CRX4 GUI bug? [Fixed]

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I noticed that on my system (CRX4 Demo / WinXP SP3 / Cubase 6.5), the font for the Osc and filter types as well as the effects parameters is smaller and blurry compared to the screenshots on the LinPlug website:

[edit] The problem has been fixed. See below.

Thanks,

Vincent
Last edited by Ghostwave on Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

Anyone?

Hi Vincent,

Are you sure your PC is NOT using any custom font scaling? A lot of preinstalled PCs, esp. laptops have a custom font scale set and some applications don't like that, at least partially.

P.S.: I may test on windows xp sp3 (ger) and 7-x64 my CrX4 for you when you think it's helpful.

Good luck!

Helmut, is that you?

I don't think it's a scaling problem.
My PC is custom-built and I installed XP myself.
It could come down to a missing font that gets replaced by another one.
Peter from Linplug has no clue either.

So I actually won't upgrade until I or Peter can fix it as it is really hard on the eyes on my screen.

Ghostwave wrote:Helmut, is that you?
;-)
Ghostwave wrote:It could come down to a missing font that gets replaced by another one.
I'll check that for my systems too. Let's wait and see what some debug view can do ;-)
Ghostwave wrote:So I actually won't upgrade until I or Peter can fix it as it is really hard on the eyes on my screen.
Give me some time after Christmas days. I'll will investigate this in about two weeks because I'm interested in your preset work you may start then soon(er).

Please send me an good (full size) screen shot per PM too, you already have my address ;-)

Thanks.

The picture I uploaded is full screen. It's just that KVR automatically scales it.
Open it in a separate window and you'll see for yourself.
And yes, I would love to work on sounds for it but I can't see myself working for an extended period of time with that problem.

I did a "save picture" and viewed the file my viewer. Yes, you're right, it's full screen ;-)

Please help me to see the problem better in your screenshot.
Do you think also the font used in the arp for steps, gate, tempo number etc.??

At the moment I don't see a real difference to my own and also to linplugs screenshot. Please help me to see better, maybe by a image which compares the areas with the small font next to each other.

I tried also toggling the cleartype setting (for xp), but I see no difference:
https://blogs.adobe.com/typblography/20 ... ws-xp.html

Comparing your screenshot with the one from linplug shows also no differences to me. Also on linplug's the small fonts are somewhat blurry (it's a shrinked screenshot, so it appears somewhat better than it is).

To isolate any "bad" font file I've sent you also a detailed PM.
Here the basic steps for short:

1) get sfk (swiss file knife):
http://stahlworks.com/dev/swiss-file-knife.html

2) generate a md5 list of all your fonts using a command shell and sfk:
C:\>sfk md5gento=g:\temp\font_md5.txt d:\windows\fonts

The first path is the output file (text, check it with notepad), the 2nd your windows fonts folder.

The file content looks like this:

Code: Select all

5995c725ca5a13be62d3dc75c2fc59fc *d:\windows\fonts\arial.ttf
ce4244a1fb311a47a5949948b2dc4eab *c:\windows\fonts\arialbd.ttf
a8370703cb6d5424597f6a4651822726 *c:\windows\fonts\arialbi.ttf
b94c4d211e303045e15c8938d869bf61 *c:\windows\fonts\ariali.ttf
On my system I get this summary after a while:
789 files hashed into g:\temp\font_md5.txt. 9682 kb/sec

3) send me your output file. I'll check for difference on same fonts, so I may point the "bad" ones out for you (windows xp and 7-x64).

I did a quick look today with sysinternal's string utility yet and it looks like (line 18751) only "arial" and "symbol" font are used by CrX4 by first review.

I also tried to format the text "Arial ?pt: Loop Sampler" in windows wordpad in sizes 6 (looks like the blurry in CrX4), 7 (ok) and 8 (ok and available as drop-down selection). IMO this maybe just a "too small font size" problem.

Good luck and Merry Christmas!

P.S.: You may also try substitution or restore of fonts:
http://labnol.blogspot.de/2006/03/how-t ... blems.html

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... 992ebc2a1a

For those controls the font is installed with CrX4, PF-Tempesta_Seven, maybe the install failed on your machine, however, I not had any other reports. You might try installing again.

Peter from LinPlug wrote:For those controls the font is installed with CrX4, PF-Tempesta_Seven, ...
Thanks Peter for the hint, now I got the problem! The installed font on "windows xp" is "PF Tempesta Seven" but inside CrX4 the requested font is "PF Tempesta Seven Plus" !
In output line 21048 of "string.exe" this name can be found.

Windows XP seems to substitute in this case for "Arial", which looks really blurry in 6pt.

Using the manual font substitution of "windows xp" you may fix the blurry fonts to sharp ones easily. Just import these lines into your registry of "windows xp":

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes]
"PF Tempesta Seven Plus,6"="PF Tempesta Seven,6"
"PF Tempesta Seven Plus,7"="PF Tempesta Seven,7"
"PF Tempesta Seven Plus,8"="PF Tempesta Seven,8"
"PF Tempesta Seven Plus,9"="PF Tempesta Seven,9"
"PF Tempesta Seven Plus,10"="PF Tempesta Seven,10"
I did this for 6pt to 10pt to hopefully cover all needs so far.

Of course you may also rename the internal font's name using a free editor like http://www.cr8software.net/typelight.html. This will do the job also for vista and 7. Changing only the font's file name does not do the job.

Maybe one day Peter will fix the installer to place a font name matching 100% to the one referenced inside CrX4.

Enjoy the sharp fonts now and don't forget it's time to update now, Vincent ;-)

Thanks for your work.
I'll sure check it out ASAP and will upgrade over the weeked.
I'm sure Peter will be thankful too...

Just an update.
The fix did work perfectly! That's really awesome.
Thanks a million times.

Good to know about the font fix. Reminds me that I have to get the latest update from LP anyway.
I do recall having some other issues earlier with the font color and size, but only in the patch name field.

STV

Just as an aside: Looking at the settings in the screenshot, I think that patch looks really familiar to me. :)

As I said to TheRealFreak via mail already: thanks and we'll fix that of course.

For everyone who don't like to import the font substitution to the registry, there is the alternate way of preparing the properly named font (file name is not enough!). I've mentioned it before, but now explained in detail, just to complete this thread:

(1) get free typelight from: http://www.cr8software.net/typelight.html
(1) runs on: Windows 8, 7, Vista, XP, 2000 or 98, 256MB min. 32-bit or 64-bit
(1) and install it of course

(2) in your windows fonts folder (%windir%\fonts):
(2) copy the font file "pf_tempesta_seven.ttf" to "pf_tempesta_seven_plus.ttf"
(2) e.g. at the command line via: copy "%windir%\fonts\pf_tempesta_seven.ttf" "%windir%\fonts\pf_tempesta_seven_plus.ttf"

(3) open "%windir%\fonts\pf_tempesta_seven_plus.ttf" in typelight (copy & paste the text between the quotes in the file name box)
(3) select 'Names' from menu 'Font'
(3) replace 'Family Name' and 'Full Name' with (no ' ' !): 'PF Tempesta Seven Plus'
(3) save "%windir%\fonts\pf_tempesta_seven_plus.ttf"

(4) enjoy ;-)

Peter is also aware about this and I've sent him a ready font file too, which you may get directly from him by request.

Return to “LinPlug”