Bazille - tips & tricks

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bazille

PWM using filter feedback:

Patch a osc1 (sawtooth) into mult 1, any lfo into mult 1 mod input and set mod depth to anything between 0 to 11.50, or higher for thru zero PWM. Then set mult 1 output to filter 1s input and set gain to 48. Set cutoff to 150 and resonance to taste. Then patch lp24 to out 1 or 2 and finally lp24 or any filter type back into the filter input.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

PWM using Quantizer:

LFO (Triangle) -> Rectifier -> Multiplex 1
OSC1 (Sine, Volume = 50) -> Multiplex 1
Multiplex 1 -> Quantizer (1.00) -> Output
= PWM :)

You can get a smoother effect if you lag-process the rectified triangle.

Hello,
maybe this has been requested other times (or maybe it is non-sense) but sometimes I feel limited in Bazille because of not having the scope available to monitor all signals.
What do you think of making two inputs to the scope in order that:
- if the inputs are not connected the scope behaviour is the current one
- if the inputs (or one input) is connected the scope displays the signal carried by the cable

In the second case of course some Y axis scaling (as well as X) maybe needed. Triggering could work as it is now. What do you think? Would it be feasible?

ALberto

Howard wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:33 pm Here's a trick from the upcoming "Cookbook" - you can sweep through the harmonic series by using the FM mode "rel coarse" and setting the quantisation to precisely 1/10 of the FM amount. See attached preset.

Harmonics in Series.h2p.zip
This is a lot of fun. I have a question regarding using the +5V to extend the range of quantisation available: if I add +5V to the signal modulating 'rel coarse', if I have the 'rel coarse' set to 100, how shall I calculate one tenth of that for the quantisation setting?

In other words, if the 'rel coarse' goes from -100 to +100, what is the maximum value when +5V has been added to increase the range?

Adding DC before the quantizer doesn't extend the range, it offsets the pitch and therefore the available harmonics. I don't know offhand, but it's best to experiment with different "voltages". Remember that adding -1V (-20.00) sends it down to 0Hz, so the arithmetic isn't sooooo simple.

Howard wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:23 am Adding DC before the quantizer doesn't extend the range, it offsets the pitch and therefore the available harmonics. I don't know offhand, but it's best to experiment with different "voltages". Remember that adding -1V (-20.00) sends it down to 0Hz, so the arithmetic isn't sooooo simple.
Yes, I see what you mean. Maybe it could work to extend the range if the +5V was being faded in via a multiplex with the modulator. Of course, that would probably mess with the precise values needed for the harmonic series modulation.

---

The other day I discovered a method for creating stereo width in bass sounds while maintaining mono compatibility. This method is based on the fact that noise and random LFOs are produced randomly per stacked voice, even when the voices are not detuned from each other.

If you have a stack of two or more voices, detuned slightly, this creates a lovely wide stereo effect when you pan using 'stack voice' as the source. However, you might want to avoid using detuned voices, to preserve mono compatibility. Well, what I realised is that noise and random LFOs do not care whether a voice is detuned or not: they will be generated randomly for each voice, so any parameters that are modulated by noise or a random LFO can sound 'wide', regardless of the tuning of the stacked voices.

For me, this is a useful and interesting addition to using the 'StackV' and 'Alt' outputs to achieve stereo width. Using 'StackV' is good, but one can identify the difference between what is coming out of each side, whereas in my view, using noise to modulate a parameter creates a sense of width which is closer to that which results from panning detuned voices.

I hope the year of Covid hasn't screwed plans for u-he too badly because I'm still waiting for that cookbook...and hoping that something nice is in the pipeline for Bazille.

pick random map steps at LFO rate:
- noise -> sample and hold with LFO trigger -> CV
- set map to quantise mode, CV as source

lots of fun if you then modulate pitch with map and turn map into a scale, and play around with LFO rate and LFO triggered envelopes.

also since noise seems to act like a sort of random seed *per note* you can do stuff like: play two notes a fifth apart, and it should (I think) generate two different random sequences a fifth apart... fun if you have maps set up to play triads or pentatonic scales

As an exercise, I'm trying to make one of the four envelopes bipolar via Mapping Generators. Would somebody please explain how to do this?

don_sook wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:07 pm As an exercise, I'm trying to make one of the four envelopes bipolar via Mapping Generators. Would somebody please explain how to do this?
Right-click in the map window and select Shapes/Ramp. Mode = Map Smooth, Source = Env4 (for instance). Basta.

Return to “u-he”