Roli Seaboard RISE

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Jace-BeOS wrote:I'm loving my iPad Pro so far, but it's still not a replacement for a physical and tactile keyboard (music or typing). Touch screen is a convenient device that allows for a lot of variability, but tactility is a hugely important thing it will never have. I can type on it for a few sentences, but then I just want physical keys. Same for the music control. It's fun for limited moments of recording expressive bits that you carefully watch your hands on, but still needs a hardware controller for long periods of playing regular parts (I'm not a "proper" keyboardist, either, so it really does matter for those who are). Basically: If I can't feel my way around by touch, I can't really stay with it for long.

Traditional MIDI keys lack the expressiveness potential of things like the Rise, justifying the existence of the Rise. I see the Rise as a "proper" expression device and a touch screen as a compromise (for those of us wanting extra expression we can't create on our standard keys).
Sure,i agree. Some things works better on a touch device and some on a device with tactile feedback. I try to use now my Seaboard Rise for playing only because i really want to master it.
I was very familar with playing apps like Animoog. Te Rise is something like a hybrid of this and a real keyboard. I mapped it to some of my Kontakt instruments and once you set it all up it´s an amazing fun to play with.
Of course as also not beeing a "proper" keyboardist i used often scales etc. F.e. an app like ThumbJam where you can use 4 (or more) different scales at the same time from some hundreads (or your customs) and can switch the key etc. in a heartbeat it´s a lot more versatile, especially on a huge device like the iPad Pro.
The Rise is very expressive to play but is a lot more "fixed" in general. But it bothers me to finally learn playing without any help of scales and midi editing etc.
So far it goes well :D

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WTF..... now i´m a bit dissapointed since i want this now so bad. Just bought the Rise 25 some weeks ago. I think i will resell the 25 and get the 49 then :x
It´s even a bargain against the 25!
Or i wait.... maybe they release a 61 and 88 lol. But 49 is the perfect size for me......WTF!!!

Chapelle wrote:They have announced the Seaboard RISE 49:
https://www.roli.com/products/seaboard-rise-49

According to SonicState, it will ship in late February.
Retail price: $1199 / £949 / €1299.
I was holding out for this - that's more like it!

aMUSEd wrote:
Chapelle wrote:They have announced the Seaboard RISE 49:
https://www.roli.com/products/seaboard-rise-49

According to SonicState, it will ship in late February.
Retail price: $1199 / £949 / €1299.
I was holding out for this - that's more like it!
+1

Glad I waited! :party:

cool info thanks. certainly clears out the question which roli to get.

Fantastic! Now I just need to wait for my tax refund so I can blow it on the 49 key version. ;)
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

I´m just getting slowly dissapointed by them even when i was very euphoric in the beginning.
I´m sure that a lot had prefered a Rise 49 if they had released them at the same time. But what is really annoying are the software bugs with the dashboard and Equator.
Really? What doing the beta testers (are there any). Sorry, but my patience is a bit stretched.
The latest Update of Equator broke all my saved tracks and instruments in Logic (and also all other DAW´s i used demos from) whcih includes Equator. It is only usable in standalone mode yet. Yes, i know i´m whining and today it´s the way with software release in beta version while the users waiting months to things work proper but...... :x :x :x :x
Sorry again.... i will try to calm down :roll:

What bugs in Dashboard? Equator is pretty buggy, indeed. And Bluetooth MIDI pretty much non functional since day one (it drops connection way too often to be usable - every couple minutes, sometimes within few seconds). Thankfully I am not disappointed with my decision of buying 2-octave version as I bought it as a replacement for super-mobile Microkorg, but I feel for others that didn't expect ROLI to release bigger version within 4 months.

Actually let me ask you. How stable are your Seaboard RISE controllers when used through wireless MIDI? Mine breaks every few minutes.

hyperscientist wrote:Actually let me ask you. How stable are your Seaboard RISE controllers when used through wireless MIDI? Mine breaks every few minutes.
Midi over bluetooth works good for me.... on my macbook and also on the iPhone 6S plus. I had also a few disconnections here and there from time to time but very seldom.
On my iPhone the connection is much faster. On my mac the Audio/Midi setup sucks a bit, so i use here mostly the USB connection.
I never would use it in a live situation anyway.
What bugs me that even after another update Equator doesn´t work as it should.... so i have to go back again to version 1.3.
Seems impossible today to release major updates without break the other half :?
In general i´m still a bit dissapointed and begin to regret the buy. Just too many bugs to have fun with all this yet. For a premium price it´s not the right way to catch me :neutral:

hyperscientist wrote:What bugs in Dashboard? Equator is pretty buggy, indeed. And Bluetooth MIDI pretty much non functional since day one (it drops connection way too often to be usable - every couple minutes, sometimes within few seconds). Thankfully I am not disappointed with my decision of buying 2-octave version as I bought it as a replacement for super-mobile Microkorg, but I feel for others that didn't expect ROLI to release bigger version within 4 months.
It still doesn´t save the settings. Maybe it´s still an UI bug but also annoying a bit.
For now i gave up and wait if they ever get the software right. The hardware is great but the software development seems in trouble....
At least it works great with my iPhone and the Roli app. If they at least would add midi out there and a record option, Audiobus or whatever to connect to other iOS apps i could at least use this without further frustation.
I know i´m a "bad" customer but i´m not willing to pay premium and wait months for a seamless workflow!

I updated to the new firmware and software yesterday. Since that time, I cannot get Equator to work at all in Ableton Live. The Rise itself works with other instruments, but I cannot seem to get Equator to react to the Rise at all (and it doesn't react to the Linnstrument either). It worked great previous to the upgrade, but I as yet have found no setting that is causing it to malfunction now. Equator DOES work in Logic, and in Bidule, curiously. It just seems to be Live. I'm hoping that it's user error....

droolmaster0 wrote:I updated to the new firmware and software yesterday. Since that time, I cannot get Equator to work at all in Ableton Live. The Rise itself works with other instruments, but I cannot seem to get Equator to react to the Rise at all (and it doesn't react to the Linnstrument either). It worked great previous to the upgrade, but I as yet have found no setting that is causing it to malfunction now. Equator DOES work in Logic, and in Bidule, curiously. It just seems to be Live. I'm hoping that it's user error....
Edit - played with this some more, and got it working. I rescanned the plugins in Live, and that seems to have turned it on.

droolmaster0 wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote:I updated to the new firmware and software yesterday. Since that time, I cannot get Equator to work at all in Ableton Live. The Rise itself works with other instruments, but I cannot seem to get Equator to react to the Rise at all (and it doesn't react to the Linnstrument either). It worked great previous to the upgrade, but I as yet have found no setting that is causing it to malfunction now. Equator DOES work in Logic, and in Bidule, curiously. It just seems to be Live. I'm hoping that it's user error....
Edit - played with this some more, and got it working. I rescanned the plugins in Live, and that seems to have turned it on.
For me it works only in Logic when connected to the Rise. F.e. it seems to not work with midi input from my mac keyboard (which works in Version 1.3.). That´s a bit odd since i sometimes just want to play some multi-instruments which includes also Eqautor instances via my keyboard but in this case they are silent.
Also all my saved projects with Equator have empty sample OSC and i must switch presets to make it working again. Then preset switching in the stand alone version is a bit of a mess now since there are now 2 banks and it jumps in an annoying way to the patches.
The dashboard seems still to have UI bug and/or it does not save my latest settings.
For now i switched back to the older versions. But here i got also often hanging note via bluetooth now.
The Noise 5D app works much better :D
I wish they would release a full iOS version.......
I´m still dissapointed at this point :roll:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”