Introducing ValhallaShimmer

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just made the first official announcement of the new plugin, ValhallaShimmer:

OSX release should be in a week or two. Windows shortly thereafter (need to integrate new vector library for the Windows release, as well as figure out a font issue).

More info at

http://valhalladsp.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... lashimmer/

Sean Costello

Woaaa, I bookmarked the link right away after really having enjoyed my experiments with Valhalla FreqEcho. I guess Shimmer is a must have!

Hi Sean - Great effort with this!
I know that the fellas at Gearslutz have been very excited by this and i can't wait to get my mitts on the pc version.
(Also thank you for your earlier great free plug-in valhallafreqecho, which i use a lot).
:)

it reminds me a lot EOS from audio damage.

"It dreamed itself along"

Doug1978 wrote:Hi Sean - Great effort with this!
I know that the fellas at Gearslutz have been very excited by this and i can't wait to get my mitts on the pc version.
(Also thank you for your earlier great free plug-in valhallafreqecho, which i use a lot).
:)
Thanks! I am going to hold off on announcing on Gearslutz until I have something for sale. Although if other people talk about it, fine with me.

The new one won't be free, but it won't break the bank.

Sean

hivkorn wrote:it reminds me a lot EOS from audio damage.
hmm... I wonder why.... :wink:

The demo sounds very cool... something new for the toolbox? Anyhow, good luck with it!

hivkorn wrote:it reminds me a lot EOS from audio damage.
As the world's foremost authority on the similarities between Eos and ValhallaShimmer, I can say with certainty that the two algorithms have very little in common. They have completely different architectures, different modulation, different control structures. The individual code blocks have evolved greatly between Eos and ValhallaShimmer, for that matter.

Any similarities between sounds is probably some vague "personal signature" that would be shared by the algorithms I create (I wrote the Eos algorithms, but not the GUI or other plugin-ish bits). I like big washy reverbs. Eos can get those, but can also get small plate and room sounds that ValhallaShimmer doesn't excel at. ValhallaShimmer is designed for big ambiances, with longer decays than what Eos is set up to do. Plus, the pitch shifted reverb feedback is unique to ValhallaShimmer.

Sean Costello

Notwithstanding that Eos is an excellent reverb, i think that the names of Lexicon and ReLab are the ones that the Gearslutz (rightly or wrongly) have been mostly mentioning in the same context as Sean's new reverb.
Which to some extent is superfluous as every vst should be judged purely on whether it works for oneself, but these high-end comparisons are intriguing nonetheless...
Either way, i'm looking forward to buying this shortly (and sorry Sean for my clumsy wording above: i knew that it wasn't free).

Any similarities between sounds is probably some vague "personal signature" that would be shared by the algorithms I create (I wrote the Eos algorithms, but not the GUI or other plugin-ish bits). I like big washy reverbs. Eos can get those, but can also get small plate and room sounds that ValhallaShimmer doesn't excel at. ValhallaShimmer is designed for big ambiances, with longer decays than what Eos is set up to do. Plus, the pitch shifted reverb feedback is unique to ValhallaShimmer.

i'm not telling you it's a copy of EOS but the sound you post on your blog reminds me a lot of EOS treatment.surely the part ot the algo you create for AD....I'm really curious to know exactely what will be your next plugin...
Even if I don't need a reverb for make big ambiance , i must admit that this one sound terribly good,i believe a lot of ambiance writter will have find their reverb :)

soooooooooooooooooooo....

how's it coming? :hyper:

ariston wrote:soooooooooooooooooooo....

how's it coming? :hyper:
Plugin on OSX is solid, as far as I can tell. Tested in Logic 9, Ableton Live 8.1.5, Pro Tools 8.0.4, and a bunch of other hosts by the beta testers. Automation is apparently working well (I need to fold these changes into ValhallaFreqEcho after Shimmer is out the door). Keyfile generation is working. Demo plugin for OSX is working. Currently finishing up how keyfile is loaded and validated by plugin. Webpage needs to be put up, Paypal icon and order system need to be tested.

On the PC side, all of the above still applies, except that I need to fix an issue that came up when setting compiler optimizations. I haven't ported the Windows plugin to a SIMD vector library, but I may release the less optimized version initially, and put out the SIMD version a week or so down the road.

I had hoped for a Monday release, but other things came up during the week. I'm shooting for mid-week.

Sean

valhallasound wrote: I had hoped for a Monday release, but other things came up during the week. I'm shooting for mid-week.

Sean
thanks for your quick reply. Best of luck, and hope you don't run into too many snags on the way!

I bought it today. Just a lovely superb sound design plugin, adding a lot to such a variety of sounds. And then I have to say - rarely did I come across of more outstandingly great tips from developers than yours concerning Eos and Valhalla shimmer. A big plus for me, never learned half as much for using a plugin like from you.

(And the developer doesn't even hate snow, like 95% of german private radios with all of their blurb and their "life-is-an-insurance-company"- mentality^^. You just have to buy it, and make a snow-song :) ).

I bought it recently as well and I have to say that I love it a whole lot.

it's amazing to use in some ambient music... and well... every kind of music.

great job valhalla ! you actually made me buy this before stuff I wanted to buy for a long time, damn you :)

Return to “Valhalla DSP”