Yes
No votes
Of course
100%

Total votes: 6

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone :)
It's been quite a while since I started THIS PROJECT. Maybe some of you thought that I forgot about it. The truth is that I didn't. I just was busy with concerts and stuff, but now I'm sick and I'm forced to stay in the house, so I took some time to finish the work :lol:
So, I'm back and proud to present:

Vowel Ensemble Choir Pack

The choir patch was developed by Mihai Sorohan together with Richard Osborn for Mu.Lab Multisampla and Selcuk Bor (from Symphony of Specters) for Kontakt.
The difference is that the Kontakt patch have all the vowel crossfading linked to mod wheel and Mux patch have assignable crossfades so you can just right click on the button and "Map MIDI Controller".

Choir:
Citrina - soprano & alto
Jelena - alto
Roman & Dimitri (Timohi) - tenor
JonnyZed - tenor
Mihai - tenor & baritone

Gear used:
Microphone - AKG Perception 170
Preamp - Art Tube MP Project Series
Soundcard - M-Audio Audiophile 192

Downloads

Download Mu.Lab Multisampla format patches separately (A, E, I, O and U)
Download Mu.Lab Mux Patch
Download "Ave Maria Sound Alike" Mu.Lab session

Demo Songs
Ave Maria Sound Alike
Choir Demo A-E-I

Feel free to check the post on my blog HERE, leave a comment, "like" my blog on Facebook, spread the word, eventually donate... ? :lol: (that was a good one).

i feel like we just destroyed the death star and princess leia is giving us medals

Definitely YES :-o :D

...long time too btw :wink:

For question about installation, usage or more demo sessions, feel free to ask.

It works for me.

Hope to make use of it somewhere.

If you use the Mu.Lab version you need:
- Mu.Lab (free version would do it just fine)
- Multisampla format patches separately - unzip them and copy the " Vowel Ensemble" folder to MULAB/User/Library/MuSynth - this will make available the separate patches (A, E, I, O and U) as Multisampla patches.
- Mux Patch that you copy to MULAB/User/Library/MUX - this put all the vowel patches into one "synth" that crossfade between vowels and allow you to make speech like patterns.
To see how is that done, you can download the "Ave Maria Sound Alike" file HERE.

New demo file:

Handel Sound Alike

Sorohanro and Richard, thanx a lot for working out and sharing this choir patch! I think you guys did a great job!

Some thoughts:
  • I don't know why but some of the samples have a 'synthetic' aspect.
    Did you apply a kind of auto-tune function to them?
  • I think there is a little 'bug' there: In the E patch, play note D2, the loop isn't right. It's simply because that multisample zone uses Sample End as the loop end, while it should be the 'End' locator you created. It's very easy to correct, though best to update the package.
  • Maybe put the Vowel_Ensemble.Mux patch also in the package so the user has one single patch folder to install.
Cheers!!

- the synthetic aspect can be from looping, crossfading, phase and maybe also from pitch correction. Had to fix in some places because none of those people who recorded (including myself) are professional singers.

- the D2 in the patch is my fault. I will try to fix and re-upload the patch. Thanks for checking, testing and telling me.

- I tried to put the MUX in the same folder and my version of Mu.Lab didn't "see" it. Actually, to be able to use MUX patches, to get those recognized by Mu.Lab, I have to put them into the effects folder, even if those are synths.

sorohanro wrote:I tried to put the MUX in the same folder and my version of Mu.Lab didn't "see" it. Actually, to be able to use MUX patches, to get those recognized by Mu.Lab, I have to put them into the effects folder, even if those are synths.
Yes, in MU.LAB 3, the MuSynth (*.MuSynth files) are regarded as synth patches, and the MUX (*.Mux files) are regarded as effect patches. That's probably why.

Is it a way to make it into a MuSynth patch ?
Also, you see what are the "insides" of this patch, can be developed more appropriate controls or device ? Can you be interested into making a separate plugin or even a VST or standalone version of something similar ?
(I plan to get a real choir and record in a good sounding place, a concert hall or church)

sorohanro wrote:Is it a way to make it into a MuSynth patch?
I've converted all 6 patches into a MuSynth patch and also converted all samples to Ogg files to keep filesize low, and also corrected the E-patch D2 loop issue. The resulting zip package is here:

http://www.mutools.com/library/musynth/ ... semble.zip

You can save this zip package anywhere on your system, extract it, and then simply drop the A/E/I/O/U-Choir or Vowel Ensemble patches onto a MuSynth Play Editor panel and you're ready to play :)

So it's even not necessary to put it in your library folder.
(that was one of the improvements of the latest MU.LAB 3.2.3 version)

sorohanro, is it ok if i publish that file in the Preset Packs section on http://www.mutools.com/downloads.html ?
Also, you see what are the "insides" of this patch, can be developed more appropriate controls or device?
You mean a module that can crossfade between more than 2 audio inputs?
Can you be interested into making a separate plugin or even a VST or standalone version of something similar ?
(I plan to get a real choir and record in a good sounding place, a concert hall or church)
Sure!

In fact that's one of my big goals for M4. I want to evolve the MUX system (in M4, the MUX does it all: synths, effects, ... anything) so it's also able to run as a VST plugin! :)
Last edited by mutools on Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:34 pm, edited 6 times in total.

is there something I'm missing ?
For some reason I see your post empty, but when I try to quote you, it appears all the text... weird...
Last edited by sorohanro on Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm not sure what the problem is but the forum doesn't want to accept my previous reply. Testing again with this reply. Sorting it out...

(edit)

... sorted it out: it was the space in the url: Vowel Ensemble must be typed as Vowel%20Ensemble damn computers.

The reply is fully available now: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 83#4298083

- Thanks for editing it. Feel free to put it on Mutools website :) You can put also the "Ave Maria" there.
- Yes, I meant a module that can crossfade between more than 2 inputs.
- Sound great MUX as VST plugin. Maybe next choir which I hope will include some consonants and some effects, will be a commercial Mutools plugin, how about that ?

Return to “MUTOOLS”