Audio/MIDI Sync

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I Just started using MuLab 3.2.3 on an HP Mini (Intel Atom CPU N270, 1.60GHZ 1GB RAM) running Windows XP SP 3. MuLab generates an audio metronome that lags behind realtime: I press the space bar and I don't hear my first countoff click immediately. When I playback the metronome with the MIDI, they are out of sync. My workaround is to visit Audio preferences on the Edit Menu (or in the AudioSetup.txt file) and change the values to: DriverType=MME Audio, DriverName=IDT Audio, Samplerate=48000, AsioInputFlags=-1, AsioOutputFlags=-1, MmeNumBlocks=32, MmeBlockSize=192, CpuLoadLimit=93, PreferredAudioRecordingLatencyCompensation=Input+Output. I only changed Samplerate=48000, MmeBlockSize=192, & CpuLoadLimit=93. This solution works, but leaves me prone to CPU overload problems. There must be another way. Alternatively, I adjusted PreferredAudioRecordingLatencyCompensation as per the the manual with no effect. I changed "Processor Scheduling" to "Background Services (Control Panel>System>Advanced>Performance Settings>Advanced) as per a MIDI manual I read to no effect. Hope someone can help. Russell

If the metronome is out of sync with MIDI output, then *all* audio is out of sync, right?

If that's the case then it means that the ASIO driver is reporting a wrong output latency to MU.LAB.

Currently there is no way to overwrite/compensate this. In the next MU.LAB 4, there will be such option.

Thanks. Running MuLab on a different CPU might solve it, right? When might version 4 be available? The solution I offered, though goofy, does allow for all 4 tracks/Channels of MIDI and one or two MuSynth instruments without a hitch.

I don't know how to assign my keyboard's patch #s to the tracks/channels so I get the voices I want. What am I missing? Russell

rrrussselll wrote:Thanks. Running MuLab on a different CPU might solve it, right?
It's not a matter of CPU/system.
It's a matter of having/using a good ASIO driver.
Tip: Also try ASIO4ALL.
When might version 4 be available?
That's not yet defined. Working on it...
I don't know how to assign my keyboard's patch #s to the tracks/channels so I get the voices I want. What am I missing? Russell
Maybe this tutorial helps: http://www.mutools.com/mulab/tutorials/ ... index.html

rrrussselll wrote:Hope someone can help. Russell
Hi Russell, welcome to the forum. This delay (latency in the DAW lingo) you're experiencing is unfortunately the norm on a Windows system that doesn't have a dedicated audio card or external interface. It's got nothing to do with your system (although your CPU is a little on the light side if you're planning on using a lot of virtual synths/fx in your music) or MuLab. You'd experience it in any DAW software you tried.

Fortunately, someone created the nifty bit of kit called ASIO4all that Jo referred to, which enables you to get low-latency audio input and output without any dedicated audio hardware.

This information gives me hope for a bright future. I've actually been running Studio Vision w/Sound Tools II on a various Mac IIs since 1993 with 24 MB Ram since 1993. Gone thru 3 CPUs. I'll ressurect the rig one more time if possible, but it's time to let go and move on. Maybe Ican learn to love a PC and Microsoft now. Not. Thanks for opening the doors for me. rrr

Return to “MUTOOLS”