Valhalla support system down? No reply for ages..

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys,

Has anyone had difficulty getting response from Sean/Valhalla via the website support system? I sent a support request several weeks ago and never heard anything, followed up last week and still nothing..

Is anyone else receiving replies to support tickets?

Yup, Sean does a great job. Usually he answers pretty fast and always very kind.

There are several possibilities. First one I can think of that your email get spammed (e.g. the IP of your provider is black listed). Or maybe he's just absent, on vacation perhaps, couple of weeks on a beach, relaxing ... and just forgot to turn on the automatic email answer ;)
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Thanks deft_bonz.

Yeah, I suspected his emails getting spam-trapped, but in my follow-up I asked him to CC a second email account I have just in case... no joy.

Anyway, hopefully Sean will see this thread! :)

If Sean is away, maybe someone here can help you out ;)

What's your issue?

It's a bit of a critical issue with Room, VintageVerb and UberMod in my DAW Renoise.

Since updating to Room v1.1.1, VintageVerb v1.5.0 and UberMod v1.0.2, sampled sound is only being affected for the duration of the sample. As soon as sample playback reaches the end of the sample data, the output sound from the valhalla plugs gets cut off. So in essence, it's like a gate on everything that lasts as long as the sample. Interestingly, if you play two percussion samples in succession with a small gap in between, you'll hear the reverb tail from the first sample while the second sample is playing, but nothing in between the samples or after the second sample has finished playback. This is great for 80's gated snare sounds, but not so great for other stuff, if you know what I mean! :)

Right now I'm working around this by adding long sections of silence to the end of shorter samples, so the effect output extends out as it should, but this is obviously not ideal. :)

This is affecting all 3 Valhalla plugins I have (vroom, vvv and ubermod) and is only affecting renoise on PC (I also work on a Mac at home and haven't had any of these issues there). Also it only affects sample playback (no such issues when affecting softsynths), and it only seems to be a problem with Renoise. Everything behaves as usual in Reaper on this same PC.

I guess not many renoise users are using Valhalla plugins, because this is a pretty critical bug... either that or there's something seriously odd about my PC.

Any ideas?

System info:
Intel Core i7 3.6GHz, 8GB RAM 64-bit
Windows 8.1
Renoise v3.0.1 64-bit
ASIO 48kHz 24-bit through Roland Quad-Capture USB interface

Sorry, I don't know Renoise. But can it be, that there is a setting you can change?

PS: Other reverbs behave the same?

Thanks for your help deft_bonz!

This was never an issue with the previous versions of these three valhalla plugins, and I've never seen this behaviour in any other effect in Renoise (other reverbs included), so there's something fishy going on with these new versions I think. I first noticed this when I played back songs I'd made with the previous versions of these plugins... "Wait up, I don't remember these songs having this cool gated sound! ... oh... :( "

:)

While waiting for a response from Sean you can try turning off the "auto-suspend" option for the plugins in Renoise.

I don't have any Valhalla plugins right now so I used another, but it's exactly the same for any other plugins.

I just found the support emails, in my Spam folder. It might be time to go over to the different bug tracking system that my wife has been recommending.

Anyway, I just reviewed the emails and the above, and my guess is that this behavior is due to two things:

- changes to how the "tail length" is calculated in the Juce framework, and
- how the "tail length" is used in Renoise.

The latest Valhalla plugin updates use a much more up-to-date branch of the Juce framework (early to mid 2014, versus the early 2011 branch I used for the previous versions of the plugins). The more recent Juce framework changed how the tail length is calculated, moving it to a different function. I tested the tail length functionality with the most common DAWs (Cubase, Logic, Pro Tools, Live, Reaper, etc.), and people have hammered on the betas for about a year, and it seems to work well in almost all DAWs. However, I can see in the code where it may work strangely for some DAWs, so I will investigate changing this for future updates.

I also did a bit of investigation into Renoise, and the "auto-suspend" option that xx JPRacer xx mentions. I found relevant info here:

http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Plugin

You should ABSOLUTELY turn off the auto-suspend option. I don't think any other DAWs would presume that a plugin wasn't running while the project was in play mode. Disabling an effect plugin based on the duration of a sample, versus the duration of the song, is REALLY strange.

Another suggestion: If Renoise has sends, use them. This is my generic recommendation: use a send whenever possible. It saves CPU, it makes for more cohesive mixes, and it is just good practice. For tracks that are 100% wet, an insert makes sense, but otherwise using a send is highly encouraged.

Sean Costello

Great to finally hear from you Sean! ... Yeah, if messages from your own server are ending up being flagged as spam, it might be time to consider a new support system :D Wives generally know best. ;)

Both using a send track and also disabling the Auto-Suspend option for the valhalla plugs work, and resolve the issue for now. I'm glad you have some idea of the issue though, and I'll be looking forward to the next update.

Funnily enough, I always use send tracks for reverbs and delays, but just by coincidence the songs that I had done on the PC had a few channel inserts of Valhalla effects, which is why I didn't notice that having the reverb on a send was a temporary solution. So that's that! And while I'm making excuses for myself, I actually didn't know that there was an Auto-Suspend option for effects plugins; I was only aware of this option for AU/VST instruments. So there you go... I learnt something new. Thanks JPRacer!

Thanks guys. Case closed for now. I'll be looking forward to the next update Sean!

Return to “Valhalla DSP”