[Fixed] midiPads midiBugs

Official support for: thepiz.org
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello! I discovered some problems with midiPads.
I'm trying to use it to toggle switch in another plug-in between 2 positions (on/off) from MIDI-keyboard (in Bidule-based setup).
So, I have a pad set in "toggle" mode with Midi Triggering on and "Send Note Values" on.
I hooked up midi-control of target switch position to some CC (111, for example), so now I want a control pad to emit 2 values of C111(127 and 0) in on/off positions correspondingly.

So I set Pad values to: CC (instead of Note), Toggle Mode, Send Off Values; Y-CC#=111, On Value = 127, Off Value =0

This works fine as far as I use my mouse to activate pad and don't use MIDI triggering.

Once I start to use a note on my keyboard to trigger midiPad, some strange things happen.
First of all, if I use note#0 to trigger pad (it's the only pad in my layout) midiPad emits a hundred of noteOffs and Note Ons for note 60 (C5) on channel 1.
Again, pad is in CC Mode!
OK, I'm trying to us another trigger note, say, C#-2 (Note #1).Another strange thing happens (further lines are taken from midiMonitor):

When pressing keyswitch (toggle on) -
B0 6F 7F 1|1|011 Ch.1 CC #111 (), Value: 127
B0 00 00 1|1|011 Ch.1 CC #0 (Bank Select), Value: 0

Pressing keyswitch again (toggle off)
B0 6F 00 1|1|000 Ch.1 CC #111 (), Value: 0
B0 6F 7F 1|1|011 Ch.1 CC #111 (), Value: 127
B0 00 00 1|1|011 Ch.1 CC #0 (Bank Select), Value: 0

I.e., along with intended CC Values, with each keypress pad translates also another CC, (which number corresponds to "Note #" field, and value to "Off Value" field) and additional CC #111 (), Value: 127 when toggling off.
If this isn't a bug, then what is it?
I can overcome it with certain complications in my setup, but I hope it would be not so hard to fix.
Except for that, I also suggest to introduce an option for each pad to block triggering note from MIDI thru. Otherwise the note that you use for toggling also triggers sound (undesirable!)

Anyway, thanks for your plugins, they are really helpful when work as intended :)

thanks for the report! you must be the first person to seriously try to use the midi triggering feature.

definitely several bugs here... hidden pads were being triggered by midi input and the CC output bytes were messed up. the trigger note is supposed to be blocked always, if it isn't there is something wrong...

i think it's fixed now, here's the win32 version:
http://thepiz.org/pizmidi/midiPads.zip
wrongtastic, baby
tucson's number one gothic rock band since 1995

Thanks for responsivness! I'm starting really dig into these MIDI things, and I feel if I keep it up soon I'll be able to show some wonders) Doing some testing on the way :hihi:
I think your plugins are the best solution for live setup purposes, considering that you keep them updating and have a x64 version (i'm still using x86 though, but plan to go x64 someday).
It's sad though that Nick Fit doesn't update his plugins anymore... they are perfect addition to your plugins collection (especially I mean nearly inespendable nf_Control Front and MungRack). As far as I know they are open-sourced now, maybe you can take some care of them?) I would do it myself by I'm not a programmer :(

Well, back to midiPads again - everything seems to work fine now) if I discover other bugs, I'll make you know :wink:

Hmmm maybe I'm remembering wrong but I was about to reply that I couldn't reproduce any problems with midi triggering in Bidule with the latest version. I guess it's okay now?

I haven't heard of NicFit's plugins being open source. They're made in SynthEdit, so the ability to update them is limited... I prefer to rewrite them from scratch as needed to get x64, Mac, Linux, etc. compatibility.
wrongtastic, baby
tucson's number one gothic rock band since 1995

Return to “Insert Piz Here”