Do you think Instruments forum is getting crowded with sound banks and preset topics?

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
Post Reply New Topic

Do you think Instruments forum is getting crowded with sound banks and preset topics?

Yes, they should be moved to Sound Design / Market Place sections
68%
No, I don't care
32%

Total votes: 98

RELATED
PRODUCTS

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
One forum to rule them all
Sounds like NI advertising speak :wink:
No auto tune...

:dog:

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the nods of approval. However, You do not want me as a main moderator for any group; The kvr world would implode due to my strict upholding of rules as well as dismissal of wanton cat photos and other nonsense. I would NOT hesitate to turn this car around! :hihi:

Plus I don't hang around here for 6+ hours at a time like I used too.. :hihi: years ago I lived here.. F5 F5 F5 F5.. sigh..

Wow what a thread :hihi:

Lets have a look a the instrument page now

Synthmaster CM- where are presets? Crashes Cubase. Help

So its about presets, and people wanting help. Is it sounddware ? Or should it be that only people who sell soundbanks should go into the gettho subforum ? Where's the logic ? Should developpers who want to help their users scrutinize some new subforums ?

167 Free presets for Oatmeal, Northern Lights — New Discovery bank by Gigaloo, ElectroniX, new soundbank for ElectraX, Progressive Trance/House Soundset for Nord Lead 3 - miksamusic.com

A lot of soundbanks indeed. Far more offers than they were before. Seems a lot of people want a part of the cake ( Provided such a cake would exist in the first place ) What is really weird is to find the OP promoting his own soundbanks. Again I fail to get the logic here.

The witch hunt :

So some people posting in the wrong forums should be hunted. What about devs posting outside of their forums ?

The cases that dont really fit :

Like the Guess the synth games. This is fun, you can win prizes, and if you can win prizes, its because the developper feels that his synths wont be exposed in an obscure subforum. Then you get in this kind of threads the same, and eventually better, level of discussion about the synths, than in many other threads : Synths are really discussed, there are usually tons of sound examples. Sound is also the real thing when it comes to synths.

other cases that seem to not fit :

Some companies, like Camel Audio, have dedicated threads for soundbanks on their own subforums. Should this be in the subforum as well ? Or different rules for those who do have a company forum on Kvr and those who dont ?

Sound is the real thing :
Usually a soundbank effort will come with a lot of sound bytes exposed. People like Ingo always include a lot of sound examples about this or that synth. Nothing will replace the fact of getting experience yourself with a given synth. Thus, there are those who only speak, and those who also provide sound examples. My personal interest goes more into the second kind of posts (ie those who propose audio demos ). YMMV. Truly some audio demos did give me the will to demo this or that synth, or some definitely did the opposite.

The Market place : Is becoming more and more of few interest for companies, you post a thread and 12 hours after it is on page 4. Should I recommend anything on KVR, I think it will be splitting the market place between personal and professional topics. Making the Market Place more attractive again for companies could be a side strategy to drive developpers to this subforum

Synthesizers and presets, soundware, are intimately tied : They are the same entities. Sound examples and audio demos should eventually be seen as as instructionnal as some endless talking about "more features", "my synth is better than yours" "one synth rules them all" etc etc that one can commonly read. They offer another approach, some other informations, about synthesizers, aka musical instruments. Sound, music, yes that is what is important to me : Hence why I often listen to audio demos of this bank for that synth.

And finally : This or that doesnt interest me :

Well I'm just the same like you, some threads dont interest me. On the current 1rst page, most threads are of none to few interest for me. Eh, I just dont read them :shrug: No rules imposes to anybody to read all the threads of KVR. ( And what applies to threads apply to posters ) I dont read most threads concerning the last synthedit nuggets freewares, but I wont ask for a special subforum place for them because this is not my passion, I understand some people are completely into this, and that they fully deserve to get the information on KVR, as well as I do for other things i'm more into.

Fwiw, ( + don't forget : I'm biased :)

LtZ
Last edited by Lotuzia on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

companies have subforums to offer a much better customer-focused support/experience, not that they should be confined to that space...

camelaudio have every right to post about updates to alchemy in 'instruments', to camelspace and 'phatt' in 'effects...but i think their soundbank threads would go with the others in the soundbank thread

this isn't about exposure (though it will end in better exposure) ; it' not about saying that developers shouldn't advertise outside their own space...it's about organisation.....good organisation is why i like kvr so much. never seen so many categories on a front page, but it's a great thing...once you know what you might find in certain areas, you really can find things (or avoid others) so much easier

instruments need presets and vice versa, but i would argue that effects are also inextricably tied in and i don't see anyone arguing for the merging of the instrument/effects section....then what of the music cafe ?? how many entries are made sans instruments ?? you get where i'm going with this.........

and yes, everyone can ignore and skip that which is of no interest...you still need to do that anyway unless you devour every singe thing about music tech...but to argue against better organisation doesn't make sense.....it's like going into someone's tool shed and finding everything just thrown all over the floor :

"how do you find what you are looking for ??",....

"well i just keep looking through everything till i find it...it's real simple, i just try to ignore everything that isn't what i'm looking for "

:D

ltz, your argument fo the market place makes sense, for exactly the same reason that creating a subforum for banks makes sense

this thread only put on 'paper' what many were thinking - that suddenly there was an explosion of banks being offered...on any given day you could easily find 5 or 6 on the first instrument page....you don't have to be anal about organisation to realise that this is getting big enough for it's own space

it works for both buyer and seller to give proper focus to the banks (without the distraction of the instruments)...why would someone looking for banks need to ignore pages of instrument threads to find random banks lying around

of course, we could just bung everything into one category and use the search function, but that clearly is taking it too far...i just think we should keep things in what seems to be the kvr manner - well organised

Looks like there will be no change.

ive been rethinking on this idea, and i do really think its worth going for.
it may well reduce some of the tensions and releive the mods of some clean up duties when things get out of hand?

Definately, should be a presets subforum - not market place as stuff gets deleted regularly and many preset banks are free anyway.

well, after 8 pages....nothing...it seems to have been completely ignored but who knows ??

Hi all,

I stopped posting my stuff in Instruments way back as even i found it annoying lol. I keep to either marketplace now or the actual developers forum however i have just uploaded a free bank here:

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/dune-by ... /downloads

Not sure where best to post this as Synapse audio have no KVR sub forum. Anyways there's some free sounds for anyone who wants them :-)

Cheers

Rob

Bumping this. I'm tired of seeing people promoting their preset banks there. It's borderline pathetic.

Return to “Site Stuff”