MU.LAB 3.1 test

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It loaded and didn't crash ;)

Obvious first question: Will there be a simple way to record multiple inputs that requires zero set up - that is, select your driver, select your inputs, select multi-track record (on the same page as selecting driver and inputs), then hit record? Setting it up in the MPA seems... less than intuitive... ;)

Ideally, I'd say the Edit->Audio Setup screen should have options for recording multiple mono tracks, multiple stereo tracks and single stereo track.

Hmm, I've no hardware I can plug into my audio ins, so I'll have to let others play with that bit, anyway. But recording the signal anywhere in the path is pretty neat! :D

I don't think the multi track recording setup should be part of the audio engine setup as it depends from session to session!

Besides this, i'm convinced that setting up multi track recording always takes a (little) bit of setup, in any daw/host/sequencer, in whatever configuration. It's inevitable. I.e: Which input pins do you want to record from? Is it mono or stereo? Do you want monitoring? If yes, thru what? etc... All essential and inevitable with multi track recording, imho.

MU.LAB wants to keep things simple. And the simple audio recording system we had before is still there. Click-and-record. But if you want more, you can get it now ;)

Note that once you have created more recorders in the MPA, you can also quickly access/edit them via right-click on the record audio button in the Transport Panel, just as with 'simple' audio recording :)

The Audio Input (MM) passed the only test I could give it -- changing the number of hardware inputs I've got selected. It immediately reflected the change.

Yow... Oh, right... I see... right-click record, setup audio is... quite deep!

"simply make sure you have 4 Audio File Recorders in the MPA and set them up as you want."

Hmm, no, I'm stumped. I've added an "Audio Input (MM)" to the MPA and one "Audio File Recorder" per mono input. Does "set them up as you want" mean wiring them up? "Record from" doesn't let me pick which of the six outputs of the "Audio Input (MM)" I want to use... Is the "Num channels" the input channel count or the output or both?

Hmmm...cool. I'm playing with the note splitter, right now. I hope you're planning to give it some parameter to edit like key-zones?!

GREAT START, though! Rock on!

Just DLd this, and it came up with no interface? Does it have to stay in the original folder? :?:

OK... answered my own question! :)

Make a new folder for it, it's a beta. Runs fine here.

Except the key-splitter, though. It miss triggers. Connecting more than one key output causes any key to trigger the last connected one. I'm sure you'll find the problem.

drumsynth.MuSession
It should be "kick, hihat, snare", but the snare gets triggered arbitrarily by any of the other keys.

pljones wrote:I've added an "Audio Input (MM)" to the MPA and one "Audio File Recorder" per mono input. Does "set them up as you want" mean wiring them up?
Yes. The audio file recorder records what comes in in its audio input jack.

You can also double-click the recorder for editing more setup properties, e.g. Filename, Record mono/stereo, Auto Normalize, ...
"Record from" doesn't let me pick which of the six outputs of the "Audio Input (MM)" I want to use...
Indeed, if you want to select specific pins from the multi-mono-audio-input, then you need to be in the MPA and make proper connections.
Is the "Num channels" the input channel count or the output or both?
The output file channel count.

Taron wrote:Hmmm...cool. I'm playing with the note splitter, right now. I hope you're planning to give it some parameter to edit like key-zones?!
GREAT START, though! Rock on!
No, the note key splitter is what it is now: it simply splits the notes based on their key. C's go to output 1, C#'s to output 2, ..., B's to output 12.

The only thing i wondered about is whether to make the output notes always fall in the middle octave (C3..B3) but i think it's better to keep the input octave as it give a bit more musical options i.e. if you assign a bassdrum to C then the bassdrum can still be played in different octaves i.e. C-2, C-1, C0, C1...C7, C8

The more complex zone splitter module you talk about is on the whishlist.

DHR53 wrote:OK... answered my own question! :)
Indeed, the M31 test needs a complete package install as the graphic folder structure has changed.

Don't forget to check out my little demo, even if only to confirm the issue. :(

I already did understand how it works, by the way...but it's currently buggy over here.

Taron wrote:Except the key-splitter, though. It miss triggers. Connecting more than one key output causes any key to trigger the last connected one. I'm sure you'll find the problem.

drumsynth.MuSession
It should be "kick, hihat, snare", but the snare gets triggered arbitrarily by any of the other keys.
I see you use it within MuSynthCore.

I tested it in the MUX, then routing the outputs to MuSynths, or even directly to Samplas.

I will research why it goes wrong when used within MuSynthCore.

mutools wrote: What's new:
  • Multi audio track recording.
  • Record audio from any point in the MPA.
  • Evolved audio-input/output system.
Wow... that's a feature that I realy love.

mutools wrote:Besides this, i'm convinced that setting up multi track recording always takes a (little) bit of setup, in any daw/host/sequencer, in whatever configuration. It's inevitable.
The aim should be quick and easy, though...
mutools wrote:I.e: Which input pins do you want to record from?
This is already there: Edit -> Audio Setup -> Select Inputs
mutools wrote:Is it mono or stereo?
Simple two way switch on Edit -> Audio Setup would do this. (Or on -> Select Inputs.)
mutools wrote:Do you want monitoring? If yes, thru what?
No more essential or inevitable with multitrack than with a single stereo pair, really?

Yes, the extra flexibility the new system has is fantastic :). But for quick'n'easy plug in and hit record it takes a bit more set up than I was expecting. There's the old way and the new way - no reason to lose either of those. But there's room for an extra option of "simple multi-track" recording, I think. Just the one extra option (mono vs stereo). Then, if multiple inputs are enabled, record multiple tracks (mono or stereo, as selected, using the same monitoring as the current simple record method).

Return to “MUTOOLS”