String 1.15.2 - vst3 + new GUI

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yes, I think that makes sense. I'll leave the issue open, and continue to investigate as and when, but I won't let this hold of the public release of the new build tomorrow (unless anything major crops up.)

As an aside, for those who have the beta, it is well worth updating to tomorrow's public release as it adds the updated manual, additional presets, and a few bug fixes.

EDIT: Got the XML, thanks a lot.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Excellent update, thanks!

I downloaded the demo version ( win 10 , 64 bit ) and it considerably slows down all the graphics animation in my host ( scope etc..) when the gui is shown ( using renoise )
It even skips a lot of midi input ( from pc keyboard ...)
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Ah, OK, I'll have to take a look into that. Are you using the OpenGL or Software renderer? Has anyone else experienced GUI slowdown issues and missing MIDI input issues on Windows?
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

I've found the issue: in some hosts it's repainting parts of the UI every frame. Not quite sure why, but something that I imagine will be easy to fix...

EDIT: Yes, that's improved the UI performance massively. I'm going to hold fire on releasing an update until tomorrow afternoon, just in case there are other teething issues, as I'd like to get that all fixed in the one update.

@gentleclockdivider I'm happy to send you an updated DLL if you want to try the fix on your machine first. If so, could you let me know which version you want (VST2 or VST3).

Thanks
I alos reported the bug over at the renoise forum , since I havethis issue more often with certain plugins ( synapse audio dune 3 , legend ..both demo versions which is why I never purchased them )
Is this issue beause of how the host handles the gui refresh , if so I would be more then happy to point the renoise developers to this ( long standing issue ) ..on my machine
Edit: I wasn't even aware there were rendering options inside the plug , using the open gl renderer everything works fine
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

In this case, the bug was entirely mine.

Essentially, buttons were begin repainted every frame, regardless of whether they had changed their state or note. Depending on a whole lot of factors, all these paints can be handled in different ways: it may paint each button individually, which is nice and quick; or it may decide to work out the biggest rectangular area that contains all the buttons, and repaint that whole area, which is very slow as it ends up redrawing a lot of stuff it doesn't need to.

Their are tools around to help track this stuff down. I use QuartzDebug on macOS, and I'm sure there are similar tools for Windows available.

I've uploaded version 1.15.2.

This (hopefully) fixes the redraw issue that caused poor graphical performance when running with the software renderer in some hosts. Potentially, this could have affected String on any OS - Windows, macOS, and Linux - but if you're not seeing performance issues then I wouldn't treat this as an essential upgrade and feel free to skip it.

Download the updates here.

The new version of Shift working fine for me, but I have a strange problem with String: the AU validation tool doesn't see it at all. I can see it in the components folder, and I didn't get any security warnings when I installed it. The weird thing is that it hasn't failed AU validation, it just doesn't show up in the plug-in list. When I open up projects which used the previous version, Logic tells me the plug-in isn't available. It's as if it wasn't installed at all now.

I've tried re-downloading and re-installing and doing a full AU reset, to no avail.

Did I miss something basic here? Running Catalina 10.15.7, Logic 10.6.3.

Log in and log out, or restart your machine. It's a know issue with Audio Units on macOS, and can affect literally any plugin, as far as I can tell. I've seen devs saying they've been telling Apple about this issue for years, to no avail. Let me know if that fixes it for you.

So yes, I did miss something basic (hangs head in shame). I guess OSX has spoiled me; rebooting would've been the first thing I would've tried on Windows. All good now. Apologies for the trouble!

Many thanks for the update, particularly the 200% zoom. Displays with microscopic pixels became a thing right as my eyesight began to deteriorate, so this is very much appreciated. I love the sound of this instrument. I've got VSM and Arturia's Solina but I keep coming back to this one.

Krakatau wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:46 pm ...Logic Pro (M1/Big Sur)
I'm nearly done on native ARM builds, if you'd prefer not to use emulated versions. If you'd like, I can send you a String ARM beta? Native ARM seems to offer a pretty big performance boost over the emulated Rosetta builds.

double post...
Last edited by Krakatau on Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krakatau wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:11 pm
colin@loomer wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:23 am
Krakatau wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:46 pm ...Logic Pro (M1/Big Sur)
I'm nearly done on native ARM builds, if you'd prefer not to use emulated versions. If you'd like, I can send you a String ARM beta? Native ARM seems to offer a pretty big performance boost over the emulated Rosetta builds.
well...

your last version works fine through rosetta 2 except that the FX version doesn't appear in the au plugin list, so sure it will be appreciated, but no urgent need anymore ...so dont worry too much IMO !

Thanks for the Linux VST3 version.

Return to “Loomer”