LE Exported Midi File, Saving Phrases and External Sound Module

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I got a little confused on the description of 'idea tool' in the full version, since it talks about "multitrack composition."

I want to be clear about the nature of the midi file that can be exported from the LE version. Is this a standard midi type 1 file with all the tracks from the composition page individually assigned to separate midi channels with GM patch, controllers, etc. info? Or?

In 'RapidComposer Features' Phrase database to store reusable phrases section of the web page ... it doesn't really explain how this is done. It just says "you place phrases here" and then shows the window for the phrases. What does this mean? That you drag n' drop them from the composition window onto the phrase window? I found the 'Roaming' folders for Soundfonts, DB, etc., with a file named phrases in the DB folder ... but it looks like a test file with all the data read by some other operation.

Can you use an external sound module? I have set the midi out to my sound module ... but while it plays, it doesn't appear to be available to RapidComposer for playback.

Thanks for answering these questions.

Como
Help! I've fallen up and can't get down!

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

> "I got a little confused on the description of 'idea tool' in the full
> version, since it talks about "multitrack composition."

The idea tool creates a new composition. The top of page has the global
settings for the composition, the bottom of the page displays settings for
the selected track. You can add tracks ("Add Track" button) or remove them
(the small "-" button next to the track button). You can select phrases,
phrase generators and variations to use in a track. When using phrase
generators, it is possible to select parameter ranges, which means a value
will be chosen randomly in the range. I think very few people used the idea
tool, maybe it seems too complex.

> "I want to be clear about the nature of the midi file that can be exported
> from the LE version. Is this a standard midi type 1 file with all the

Yes, it exports a standard midi file type 1, with separate tracks from the
composition, including GM patch (if available) and controllers.

>That you drag n' drop them from the composition window onto the phrase window?

That is a good feature request. Currently if you want to save a phrase into the phrase browser, you open it in the Phrase Editor (by doubleclicking on it) and choose "Add To Database".
The phrases are stored in a file in DB folder.

>Can you use an external sound module? I have set the midi out to my sound >module ... but while it plays, it doesn't appear to be available to >RapidComposer for playback.

Yes, you should be able to use an external sound module. The midi output port is handled as any standard windows midi port.

Thanks,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
Summer Sale - 40% off - June 3-18

With respect to the external module, how do you route the different tracks? In the inspector pane for the track I recognize how to select your sound source and no that you have to "add" them before they show as available options, but how do you add the midi port as a target?

Como

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

That is a good question. In general, if you select a MIDI instrument, the data is sent to the midi output port, if you select a VSTi or soundfont, the audio is rendered and sent to the audio output.

If you have a sound module that is not GM, it is easy to set up the instruments for it. If you look at the instrument definitions for General MIDI (GeneralMIDI.rcINST in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\RapidComposer\DB), it is a text file which can be edited. So you can make a copy and name it as "MySoundModule.rcINST" and edit the contents according to the presets. Next time you start RC, your instruments will be in the Instrument browser.
Of course we can help you creating an .rcINST file for your sound module if you have a preset list.

Thanks,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
Summer Sale - 40% off - June 3-18

Just a quick note and mention that my Ketron external sound module is recognized by RC but I cannot get sound from it using ASIO4ALL driver but MME & DirectSound work fine.

ASIO4All has nothing to do with your external sound module (an excellent one, by the way!). It is pure midi ... unless you are talking about piping the Ketron audio out back through your computer somehow ... which also would have little to do with using ASIO4All with RapidComposer.

Como

Return to “MusicDevelopments”