The Going On Tour Checklist

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello everyone! Sometimes the worst things happen at the worst time and in that moment you just don't have any clue what can be done. Hopefully this thread will help ease the stress and provide solutions as you tour around the world. If you have any suggestions to make as well please feel free to contribute!

To prepare for tour here are few things we think you should do or know of before taking off.

1. Back up your HD/SSD! There are a couple ways of doing this. The quickest and cleanest way is cloning the internal drive to another drive using a cloner or simply purchasing a backup drive from Muse Research. Often computer stores can clone drives. For newer Receptors (VIP/TRIO/QUATTRO) you can use support tools to back up to an external HD via USB.

Users who upgraded to a SSD often have two drives already inside the Receptor. Opening up the Receptor and switching the SATA cables to the other drive may help you out in a pinch!

2. Have a backup plan incase things truly go south. We all know how luggage can be thrown into an airplane. While a well padded case for your Receptor will do wonders you should always have a backup plan incase there is a catastrophic failure. Anything can go wrong and being prepared for the worst will save you some stress.

How you decide to prepare is up to you. Whether it's purchasing a backup Receptor or a keyboard with built in instruments having a backup is always better than no sound at all.

3. Backup your presets to a computer. Similar to #1 backing up your presets can be easily done by showing your Receptor's drive using Remote Tools. You can find your presets in the folder Banks & Patches/Multis/User. This may come in handy if you need to switch to a backup drive that does not have your patches yet.

4. Purchase a case for your Receptor. Briefly mentioned in #2 a sturdy case with padding will help keep your Receptor in good condition. The better the padding the safer the Receptor will be. Something that will account for the bumps of turbulence or potholes on the road.

5. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS turn your Receptor off properly. Double tap to turn off your Receptor before pulling the plug. Repeatedly shutting off a Receptor by unplugging it will likely cost you more time than it does turning it off properly.

6. Consider an uninterruptable power supply and or surge protection. Sometimes the power surges or goes out for a second. Having something to combat against that is always useful. It should be noted that a power conditioner (like a furman) is unnecessary as the power supply of your Receptor will have to work harder.

Please feel free to contribute to the list!

Additonal links:
Youtube channel with additional videos and information: http://www.youtube.com/receptorland

Knowledge base with many troubleshooting articles: http://www.plugorama.com/kb.php

I just had an opening night in a show where the VNC did not register in either my laptop OR my backup iPhone. I had to run the whole show blind. My hand never shook so much in my life. Problem: Receptor connected with my router with address 10.0.0.4 instead of 10.0.0.2. Simple but impossible to figure out in the 7 minutes before I had to go on. Remedy: have plenty of setup time before going on, also, carry an extra screen, mouse, and keyboard. Also carry an extra network cable to try the Muse Remote Control. And have a CD backup of your show.
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Now that Muse has changed so much, I'm wondering about my Qu4ttro.
If I get an external 2TB USB back-up HD, and clone my internal drive...
In an emergency, Can I run my Receptor from that?
JV

Quick answer is yes. Make sure it's a HDD not SSD as the later can degrade over time if no power is put through it.
There is a string in this forum discussing the viability of booting up via external drive. You are supposed to be able to and I think some have had success but others have not. You will need to plug in a screen, mouse, and keyboard.
WIW mine came with an SSD upgrade but still has the original HDD in it. It might be easier in a pinch to open the thing up, and switch the harness.
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Thanks Fishoow.
Any chance you could find me the link to the other thread you referred to?
JV

Sorry JayVee. Took me a minute to get back. I just did a "boot from external drive" search in the box at the top right of the main page of this forum.
One thing I saw was from Bryan Lanser (company exec) saying VIP, Q4tro,3io can be booted up and run from external USB drive. I've seen some others say they were not able to. Quick search should get some info. There's a lot here.
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Hello
Bellow is Link about ssd's degrading over time! It is not true.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2925173/ ... r-all.html
Regarding booting from external drives:As long as the clone is good it will work i have a Q4tro and 3 pro+ receptors i can boot them all from external clones using usb but it is far to slow to be of any use in an emergency.The best solution is to run a sata cable from the units mother board to the outside world on the Q4tro there is a little trap door on the botom of the unit.How you clone the drive is another mater ,i do not trust the receptors built in backup option i have had far to many fails using this ,I would go with An external disk cloner unit or Unetbootin.
Ime happy there are still some people hanging around here .
Ime still using all my units but my rack pc is taking over more and more I just installed Keyskape on it ime gona try and run it on my Q4tro when i get some time.
Kind Regards Andy

Yes. Old habits die hard so I keep checking in. I sank all my money in a T3io a couple years ago so I'm not so into giving up. Regardless I have been investigating building my own computer, a preposterous idea for me a couple years ago. So, I've learned a lot. I agree about a dedicated HD cloning device. But I do have a HD as a backup rather than a SSD cause it was just confirmed to me that the capacitors do discharge over time. I'll do now research though because SSD are more portable. As a backup I'll likely stick with my 1TB HD.

As far as software, I'm checking out Independent right now. Works with my Mac also.
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Can you give us a link to "Independent"?

It says free but to really do anything you have to give them money.

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/indepen ... e-by-magix
Last edited by Fishoow on Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Well, I'm also glad there are others still checking-in here :)
My Qu4ttro is the backbone of my touring rig, and while I'll likely get into Mainstage, and carrying around and a Mac Mini & Monitor, I F'in love my current set-up, and would be totally screwed (and unable to perform!) if the Quattro went down.

Any other info regarding a truly bootable back-up would be appreciated!
JV

JV,

I'm thinkin' Andy's right. Have a backup disc on hand, pop the lid and switch the SATA cables. Easily done in a set break while someone orders you a beer. I have a 256 SSD I'm running on now and the original 1T HD is still mounted in there. If you're the Carnagie Hall type then you should have a back-up mirrored Q4tro. You can probably pick one up pretty cheap by now. :wink:
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Sounds like that's the ticket!

Thanks very much.
JV

Hi all,
Apologies for the ignorance
re switching sata cable inside receptor< my original hdd seems to be glued in! Are you guys putting in a new sata cable directly into motherboard then connecting it to a new sad
ta
Patrick
keep it on the 2 and the 4!

Connectors to components were glue-gunned in just for tour-proof purposes. If you don't have a scrap-booking neighbor or relative then a glue gun is pretty cheap.
Easy to switch out -- physically. Please read as much as you can find in this forum concerning duplicating and replacing hard drives.
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Return to “Muse Research and Development”