SYN'X 2.5 Released - Xils-Lab - (Multitimbral Synthex - intro discount-)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Syn'X

Lotuzia wrote: Thanks Simon :hug:

Just finished a review of some of your presets and WOW :tu:

Just love them !

What is especially cool is that some also used the new never seen features. I'm very glad they inspired you !

LtZ
Thanks Laurent :hug: Loved making them . Just having a hard time making the SD ones sound as good :oops:

The GUI might look a little grey for some folks but for long periods spent infront of it , it is perfect imo . Wouldn't hurt to offer a couple of different skins though to apease all different tastes..

Lotuzia wrote:
Additionnaly a Dongleless Demo will be available :)

LtZ
what must we do to make you abandon dongle-dom forever? I'm almost on the edge with upgrading to xils 3, but this dongle thing is seriously scaring me off, probably due to the usb problems I've had lately. wouldn't wanna depend on that.

anyhow, looking forward to the demo, then.

i'm also tired of dongles since i have to use a macbook and since i have trouble with an East West ilok authorization and no reply from these 'professionals' for a week.
anyway, i'm looking forward to buying this beast and i hope, i can afford it.

mellOoOo
"It dreamed itself along"

maxxxter wrote:IMO, the GUI looks ugly, amateurish, uninviting and only vaguely resembles the Synthex.
Emulating Synthex is a big deal, at least that's the way I see it, so whoever IMO decides to recreate it should take into account how sensitive and nitpicky will people be about the whole subject. Doing

it wrong could be seen as somewhat of a sacrilege; a proper Synthex emu must not only nail the sound, but also provide the ergonomics, aesthetics and basically the whole aura of experience of using

such a classic beauty.
As much as I respect Xils' attempt here, I'm just not convinced so far.
I'd like to see Gforce or Sonic Projects do it right.
+9
Either GForce or Way out Ware. Their emus sound the closest to analog, esp the latter.

But you're right the gui looks very generic. It reminds me of Sawer, ie: one big naaaah!!
The hard sync sounds not quite there yet, which is disappointing, after so many hours of coding.

Also what's with the 4 octave keyboard, that really kills the look!!
The way it is now, this synth won't be regarded too highly by hardware aficionados, and no amount of defending and rationalizing from Lotuzia can fix that.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

HunterKiller wrote: +9
Either GForce or Way out Ware. Their emus sound the closest to analog, esp the latter.
I really think XILS Lab is up there if not better. I own Way out Ware both synths and while they sounded good when they came out (there's good SOS review of Timewarp with comparison to the real deal), I honestly think XILS Lab goes further with the CPU available nowadays. Anyway, the previous synths were not 1:1 emus, rather inspired by which is perfectly fine with me. The basic sound is just very juicy and analog like (with this and Fxpansion, and new U-HE synths), more than what I've heard before in synths. I don't know why people think only GForce and Way Out Ware could do it, they haven't even released synths in ages (I like both companies though, I just think XILS Lab deserves more respect and Xavier has more than proved his skills in DSP wizardry ;) ).
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

penguinfromdeep wrote:
I really think XILS Lab is up there if not better. I own Way out Ware both synths and while they sounded good when they came out (there's good SOS review of Timewarp with comparison to the real deal), I honestly think XILS Lab goes further with the CPU available nowadays. Anyway, the previous synths were not 1:1 emus, rather inspired by which is perfectly fine with me. The basic sound is just very juicy and analog like (with this and Fxpansion, and new U-HE synths), more than what I've heard before in synths. I don't know why people think only GForce and Way Out Ware could do it, they haven't even released synths in ages (I like both companies though, I just think XILS Lab deserves more respect and Xavier has more than proved his skills in DSP wizardry ;) ).
GForce - Oddity sounded nothing like analogue to my ears, it may of behaved like an Oddesey but it sounded like a VST synth to me, Minimonsta is alot better, but obviously Hunterkiller doesn't own a Xils-Lab synth like PolyKB II, and yes I've demo'ed Way Out Ware's synth - didn't sound especially analogue to me, sounded like a vst synth again IMO...didn't knock me out! :?

But Hunterkiller coming into this thread and slating it isn't fair - the demo isn't even out yet, all that 'Analogue Sound' is in your opinion and subjective, as is my opinion! But I don't go around slating a synth, try the demo - not for you - move on!

I was actually hoping Xavier would just do a modern synth, I'm not even remotely worried about a Synthex emulation - I'd never even heard of it, I'll judge it on it's own merits - I won't compare as I can't! It is what it is...

Please gimme a break
Are people inspired by GUIs when making music, lately?
How many people do find themselves comfortable with photorealistic "vintage" interface?
I've got my own ideas about designing a GUI and the SynthX fits many of them, because I want to get the sound at a glimpse, being ready to tweak it on the fly rather than spend precious time trying to find "where is what" on photorealistic guis; personally I would have gotten rid of the animated keyboard too, which I'm finding pretty pointless and wasting space (it goes for other VSTis too).

PS and just for the developer: I would only change two things:

1.switches' colour,turning them to light grey or white and able to be colored or "backlighted" when turned on,may help a better reading of the panel

2.I would restore the footage selection in the DCOs as it was on the original; don't get me wrong , it's not about aesthetics, rather, it actually makes sense if you want to switch to a given footage immediately (you could also map this on a controller or, when it will come, you can touch the screen just for that specific footage), and don't want the artifact of cruising among pitches , like it was on my beloved 220lbs japanese monster...
This Plug In KILLS Fascists

brick wrote:
Lotuzia wrote: Thanks Simon :hug:

Just finished a review of some of your presets and WOW :tu:

Just love them !

What is especially cool is that some also used the new never seen features. I'm very glad they inspired you !

LtZ
Thanks Laurent :hug: Loved making them . Just having a hard time making the SD ones sound as good :oops:

The GUI might look a little grey for some folks but for long periods spent infront of it , it is perfect imo . Wouldn't hurt to offer a couple of different skins though to apease all different tastes..
Simon,

I just made a few demo clips with some of your AUTODUBSTEP bass presets : Just awsome :love:

UberGreat use of the CHAOS mode imho

I guess there will be a pre and post Simon Ball and Synthix era for this genre's lovers !

Yeah great fun I had ! :tu:

LtZ
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

I've been using Xils3 & PolyKB for quite sometime now over many projects and think their are among the best softsynth available today (far better than my Arturia V collection)
So I'm pretty excited about the release of Synthix, my only gripe is nowadays I tend to only buy 64bit plugins and in this age its not very forward thinking only releasing 32bit versions.
Last edited by CANE CREEK on Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lunatic_Machinist wrote:
Lotuzia wrote:
Additionnaly a Dongleless Demo will be available :)

LtZ
what must we do to make you abandon dongle-dom forever? I'm almost on the edge with upgrading to xils 3, but this dongle thing is seriously scaring me off, probably due to the usb problems I've had lately. wouldn't wanna depend on that.

anyhow, looking forward to the demo, then.
ANd to MellOOo :

Well the dongle protection has been effective in our case cos none of the current "offer" in the darkside worlds for the PolyKB II is effective. There are dark versions but with big troubles for the unfortunate users. Some specific versions never got war...ed as well. So .. :shrug:

I was offered this year an Ilok while working for a big company who only uses Ilok. Had -very few- trouble installing it and until now it works OK. Otoh I use Elicencer for many years now and never had a single problem with it.

Its very fast ti use, I can install the synths on every computer, and I dont have to fuss with C/R and decreasing authorisation numbers like for many of my other synths.

This said I can prefectly understand all the concerns. The Xils 3 LE and the PolyKB II Advanced Player are available with serials only.

And yes Chris, there will be a very attractive intro offer and I really wish you can enter the bandwagon, as I feel some of the instruments will be of interest for your particular style !

Well you can wait for the audio demos to confirm this, ....... or not :)

LtZ

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

HunterKiller wrote:
maxxxter wrote: As much as I respect Xils' attempt here, I'm just not convinced so far.
I'd like to see Gforce or Sonic Projects do it right.
+9

But you're right the gui looks very generic. It reminds me of Sawer, ie: one big naaaah!!
The hard sync sounds not quite there yet, which is disappointing, after so many hours of coding.

Also what's with the 4 octave keyboard, that really kills the look!!
The way it is now, this synth won't be regarded too highly by hardware aficionados, and no amount of defending and rationalizing from Lotuzia can fix that.
Hi Hunterkiller,

Hmmm I remember you defended the ARP, wich modelling accuracy you compare with the Synthix, in a quite demanding way recently in anoter thread
HunterKiller wrote:In no particular order: (both bugs and feature requests)

2) Fix filter response and tool tip frequency readout. I never liked how the filter on Timewarp worked. It was adjustable by ear and all, but when one wanted to look at values and correlate, it just became a mess. On the filter tool tip it reads 21HZ when it really is cutting off at 3270Hz. It should read the value it is cutting off at, simple as that.

3) Change top filter cut off to 25kHz, for a range of 7Hz to 25000Hz, for the Lowpass filter. Or alternatively:

5) Add oscillator drift as an option - an on/off button or similar. To preserve the current patches.

6) Retrigger Envelope (AMP, FILTER) option for Mono mode (1Voice)

10) Fix the brightness of all oscillator sine waves to represent the brighter sine waves found on hardware 2600s, not the pure sine tone that TW offers, alternatively you could also put a selector button for this, giving the user an option of pure and vintage sine wave.

11) Emulate the reverb to a greater accuracy!

16) ...... Completely revamp the GUI look and color scheme + resizable GUI. Also fix up the load up time.

17) Changing presets when the synth is bypassed in the host crashes both the synth and the host.

19) Patch Manager list gets screwed up when the number of patches exceeds Patch Manager window height.
And also recently you wrote that in a PolyKB related thread :
HunterKiller wrote:
Forget about Arturia's crappy synths or DCAM.

For the sound you are looking for you've got know which synths were dominant at the time when those songs/tracks were produced. The era you are interested in was dominated by Moog and ARP and EMS, therefore get the following quality stuff:

1. Synths:

G-Force Minimonta
Way Out Ware TimewARP2600
Xils-Lab Xils 3
ME80 (a great emulation of a CS80 used by Vangelis)
SOo my conclusion is that you're a very demanding power user. Sometimes love is harder to express than critics, but tbh I'm happy having to face the demands of people like you. It just help us improving our work and introduce new perspectives and approaches.

We're continuously working on optimising and enhancing the Synthix. Yes its not 100% perfect, its an emulation, but I have a real ARP Odyssey, and as good, and genuinely close to the original, as can be some emulations, they are not, from my POV, perfect either. But some are quite good yes.

I could not say so of some other synths mentioned here and there, in this thread or else, about ultimate analog emulations, wich dont seem to emulate so well some other Keyboards I have in my collection. But I'm not here to give names. Best luck for them

Like I said we're concentrating on proposing the best possible emulation of the Italian Legend. And even if some % will still be missing in the end, I'll consider we have reached our goal if actually its the best findable recreation of this particular synth.

No more, but certainly no less.

Then to each his own, and to each the right to judge if the Synthix can bring something new and exciting for their music :shrug:

Anyway if you ever try the soon to be available demo Hunterkiller, feel free to share your thoughts with us. I'm curious to see what you will think of it, and I'm sure it will raise some interesting points.

LtZ

breakmixer wrote:
penguinfromdeep wrote:
GForce - Oddity sounded nothing like analogue to my ears, it may of behaved like an Oddesey but it sounded like a VST synth to me, Minimonsta is alot better, but obviously Hunterkiller doesn't own a Xils-Lab synth like PolyKB II, and yes I've demo'ed Way Out Ware's synth - didn't sound especially analogue to me, sounded like a vst synth again IMO...didn't knock me out! :?

But Hunterkiller coming into this thread and slating it isn't fair - the demo isn't even out yet, all that 'Analogue Sound' is in your opinion and subjective, as is my opinion! But I don't go around slating a synth, try the demo - not for you - move on!

I was actually hoping Xavier would just do a modern synth, I'm not even remotely worried about a Synthex emulation - I'd never even heard of it, I'll judge it on it's own merits - I won't compare as I can't! It is what it is...
Hi Breakmiwer and Mr Penguin,

Yeah thanks for your kind words

The Synthix is a modern synth, ans as such, for the offered features should fullfill all your expectations, and possibly beyond.

The sound however you will be able to judge by the audio demos and by the dongleless demo. And then you'll have all the elements to decide :)

LtZ

CANE CREEK wrote:I've been using Xils3 & PolyKB for quite sometime now over many projects and think their are among the best softsynth available today (far better than my Arturia V collection)
So I'm pretty excited about the release of Synthix, my only gripe is nowadays I tend to only buy 64bit plugins and in this age its not very forward thinking only releasing 32bit versions.
Thanks for your kind words Cane Creek.

64 bits versions are on their way. No ETA unfortunately, but on their way. Big work btw :o

LtZ

omissis wrote:Please gimme a break
How many people do find themselves comfortable with photorealistic "vintage" interface?
I've got my own ideas about designing a GUI and the SynthX fits many of them, because I want to get the sound at a glimpse, being ready to tweak it on the fly rather than spend precious time trying to find "where is what" on photorealistic guis; personally I would have gotten rid of the animated keyboard too, which I'm finding pretty pointless and wasting space (it goes for other VSTis too).

1.switches' colour,turning them to light grey or white and able to be colored or "backlighted" when turned on,may help a better reading of the panel

2.I would restore the footage selection in the DCOs as it was on the original; don't get me wrong , it's not about aesthetics, rather, it actually makes sense if you want to switch to a given footage immediately (you could also map this on a controller or, when it will come, you can touch the screen just for that specific footage), and don't want the artifact of cruising among pitches , like it was on my beloved 220lbs japanese monster...
Hi Max,

for the DCOs its mainly that we missed room to implement other features.

I didnt test if you can automate the octave switch via automap or Midi CC, but I'll test that as sson as I can find some free time.

For the lights I think its betterr to wait for the real version to see if they perform as they are or ... less. After having worked some hundred hours on it I dont think they are a problem. But maybe they could be enhenced. Wait and see.

But the good news are :

Keyboard Zone :

1/ Keyboard s usefull for those who dont have a midi keys at hand ( like in plane with notebook etc)

2/ The KEYBOARD is now a SWITCHABLE AREA : If you click on SEQ, a magnifird sequencer area will replace the Keyboard and allow you to edit the sequencer with more ease.

3/ OR you can click on the Info button to display sound designer notes and ahve an overview of the patch.

So you now have three possibilities :

Animated Keyboard OR Poly Sequencer Window OR Info Window.

We hope this implemetation will be usefull for musicians :)

LtZ

Hi Laurent
I'm not trying to force the design in any way, I just felt I could give some more ideas about using the SynthiX in a live situation ;)
BTW, more audio demos, more leads/pads showcase, please!

Lotuzia wrote:
omissis wrote:Please gimme a break

Hi Max,

for the DCOs its mainly that we missed room to implement other features.

I didnt test if you can automate the octave switch via automap or Midi CC, but I'll test that as sson as I can find some free time.

For the lights I think its betterr to wait for the real version to see if they perform as they are or ... less. After having worked some hundred hours on it I dont think they are a problem. But maybe they could be enhenced. Wait and see.

But the good news are :

Keyboard Zone :

1/ Keyboard s usefull for those who dont have a midi keys at hand ( like in plane with notebook etc)

2/ The KEYBOARD is now a SWITCHABLE AREA : If you click on SEQ, a magnifird sequencer area will replace the Keyboard and allow you to edit the sequencer with more ease.

3/ OR you can click on the Info button to display sound designer notes and ahve an overview of the patch.

So you now have three possibilities :

Animated Keyboard OR Poly Sequencer Window OR Info Window.

We hope this implemetation will be usefull for musicians :)

LtZ
:wink: :wink:
This Plug In KILLS Fascists

Return to “Instruments”