Tracktion Linux FAQ

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks...so, I installed the new Waveform update, and I also updated Ubuntu Studio and I realized I had a "broken package"... and now everything seems to run great, I had zero crashes when I worked a bit and tried the things that crashed it before!
Mark Swanson, guitarist and luthier
Click to visit Swanson Guitars
http://www.MarkSwansonMusic.com

I started to get into Tracktion 7 last week on KXStudio 14.04 and really like the gui it's very intuitive.

I have the feeling that Tracktion crashes quite often, even when e.g. editing midi notes (it happened while clearing all notes).

Also when using carla the plugins in carla sometimes freeze, i.e. no sound is generated.

Anyone else with similar issues?

So I finally got around to installing Ubuntu 17.10 LTS the other day because 17.04 is no longer supported. I had waited so long that I had to use a bootable flash drive with the 17.10 ISO on it, instead of the usual upgrade path. It did not give me any option to keep obsolete packages like it does via the upgrade path, so a whole bunch of stuff got hosed during the install and I had to redo my audio setup from scratch. Luckily I have a document with everything noted down, so it wasn't too bad. But now I'm having issues with Tracktion 7.

Two projects that worked fine before in T7 now just crash/freeze every time I open them. I don't think it's anything external to Tracktion because six other projects open and play with no problem. My Jack setup is good, not seeing xruns during the crash. System monitor says Tracktion is using 0% CPU during the crash. Any ideas how I can fix this?

I noticed that the two projects that are crashing on me are the only ones with midi data in them. Anybody have any ideas how I can get these projects to open?

Hi there,

I installed Waveform9 on Debian Stretch recently and found a strange behavior with the carla plugin which is described here:

https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.ph ... 351#p92351

Does anyone else have that issue?

Yes, I have the same issue on Ubuntu Studio 16.04.
In Waveform 9 plugin windows are pushpinned to stay open by default. (This was an "improvement" to plugin GUI handling I wish they hadn't added between Waveform 8 and 9.) In the few seconds "hang" while the top bar is still visible, if I click that pin from red to white, I can at least hide Carla by clicking on a clip. It stays open but in the background. Oddly, when you render a clip from MIDI to audio, Carla closes completely. According to falkTX on the LinuxMusicians website, the top bar issue was a known bug in Tracktion 6 that was fixed and then reappeared. I will make a support ticket at Tracktion since I paid for Waveform 9.
(I had given up on being able to use Carla to open LV2 plugins. After reading your posts I gave it another try and was happy to discover I could use the Calf Monosynth in Waveform via the Carla plugin host, including the GUI, and everything renders down as it should. I could only open Carla as a rack, though -- opening the Carla patchbay crashed Waveform.)

lilith93 wrote:I started to get into Tracktion 7 last week on KXStudio 14.04 and really like the gui it's very intuitive.

I have the feeling that Tracktion crashes quite often, even when e.g. editing midi notes (it happened while clearing all notes).
I'm about to buy Waveform9 in the next week... still doubting because of the crash stories I often read.

However, I don't have another choice. I wanted a stable daw in linux, without using wine.
Ardour doesn't do the trick for so many reasons, so un-userfriendly.

I'm currently using Linux Mint cinnamon. Wondering if I should reïnstall the xfce environment for a more stable system?
Have an old i3 quadcore CPU and 8 gb ram.
Get In Touch^^ Instagram, BandCamp, SoundCloud, Spotify, iTunes,....

bulevardi wrote:
lilith93 wrote:I started to get into Tracktion 7 last week on KXStudio 14.04 and really like the gui it's very intuitive.

I'm about to buy Waveform9 in the next week... still doubting because of the crash stories I often read.

However, I don't have another choice. I wanted a stable daw in linux, without using wine.
Ardour doesn't do the trick for so many reasons, so un-userfriendly.

I'm currently using Linux Mint cinnamon. Wondering if I should reïnstall the xfce environment for a more stable system?
Have an old i3 quadcore CPU and 8 gb ram.
Have you checked the native Reaper build? It does not need wine and is very stable. I use it meanwhile and miss nothing.

lilith93 wrote: Have you checked the native Reaper build? It does not need wine and is very stable. I use it meanwhile and miss nothing.
Yes, someday before I made it to install, don't know how anymore, it was via workarounds, not via the normal way.

Reaper was my favorite daw before, when using Windows. I used VST's like Synth1 where I spent a long time creating presets. Now I cannot get Synth1 running on Linux anymore. Well, I can, using Wine, but it doens't work properly. I cannot see the presets as the pop-up window gets transparent.
I had this problem in Reaper and LMMS too, see screenshot ( https://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27059 )

I'd like to have a good synth like synth1, I hope I can get the same out of Collective, but I don't like to sit there spending hours of time on creating my own presets (like I did a couple of months a year ago).

Reaper doesn't need to be installed.
You just have to extract the tarball and run it.

https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux

But I also heard that Waveform is much more stable than Tracktion. You can play with the demo version first.

Ardour just needs a bit time to get used to it. Hope that they improve midi in Ardour 6.

lilith93 wrote: Ardour just needs a bit time to get used to it. Hope that they improve midi in Ardour 6.
I always use Mixbus32C for mixing/mastering, as well as Harrison and Voxengo (linVST) plugins. I forgot about MIDI and using Ardour/Mixbus when I discovered Bitwig. All creation is done in Bitwig basically. Guitar tracks are sketched in Bitwig then re-recorded for good in Mixbus32C.

Cheers.

lilith93 wrote:Reaper doesn't need to be installed.
You just have to extract the tarball and run it.

https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux

Got reaper installed again via this tarball, but it always opens with a different layout, with an unreadable font. And doesn't seem to be willing to record, audio settings are always incorrect.

Ardour doesn't seem to import the plugins I need. And crashes.

Ok, found out in the .readme file that you can install the specific fonts to make it look ok.
Other notes:
+ If text does not look right, install dejavu or cantarell:
sudo apt-get install fonts-dejavu
or
sudo apt-get install fonts-cantarell
It's readable now, and I could record audio perfectly via alsa settings.
Only thing that doesn't work is my midi in/out. He recognizes the keyboard but gives always an error.

However, I got Tracktion T6 working now where I have both audio and midi working correctly now. Life's great!

I am using Waveform 8 on Ubuntu 18.04.

When I attempt to time stretch a midi clip by alt+dragging the arrows on the leading edge of the clip, it does not work. With the filled arrow, nothing happens. With the unfilled arrow, the end of the clip moves and uncovers midi notes otherwise trimmed out earlier. Neither actually time stretches the clip. Yet the hover text says it should work.

Am I doing something wrong? Can someone else confirm that this does/does not work in Waveform 8 on Ubuntu or even Linux generally?

Lava wrote:I am using Waveform 8 on Ubuntu 18.04.

When I attempt to time stretch a midi clip by alt+dragging the arrows on the leading edge of the clip, it does not work. With the filled arrow, nothing happens. With the unfilled arrow, the end of the clip moves and uncovers midi notes otherwise trimmed out earlier. Neither actually time stretches the clip. Yet the hover text says it should work.

Am I doing something wrong? Can someone else confirm that this does/does not work in Waveform 8 on Ubuntu or even Linux generally?

I cant speak for waveform-8 , but it does work in waveform-9 running on Linux Mint.

Return to “Tracktion”