Modules missing modulation inputs

Official support for: vaz-synths.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thinking about MIDI control has reminded me that there are various modules which are missing modulation inputs for some parameters. A quick review has turned up these parameters where it wouldn't be easy to work around the missing modulation inputs:
  • Equalizer: Gain, Frequency, Q
    Chaotic LFO: Rate
    Delay Envelope: Time
    Envelope: Super Envelope only has 1 shared modulation input
    Envelope Follower: Tracking Rate
    Any LFO with a Sine output: Rate
    Multi-Phase LFO: Rate, Phase Angle
    Chorus: Delay Time, Modulation
    Compressor: Ratio, Attack, Release
    Reverb: Reverb Time
So... for which of these would you most like to see modulation inputs added? And what did I miss?

Martin

All LFO rates and EQ controls should be modulatable. Not so sure about Phase Angle - doesn't make much sense to automate it live, at least to me. Modulating chorus delay time might produce clicks if not interpolated well (additional CPU needed, of course). Can't see much point in automating compressor parameters. Reverb time... that one could be interesting!

A couple more mod inputs for the super-env would be...err...super :)
I'd also like a mod input > sine lfo rate. Any of the other suggestions would of course be welcome too.

Mart.
γνῶθι σαὐτόν

+1 on being able to modulate any SINE lfo rate
James Johnson
www.james-johnson.net

+1 also for me both for sine rate and superenv

+1 for super env...

if i want a modulated speed sine wave, theres a few easy workarounds. the super env, with separate inputs per parameter would be wonderful.
come on you ..... lets have some aphex acid.

Vague shape of a plan:
  • Add Sine output to LFO module
    New Envelope-M module with modulation inputs for A, D, S, R
    Add rate/time modulation to Delay Envelope, Multi-Phase LFO, Chaotic LFO
    New Equalizer-M module with modulation input(s)
After this lot is out think about any other inputs to add...

MadGav wrote: After this lot is out think about any other inputs to add...
I've always wanted to be able to modulate the Ratio of the Sine Osc...possible?

Winstontaneous wrote:I've always wanted to be able to modulate the Ratio of the Sine Osc...possible?
Ratio is there as a convenient way to control pitch, and there is already the FM input to modulate pitch. The only difference a ratio modulation input would provide would be in the control law. Have you played around with the (exp) FM input?

Martin

Now we are at pitch modulation.... If I remember correctly, the pitch modulation range of the sine osc module is about 1oct up and down, which I find to small for a lot of applications (eg drum synthesis, FX).

Someone else experiencing this?

btw thumbs up for the modulated M-envelope! This has been on my wishlist for long.

vstliefhebber wrote:Now we are at pitch modulation.... If I remember correctly, the pitch modulation range of the sine osc module is about 1oct up and down, which I find to small for a lot of applications (eg drum synthesis, FX).
The Top Tip is to use the main Pitch input and if necessary place a Modulation Expander module in front to mix multiple mod sources. For 100% tracking of a pitch signal set that modulation depth to maximum.

Martin

MadGav wrote:
Winstontaneous wrote:I've always wanted to be able to modulate the Ratio of the Sine Osc...possible?
Ratio is there as a convenient way to control pitch, and there is already the FM input to modulate pitch. The only difference a ratio modulation input would provide would be in the control law. Have you played around with the (exp) FM input?

Martin
i second that suggestion, and only understand some of gavs reply. Yes, in the end all you are doing is octave-jumping, and you could do this with a few modules plugged into the main pitch input of the sine osc and scaled accordingly...

still, if it was implemented, id like that.

any chance of getting the unison spread on the cv module automatable?

yes, you could get a similar effect modulating your oscillators by a voice count module with a mod input, but to have it already built in might be good.

also, id love to see an lfo with phase modulation.

mojogigolo wrote:any chance of getting the unison spread on the cv module automatable?

yes, you could get a similar effect modulating your oscillators by a voice count module with a mod input, but to have it already built in might be good.

also, id love to see an lfo with phase modulation.
As you mention I think detune mod is easy enough to achieve with a Voice Number module, but please report any niggles you discover with that approach.

PM on an LFO is a new one, you could try it with the Sine Osc in Low mode to get a vague idea what would be possible?

Martin

that all makes sense. one quick question -

to my ears it seems that mixing the voice count modulation into the oscillator gives a dirrerent 'quality' of detune than using the unison spread on the CV?

and unless im imagining it, spreading an osc pitch with the voice count, THEN opening the unison spread gives a different quality of detune? IE 20 detune on the voice spread + 20 on the cv module sounds different to me than a 40 spread on either alone.

am i imagining that? does it even make sense?

PS despite all this detune talk, dont worry, im not making hard trance anthems with your software :)

oh, and good idea with the phase modulating sine osc - will try it.

Return to “VAZ Synths”