ToneBoosters, I love your plugins

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TB Equalizer v3 TB Equalizer v4 TB ReelBus v3 TB ReelBus v4

jens wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:55 am
mabian wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:44 am I'd say that there are great freebies around that are at least on par (among them the Legacy TB stuff as mentioned).
If the Free Legacy TB stuff is "at least on par" with all the newer TB stuff that logically means every change he made, every new feature he added, every new plugin he instroduced since then is "at least" worthless. Nice one!
Sorry, I was saying they are on par with many other paid plugins around.
However, for example, do you think Reelbus 3 is inferior to Reelbus 4? They are different honestly, but I'm not sure one is better than the other...

- Mario

Well, since V4 can do everything V3 can plus a lot more I can say with confidence that V3 is inferior, yes.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

V4 is one more than V3.

The improvement is pretty clear.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Yes - he added much more control (the different V3 "algos" were under-the-hood parameters that with V4 have become accessible), newer (greatly improved is the general consenus amongst users) algos (plus he also integrated the Ferox algos), delay, flanging, start/stop and more... if that can't be considered an improvement then what can?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I don’t know that I’ll ever understand why the TB thread always gets a bit touchy.

Thanks for the tips.

As mentioned it wasn’t for me and yup, always good prices.

I can only speak for myself here. If a developer (who most probably reads what we write here) who offers high-quality stuff at super-low prices and brings out update after update, year after year and often month after month and with that ads a lot of new features and many improvements for free, I find it (not only factually clearly wrong, but also) simply very respectless to say his older stuff - which he is generous enough to offer for free - is "at least as good" as his newer stuff and I then feel an urge to counter such a claim. It's my personal idea of decency - plus I also do it for selfish reasons because I don't want him to end up thinking "why even bother...?". After all I don't for a split-second assume he might be in it for the money.

Having said that, generally speaking I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with suggesting free alternatives.

jens wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:45 pm ...
Having said that, generally speaking I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with suggesting free alternatives.
And if someone likes the free TB plugins, he or she might buy the new ones. From a workflow and design perspective, they have evolved a lot.

An updated tb module would be nice.
And I think you can mix and people did it already a whole record with the V3 versions. Top notch, it's not that plugin, it's you.

jens wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:45 pm I can only speak for myself here. If a developer (who most probably reads what we write here) who offers high-quality stuff at super-low prices and brings out update after update, year after year and often month after month and with that ads a lot of new features and many improvements for free, I find it (not only factually clearly wrong, but also) simply very respectless to say his older stuff - which he is generous enough to offer for free - is "at least as good" as his newer stuff and I then feel an urge to counter such a claim. It's my personal idea of decency - plus I also do it for selfish reasons because I don't want him to end up thinking "why even bother...?". After all I don't for a split-second assume he might be in it for the money.

Yeah, it's good to admit you're speaking for yourself, same for me.
There are plugins like Omnisome, Broadcast, Module, Flx that are not available or have been changed significantly compared to their newer paid counterpart. Reelbus as well.
It's not only about the quality of sound, it's also about the trade-off also considering workflow and ease of use.
For example, I find it much easier dialing and getting the results I'm after with ReelBus 3 than Reelbus 4, and Omnisome and Broadcast weren't fully replaced with paid versions. And there are other examples.
I don't mean to be disrespectful but sometimes an earlier version is better than the second... and I'm not only referring to ToneBoosters; I already bought many TB plugins and I'm going to buy soon BitJuggler and maybe DualVCF. I support him.
That doesn't mean that every newer version is so much better (all factors considered) than the previous legacy. It was very generous of him to release the legacy stuff for free btw.

- Mario

BitJuggler is a must for weirdest noises that are still pleasant to the ears.
I'm wondering how this plugin having so nice quality consumes so little CPU? Look at the d16 Decimort 2 - this will it your CPU core out.

revvy wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:23 pm V4 is one more than V3.

The improvement is pretty clear.
But v3 looks more analog. :lol:

for some reason I thought Toneboosters had a gate plugin. nope.
was there a gate plugin at one stage?

Yes, is legacy with V3 and can be downloaded and used for free

for some reason i thought there was a v4 gate. Must have dreamt it :P

Hi All,

I picked up Reelbus a few years back but haven’t really used it much. I thought I’d give it another go as from what I can see it has some great features. I have a couple of questions about the various controls that I’m not clear about.

Firstly, the overall tape effect is set by the slider on the input meter. If that’s right then what does the saturate slider do - does it set a maximum amount of saturation?

Second, am I right in thinking that the spectrum slider sets the “tape frequency response amount”? That is, how much head bump, etc is present.

Third, is it right that on the tape tab, the hysteresis slider works a bit like a high-frequency compressor “amount” control, reducing the dynamic range of the HF content, which can then be restored with the makeup slider?

Just trying to clarify what these controls do before I take the plunge,

Cheers!

Return to “Effects”