Not even tempted by the 66€ price offered to me as a previous D16 customer
+1.
Same here. I love D16 to tears, but I'm just not feelin' it. Don't get me wrong, Repeater is a "nice sounding" delay. The analog modelling sounds...fine...I guess. I'm curious to know just how involved the D16 team was in research and development. I could be wrong (which has been known to happen), but until I'm convinced otherwise -- in my not so humble opinion -- this is just another Slate Digital plugin with D16's name on it. Extraordinarily mediocre.

Sound Author wrote:
budweiser wrote:
+1.
Same here. I love D16 to tears, but I'm just not feelin' it. Don't get me wrong, Repeater is a "nice sounding" delay. The analog modelling sounds...fine...I guess. I'm curious to know just how involved the D16 team was in research and development. I could be wrong (which has been known to happen), but until I'm convinced otherwise -- in my not so humble opinion -- this is just another Slate Digital plugin with D16's name on it. Extraordinarily mediocre.
'Repeater' seems to be solely focusing on the sound of the delay, and not the mechanics of the delay itself. Nothing wrong with a basic delay, but I don't get why people would put it up against 'Echoboy' or 'ReplicaXT', and certainly not against 'Sigmund'.

Where are the swing, lag, accent options from echoboy/replika? or the 'ducking' from 'XT'? How about the filtering from 'XT'/Sigmund. And what about the complex delay times, and routings from Sigmund?

It needn't be one-stop for delay, but I am not sure when I'd end up using it. The trade-off for the sound would be the functionality, and I have to agree with others that some of the emu's are samey, and pretty tame. The unit felt too 'polite', and even though I can't vouch for the comparative accuracy, I much preferred the sound of the Echoboy emulations :shrug: despite those also being too restrained (I want my delay units to make me regret not limiting the output)

I can see this rounding out Slates package, but don't get how this fits in with D16's lineup. Had they added the emulations to "Sigmund', I'd have happily payed an upgrade fee :shrug:

One thing that's been bothering me with it is hardly hearing a difference between some models. Of course, I can throw different signals at it to coax out the sometimes subtle differences. However, in real world use there is sometimes hardly any audible difference with a lot of them.

It does sound nice though. It's almost reminiscent of Echoes by Nomad (another cool sounding delay), but with more models to choose from. I get where people are coming from if they are already drowning in delay plugins. A few years back this would have been an impulse buy, but when we're used to getting plugins like NI Replica as freebies, it's harder to justify even the discounted price.

Great plugin. Maybe more tweak-ability or some unique features would have helped seal the deal :tu:

Love this delay, but that's not surprising considering it's made by D16. Each mode is uniquely different and the combination of the analog button, colour and being able to push the input into distortion is great. Some of the models sound more authentic than Echoboy, which whilst being fabulous has always fealt a bit generic in its modelling. It's clear D16 have really focused on getting a good model of each rather than the kitchen sink approach, which I like. I didn't need the extra stuff on the originals, I don't need it here (although I do appreciate some may feel the opposite).

I like the fact that Slate have become involved with the likes of D16, Liquidsonics and Scuffham. Great companies that produce fantastic products. I find it refreshing that some of the lesser known, albeit more talented, developers are getting the exposure they deserve.

B.

I just finished demoing Repeater, listening along with Echoboy and Sigmund. Repeater is different - EB sounds more realistic and warm, the vintage models sound more like the real thing (I started out on the real thing). But the sounds of Repeater are nice too. Repeater is a different beast in terms of topography than EB. For example with EB in dual delay mode, the delays are still share parameters, where-as the delays on Repeater can be made completely discrete. Further with Repeater, you can choose which parameters are linked and which are not. This allows for more control over the spacial nature of the echo. EB is great for "creative" echos especially those with warmth and depth. Repeater is more of a spacial echo. Sigmond is completely different with all its modulation and filtering and 4 echos.

So I think they compliment each other. I couldn't get EB and Repeater to sound the same using their DM-2 modes.

One issue with Repeater: on some models like cassette I am getting a high pitched tone that doesn't go away or change. I did RTFM but saw nothing about this. any idea what it is and how to turn it off (please dont tell me its emulating bias signals lol)

I like all D16's effect... Why is Repeater so expensive. Why not 39 euro? Echoboy is still king of the delays (although I use Eventide delays a lot!).

kiezum wrote:I like all D16's effect... Why is Repeater so expensive. Why not 39 euro? Echoboy is still king of the delays (although I use Eventide delays a lot!).
I think the (high) price reflects Slate's involvement with Repeater.

Return to “Effects”