Do you think Instruments forum is getting crowded with sound banks and preset topics?

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
Post Reply New Topic

Do you think Instruments forum is getting crowded with sound banks and preset topics?

Yes, they should be moved to Sound Design / Market Place sections
68%
No, I don't care
32%

Total votes: 98

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I make my own presets instead constantly of flicking patch names

and some of those titles are misleading

" insert name here Trance godess released"

im like "yay new synth"

Ugh presets again

I've put out so many sound banks(check Kvr's section" on the net
that charging money for them is strange.

strange like im a canadian-in-the-USA-i-get-hurt-i-have-to-pay-a-doctor type of strange
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

:lol:
..what goes around comes around..

I see it is about time for one of these threads again. :roll: :hihi:

Look, the way I see it comes down to leaving the forum the way it is.

If you want a whole new forum thing it will end up with continual whining about the fact that certain sound designers post something that you don't like...and you would want a separate subforum for each designer then it would be a sub sub forum for various instrument/fx developers and their soundsets...then a sub sub sub forum for those who post freebies ...then a sub sub sub sub forum for IK presets and on and on it would go....

Sheesh. :cry: :lol: :lol:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

trimph1 wrote: If you want a whole new forum thing it will end up with continual whining about the fact that certain sound designers post something that you don't like...and you would want a separate subforum for each designer then it would be a sub sub forum for various instrument/fx developers and their soundsets...then a sub sub sub forum for those who post freebies ...then a sub sub sub sub forum for IK presets and on and on it would go....
then If he gets up . . . we'll all get up . . . it'll be anarchy

there is no uncontrolled, inevitable decline into the mess you predict...it's perfectly logical - as logical as 'effects', or 'samples', or 'hosts' - for 'soundbanks' to have their own space

within the constraints of normal kvr convention, i would imagine sound designers being able to post whatever they wish...in fact, i'd guess that in a bid to keep focus on potential sales that the sound designers in question would make every effort to keep the place well ordered

a well placed 'sticky' in the 'instruments' section to steer folks to the new space might be an idea

Just found that Kriminal had reported this about my PPG Wave 3.V bank (at the report SPAM thread in this sub-forum):
Kriminal wrote:two threads about the same product = spam

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=344042

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5265078

the first link should actually be in the Market Place anyway.
First one is a one year (!!) old thread about the release, informations and discussions about the bank and the second one about a time limited sale (will end in one week).

As in Market place threads are removed after around 1 month (oldest in Market place currently from January 2013) how would i be supposed to keep a thread about my soundset over a longer time. Should i be arsed to bump it every two weeks or so? That would be a real PITA.

There is also no developer sub-forum for that specific soundset.

As long as i or others don't post in that thread again it would be "disappeared" somewhere in the Instruments forum anyway like it was before i added some info about the sale.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
trimph1 wrote: If you want a whole new forum thing it will end up with continual whining about the fact that certain sound designers post something that you don't like...and you would want a separate subforum for each designer then it would be a sub sub forum for various instrument/fx developers and their soundsets...then a sub sub sub forum for those who post freebies ...then a sub sub sub sub forum for IK presets and on and on it would go....

there is no uncontrolled, inevitable decline into the mess you predict...it's perfectly logical - as logical as 'effects', or 'samples', or 'hosts' - for 'soundbanks' to have their own space

within the constraints of normal kvr convention, i would imagine sound designers being able to post whatever they wish...in fact, i'd guess that in a bid to keep focus on potential sales that the sound designers in question would make every effort to keep the place well ordered

a well placed 'sticky' in the 'instruments' section to steer folks to the new space might be an idea
uh uh...

You can always stick announcements like that in the marketplace forum...why add another forum? :shrug:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

trimph1 wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:

uh uh...

You can always stick announcements like that in the marketplace forum...why add another forum? :shrug:
in the same way as instrument/effects/samplelibrary sellers don't sell in the market place, i don't undertand why sound designers would...the marketplace works well as a member-to-member selling forum as well as a place to showcase deals and group buys

in the marketplace it just equates to more mess....soundbanks sold at full price should not be there....however, i see no reason why someone offering a promotion on soundbanks - a la sampleconstruct with his alchemy banks - couldn't use the marketplace to place it

a look at the front page of the kvr forum give a clue as to how well this forum is organised, and yes there are a lot of subs...but it works...it's good organisation....soundbanks are not instruments, and are normally sold at the full, given price, so that kinda rules out the instruments and marketplace sections...or at least it does if you wish to be organised....why would soundbanks, which seem to be growing exponentially, not have it's own space....

giving banks their own space will benefit both buyer and seller, and from the poll results will benefit those who want a better focus in the relevant sections which already seems to be the kvr way

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: giving banks their own space will benefit both buyer and seller, and from the poll results will benefit those who want a better focus in the relevant sections which already seems to be the kvr way
I agree to that and such a new sub-forum should not be "spammed" with posts about other commercial stuff like new plugins etc.
Kontakt based stuff should stay in the Samples sub-forum i guess.

I think there should also be a "sticky" thread in the new sub-forum where we could report threads that should be moved to the new forum. This is not just to report "spam" but also for sound designers themselves to get their old threads moved there. This would be very helpful for the mods.
At the beginning the new sub-forum would maybe look a bit "chaotic" that way but after a while it should work normally.

About concerns realted to the Market place you could also check my last post above and my first post at the first page of this thread.

One limitation for adding threads to the new sub-forum should maybe be that the soundbanks mentioned are still available.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: giving banks their own space will benefit both buyer and seller, and from the poll results will benefit those who want a better focus in the relevant sections which already seems to be the kvr way
I agree to that and such a new sub-forum should not be "spammed" with posts about other commercial stuff like new plugins etc.
Kontakt based stuff should stay in the Samples sub-forum i guess.

I think there should also be a "sticky" thread in the new sub-forum where we could report threads that should be moved to the new forum. This is not just to report "spam" but also for sound designers themselves to get their old threads moved there. This would be very helpful for the mods.
At the beginning the new sub-forum would maybe look a bit "chaotic" that way but after a while it should work normally.

About concerns realted to the Market place you could also check my last post above and my first post at the first page of this thread.

Ingo
disagree.

the more you convolute or complicate the idea the less likely it is to be implemented. what you just listed there was a time consuming nuisance for volunteer mods.

It would be enough that the new soundbank section simply be created, and we move forward from that point on.. rather than expecting the mods to sift through the entire forum sorting out existing threads - madness!

ChiTown24 wrote:
disagree.

the more you convolute or complicate the idea the less likely it is to be implemented. what you just listed there was a time consuming nuisance for volunteer mods.

It would be enough that the new soundbank section simply be created, and we move forward from that point on.. rather than expecting the mods to sift through the entire forum sorting out existing threads - madness!
The mods should move the obvious threads themselves (at least for maybe the last 5 pages of the Instruments forum) but that additional "sticky" thread should be also for those which they forgot.
If possible they could even keep the time of the last post in the old thread so it does not appear at the first page when moved.

Anyway this was just an idea but it seems to be necessary.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Ingo Weidner

Why don't we just wait what Ben has to say about all of this before making any specific plans about subfora and whatnot.

One thing i forgot:

What about soundsets for hardware synths (like e.g. my soundset for Blofeld or the one for the Slim Phatty i'm working on)?

This one i had posted in the hardware sub-forum:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=371174

That thread would also open a question about if only final soundbanks are allowed to be posted or also WIP (work in progress) like that one.

Should those then be posted in the hardware forum or the new sub-forum?

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:One thing i forgot:

What about soundsets for hardware synths (like e.g. my soundset for Blofeld or the one for the Slim Phatty i'm working on)?

This one i had posted in the hardware sub-forum:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=371174

That thread would also open a question about if only final soundbanks are allowed to be posted or also WIP (work in progress) like that one.

Should those then be posted in the hardware forum or the new sub-forum?

Ingo

you seem pretty intent on obfuscating & confusing the issue. Now, why would a soundbank vendor want to do that ? I would have to guess that the current situation suits your pocket-book better. Anyway, it's a cheap gambit to try and sabotage the idea of a dedicated soundbank subforum with suggestions and 'what ifs' that read like a "how to give mods a headache" top-ten list.

ChiTown24 wrote: you seem pretty intent on obfuscating & confusing the issue. Now, why would a soundbank vendor want to do that ? I would have to guess that the current situation suits your pocket-book better. Anyway, it's a cheap gambit to try and sabotage the idea of a dedicated soundbank subforum with suggestions and 'what ifs' that read like a "how to give mods a headache" top-ten list.
I don't get your point. I was making suggestions about how to do a new sub-forum from the first page of this thread on.

I just added some things that should be considered for such a new sub-forum.

As i am doing sound design myself and am directly affected by this topic i have an interest that this new sub-forum is done in a proper way.

after all everything i posted are just suggestions so where is your problem?

In fact that PPG Wave 3.V soundbank (that where Kriminal reported the threads to the SPAM report, see my post above) is not selling really well comapared to my Blofeld bank (for which during a very long time i did not do any additional advertisement except for the last years Waldorf sale and in my signature) which is why the sale is going on now that i had posted at the Market place.

I also did some advertising for Tone2 related soundsets (those where i particiapted like for e.g. Saurus, Rayblaster) but i don't earn a lot by doing those threads as i get a one-time payment for those Saurus and Rayblaster soundsets (and factory sounds) and in one case this was even before the official release. This could change when i do a "signature soundset" with only my own sounds which could happen in the future.

My personal opinion is that a dedicated sub-forum would be helpful so how am i supposed to do "sabotage" for it? You should check my posts at this forum closer.

There are also some sound designers here doing soundsets for hardware synths too (e.g. Cyforce who got his own sub-forum now) so my question in my post above is legitimate.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ingo Weidner

soundsets for hardware are still soundsets...should be in the same place....

keep it simple

Return to “Site Stuff”