ValhallaRoom: Bright or Dark?

Locked New Topic

ValhallaRoom: Bright or Dark?

Bright (Large Room, Medium Room, Bright Room, Large Chamber)
19%
Dark (Dark Room, Dark Chamber, Dark Space)
81%

Total votes: 16

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone,

With ValhallaRoom version 1.0.7, I have added a few more Dark reverb modes (Dark Chamber, Dark Space) to run alongside Dark Room and the other "bright" reverb modes. So I wanna know what people think: Do you like the original "bright" reverb modes better, or the new "dark" modes?

Feel free to elaborate on your preferences in this thread.

Thanks,

Sean Costello

Hard question! I love every single VRoom algo but the Dark Space algo is my favorite at the moment. Maybe just because it's new.
It's just perfect for something like this:
http://www.bronto-scorpio-music.com/Mus ... _Vroom.mp3

I still prefer the bright algos for natural rooms and ambiences.
I voted for "dark" but I really love them all :)

Cheers
Dennis

I voted Bright. Maybe it's just me, and some preconceived notion I may possess about digital reverbs, but it's less about bright vs. dark as it is about modern vs. vintage and to a lesser extent, real vs. fake. The bright algo's sound more modern and realistic to me, which is the kind of thing I prefer in a reverb, and maybe it's because I'm more of a rock guy, I dunno. However, I do appreciate the dark algo's, and could definitely see why some might prefer them. If I wanted to make a giant, classic sounding huge pad sound, I'd definitely start with one of the dark algo's.

In fact, I have a completely unfounded suspicion that says dark would win in a KVR poll, and bright would win in a Gearslutz.

Same as Bronto, here. :)
It's a bit like asking "Which of your children do you prefer?!" :D.. and I wouldn't want to send any of those reverb algorithms off to boarding school! :x
Every time I get a new reverb plugin, I do a bit of a "spot check" comparison (I don't have some of the expensive plugins like the Lexicons.. but I remember well what the "real" ones sound like ;).. and I have only the demo version of Aether and Breeze).. ValhallaRoom has gone to the top of my list, while AAR still holds its own.
The Dark algorithms do indeed have a feel of "realism" about them, reminiscent of the 224 and 448 (and I have to admit that I am old enough to remember when they first came out!)
I did get a life,once...but it was faulty, so I sent it back.

I didn't vote because I find all algos very useful and there is no better in this case. Each mode has it's own character and depending on the source material all of them can sound fantastic.

Sampleconstruct wrote:I didn't vote because I find all algos very useful and there is no better in this case. Each mode has it's own character and depending on the source material all of them can sound fantastic.
+1

Return to “Valhalla DSP”