How to stop clips being recorded into arrangement when recording a track?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If I've got a bunch of clips looping (in the clip launcher) when I go to record a part directly onto a track in the arrangement (not to a launcher clip) Nitwig decides I also want to record all the playing clips into the arrangement even though I do not arm their tracks:
Nitwig1.jpg
Is there a way to stop this behaviour?? I just want record a part down!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Anyone?

Or should I submit this as another bug report?

I don't think this is possible , your best bet is to record the pattern into the actual clip and then ctrl drag it out into the pattern editor.

Not possible! Really? Wow

slackhead wrote:Not possible! Really? Wow
Thats how it works, it is soo you can record your session while playing with clips into arranger, if you want to record a melody or vocal or something i suggest recording into a clip in cliplauncher :)
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard
laptop: windows 10 x64, i7 mq4700, 12gb ram 1600mhz, 1 tb, asus gt 750

If I understand correctly after rereading your post, maybe you are just unsure of how to switch to be able to record directly into the arranger view, if this is the case just click on the icon directly to the right of scene2 in your pic above...

mikoatkvr wrote:If I understand correctly after rereading your post, maybe you are just unsure of how to switch to be able to record directly into the arranger view, if this is the case just click on the icon directly to the right of scene2 in your pic above...
Do you mean this icon?
this.jpg
That will switch all tracks to playing from the arrangement instead of from clip launcher. This is not what I want as I need to hear the parts to play along to :ud:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ronnyrydgren wrote: Thats how it works,
Again I am completely flabbergasted!

This is breaking the whole point of having 'record arm' buttons on tracks. The whole idea of arming tracks for record is that it allows the user to choice what and when tracks are being recorded. I do NOT EVER want the program to decide arbitrarily that it's going to record onto tracks without my "consent".

I have never seen any other program do anything like this. This is so so wrong! Why why why???

Surely there is some mistake / bug going on here. Please tell me it's noob error on my part and I just have to switch something over to make it work sensibly - please........!

See image please...
clip.png

mikoatkvr wrote:See image please...
Yeap, I know how to record into clips... that's how I recorded the existing clips.

As to the logic:- in this instance I was planning to record a big long section (by jamming along)into the arrange and then edit it later by cutting the long take into sections that I would turn into clips. Seems a lot easier to do this in the arrange view than by recording straight into clips.

I'm sure I can think of many other logical reasons to want to work this way.....

slackhead wrote:
Yeap, I know how to record into clips... that's how I recorded the existing clips.

As to the logic:- in this instance I was planning to record a big long section (by jamming along)into the arrange and then edit it later by cutting the long take into sections that I would turn into clips. Seems a lot easier to do this in the arrange view than by recording straight into clips.

I'm sure I can think of many other logical reasons to want to work this way.....
Well recording that way is not for what you want... its not designed to work on how you want it here :( Its to record the actuall jamming. I see there is a reason for your way. But the only way like everybody been saying and u been understanding is to record directly to clip. Which works awesome for me. Change the loop points and start and end points and then consilidate the clip. Then you can take the perfect take you want easy.
I know if you have other plans in mind but you cant really have booth, either it will record the jamming into arranger or have it like you suggested. Sure there are some benifits from it, but then you wouldnt been able to do the reverse. i like it how it is now =) Jamming in clip recording works perfect btw :)
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard
laptop: windows 10 x64, i7 mq4700, 12gb ram 1600mhz, 1 tb, asus gt 750

slackhead wrote:

jamming along into a clip is one of the great things about the clip launcher
click record and just play for as long as you like, edit out the best parts then drag that clip or clips to the arrange page

I suppose everyone likes their own way of doing things, perhaps make a feature request to the devs and detail what you want to achieve. On second thoughts I can see 1 logical use for this where it could be easier to set time markers on the timeline and use these as reference points for certain changes while recording with an accompanying beat and overall it might be easier to see in realtime where your notes are being placed.
For now tho It looks like your best bet is to record your jams in the clip launcher and drag them into the arranger timeline for slicing etc. ( obviously the edited slices can be dragged back into the clip launcher )
Last edited by mikoatkvr on Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OK so Jammin into a clip might just work out alright.

But, is still doesn't answer my original question or deal with the fact Bitwig is recording on tracks without them being armed, which has got to be a huge big no no.
Last edited by slackhead on Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikoatkvr wrote: set time markers on the timeline and use these as reference points for certain changes while recording with an accompanying beat and overall it might be easier to see in realtime where your notes are being placed.
This.

Return to “Bitwig”