Patchwork Issues

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have started playing around with Patchwork and have several things to report/ask. I am on a Windows 7 PC and everything is 64-bit. All things (include BC software) that can be VST 3 are VST 3.

First a feature request for Patchwork in standalone mode. If I save a preset with a synth that is not available in a standalone version, it would be nice to create a shortcut to Patchwork in which a preset name follows the program name on the command line and that preset would be automatically loaded. That way, for example, I could have a shortcut named Omnisphere2 that would immediately start that synth running under Patchwork without having to do the extra step of explicitly loading the preset after Patchwork starts. I don't know how this works in the Mac world, but I suspect there's something similar there.

Now on to observed problems. The worst problem is seen when loading MeldaProduction VST 3 modules. In both standalone and under Cubase 8, when loading a Melda VST3, we see a large empty window frame with nothing in it. It won’t take long after that for Patchwork standalone or Cubase 8 to then stop working. I tested this on several Melda plug-ins and saw the same behavior in all cases. To test, you can use one of the plug-ins in the free bundle (I used MOscilloscope).

Also, there is a minor inconsistency in initial displays of loaded plug-ins, both in Patchwork and the BC Mixer when running under Cubase 8. In some cases the plug-in UI comes up in front of Patchwork/Mixer and immediately gets moved to behind it. Sometimes this happens so quickly, it looks like the initial positioning of the editor is, in fact, behind Patchwork/Mixer. If the UI of the plug-in is small, this can be especially confusing since the plug-in window is totally obscured by the larger BC window.

Next a suggestion for documentation. I was pleased to see that I could access my Waves plug-ins within Patchwork, but it took a bit of head scratching to figure it out. If you load the Waves shell, you then get a dialog box asking which Waves plug-in you want to load. This is far from intuitive and it would be good to mention this in the documentation, given that Waves plug-ins are pretty commonly found.

Also I noticed that the Cubase plug-ins show up nowhere when wishing to load them under Patchwork or BC Mixer, but I don’t think this is the fault of Blue Cat. Steinberg tells everyone where they must install their VST 3 plug-ins and then apparently ignore their own rules – I guess that the Cubase plug-ins are kept internal to Cubase in some fashion. But something in the documentation might be of help to first-time users.

Hope this has been useful, and I especially hope you can get a handle on the Melda incompatibility issue.

While your at it...
Please add a 'Control Input/MIDI Channel' select to the Stand-alone also.
It's useless for me to have it respond to all Controllers in Omni instead of picking the ones I want.
I often use it to create and check balance against the other boards I'm using and need these to be completely independent of each other.
As it is now, I have to load it in my DAW to be able to do that.
(So the Stand-Alone becomes useless.)

Bump. Any response? Thanks.

Sorry for the late reply.

- Direct preset loading when drag & dropping on the app/ launching from command line is indeed a good idea. We'll see if it can get implemented in the future.
- About the MeldaProduction VST3s, we have indeed noticed a bug in their implementation which has been reported to them, and according to Melda, it should be fixed in an upcoming release. The VST2 version should work without any problem.
- For Cubase 8, are you using the "Always on Top" option for the plug-in window? I am suspecting that Cubase is changing the z-order of the window after it has been opened, so we cannot do much about it, unfortunately :-(.
- we should indeed add a line about how to load VST2 shell plug-ins (mostly Waves but I think there are a few (old) others.
- The Cubase plug-ins can indeed be found in the C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 8.5\VST3 or C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 8.5\VSTPlugins . But I think you can load most of them only from Cubase.

Blue Cat Audio wrote: - Direct preset loading when drag & dropping on the app/ launching from command line is indeed a good idea. We'll see if it can get implemented in the future.
:tu:
Blue Cat Audio wrote: - For Cubase 8, are you using the "Always on Top" option for the plug-in window? I am suspecting that Cubase is changing the z-order of the window after it has been opened, so we cannot do much about it, unfortunately :-(.
Not the first time I've experienced odd window placement behavior under Cubase. Fortunately, this is just an irritation and not a show-stopper.
Blue Cat Audio wrote: - The Cubase plug-ins can indeed be found in the C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 8.5\VST3 or C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 8.5\VSTPlugins . But I think you can load most of them only from Cubase.
When I looked, I only found a few of the synths but no effect plug-ins. I'll check again in case I missed something. Once again, not a show-stopper, at least for those of us who are serial group-buyers. I've got countless plug-ins of all variety courtesy of a number of bundles acquired over the years. Most of these are things I'd never have a use for, but Patchwork and Mixer make them interesting choices after all. :)

Most effects are probably not available as VSTs, indeed - that's what most DAWs do for bundled effects: they are usually not available for third party hosts.

Good news - the issue with Melda VST 3 displays seems to have been corrected in the latest version (10.00).

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like they were finally able to release their fix. That's good news!

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”