playback does not jump to "release loop"

Official support for: tx16wx.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys, sorry if this is a noob question :roll: I am new to TX16WX (fantastic VSTi, BTW!), have read the forum / manual back & forth but this is still driving me crazy...

I have a sound sampled from a wind instrument containing of 3 sections (see picture below): A short blowing noise in the beginning, the actual sound of the instrument that should loop as long a the key is pressed, and some clicking from the valve once the key is released. However, I have tried using different AEG and window settings, multiple loops / slices of different type, etc. but when I release the key on the keyboard the sound either stops inside the loop or the click is only played much later when the loop has ended.

Has anybody of you experts got some hint for me? How can I adjust the sustain and release loops in the wave editor so that whenever I hit a key
  • the initial wind noise is played
  • the loop continues as long as the key is pressed
  • the clicking sound is played immediately when the key is released
Thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"A world without music would be worse than music without a world."

The release loop is just the loop that will be "active" once the key is released. Sound will not jump to it, mainly because that would in almost every use case generate clicks/discontinuities. Actually, I think the most "common" (at least back in my day - oh I am so old) of the "release loop" is to set it to <none>. Typically you would have a sound sampled, loop the middle for sustain, but have loop set to none, so that on key release you could play the sampled, natural, release instead of just fading the loop.
This obviously requires a short loop, but back then "this was all we had - we were so poor - cackle"... :-)

To achieve what you are after, the typical workflow is probably to separate the main sound from the click sound, then layer two groups, one playing on note-on, with the main, looped sound, and one playing on note-off, with the click sound. (See group settings)
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

Thanks, elcallio, for your quick reply.

I understand your first suggestion (set "release loop" to <none>) but wouldn't this mean that I have to cut several seconds from the sampled file for each note?

I am now trying your second solution: I have generated two groups (with the same split) and two waves for the same .wav-file. The first one plays the initial wind noise and the sustain loop, the second one only the final "click" sound. But now, how can I setup the groups so that loop 1 is played first and wave/loop 2 starts when the key is released?

Sorry that I am so clumsy... :?

In Keyboard Mapper view, press the Switch button in top right corner.

You can either copy the click part of the sample to a new wave, or you can use the "group start" to have the click group start at ~the click time. Check sound controls, AEG/Main, w.start (you can also adjust this parameter interactively in the wave editor, if you set it to non-zero and inspect the wave with the group in question still selected.

To make one group trigger on release, go to the group list, change the "trigger" parameter to "release".

Here is a tiny, clumsy cap:
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

Thanks for the very detailed explanation and tipps! I will be away from my home studio for a few days but I am curious to try it out next weekend...

Dear elcallio and EvilDragon, thanks once more for your advice, I finally understood how to do it :-)

The "group switching" won't work for me since I am not (yet) a user of the PRO version. But according to the nice illustration I could set up my groups with different trigger types to get the desired result. Now I still have to optimise the loop in/out positions in order to avoid or minimise audible discontinuities.

I have the same problem. I adopted a different solution which to me is more rational and it also seems to be the thing suggested (but not well explained) in the manual. I have set up a sustain loop ands it works fine, and also a realease loop (putting it in the release column of the keyboard mapper table) both are set to "forward" mode
when I release the key on my midi keyboard or on the mapper keyboard, the sounds drops and the sampler does not jump executing the release loop. I don't manage to understand why. I suppose there must be some flag to set somewhere to tell him I want him to execute the post sustain part or wave... may be it has somethiong to do with the AEG?
Ciao belli!

The sample cannot "jump". That would cause horrible clicks or worse in most cases. See my reply both above and to your other topic. If you want a different wave/part of wave to play on release, you should look at using two groups + on release triggering.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

Return to “CWITEC”