midi routing and audiorouting (+ effect routing )

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For effect routing there is a MUlab tutorial, but how about midi&audio routing between 2 racks on 2 midi channels ?

---------------------------------------------------------
The question came up when i try connecting a midi arpeggiator plug in and( also a other composing vst tool) with a instrument track
The midi composer vst plug is generating events for a instrument track and i must use the slots on the racks to get a midi routing
MIDI routing:
Vst midicomposing track = midi out => midi in Instrument

For this situation both racks(on 2 tracks )do have both a audio output and there is no audio routing for necessary only midi routing

How to set this up ?

Just put the arpegiator in slot 1, the vst synth in slot 2.

Everything in a rack streams top down and so the synth will receive the MDII output of the arp ;)

mutools wrote:Just put the arpegiator in slot 1, the vst synth in slot 2.

Everything in a rack streams top down and so the synth will receive the MDII output of the arp ;)
i think this type of arpegiator (Catanya)is not working on this way
for ableton it works as..
--------------------------------------------
Works great in Ableton Live. Workflow is as follows:

a) Add Catanya to track one. Ensure its getting MIDI from your MIDI keyboard.
b) Add a softsynth to track 2.
c) Find the input MIDI selection for track 2 and change it to receive from the Catanya track.
d) Ensure monitoring is on in both tracks (i.e. both active)
e) Start the transport
f) Play notes!

I then tend to record the Catanya data as a MIDI clip on track 2 and edit it from there.
---------------------------------------------
for a another daw it works as..
PreSonus Studio One

1. create 2 Instrument Tracks
2. set Catanya as OUT for the first track
3. set your Synth for the second one
4. set Catanya as IN for the second one
5. insert some MIDI chords into the first track
6. set Monitor Button to ON for the second track
7. Play
this type of arpegiator needs a own track so i must use a midi send in a rack?

Put it in a MUX, route the MIDI OUT of it to the synth you want to use. Route the MIDI track to the MUX.

Hi,
janamdo wrote:
No, i tested it, and works fine as Jo described before, put catanya on the first slot of a rack and put the instrument in the second slot.

If you wan't to record catanya's midi out into a new track for editing, you'll have to send data out of Mulab and then back. I do this using the midi TRHU of a external HW synth. Also theres a threat on this forum explaining how to do this with a midi loopback SW device.

Or a more simple way. Here, I downloaded it and made a session to show how works. It's much easier than explaining.

http://www.mediafire.com/?jynwagijyzd
Open the modular area to see how it's routed.

sorohanro wrote:Put it in a MUX, route the MIDI OUT of it to the synth you want to use. Route the MIDI track to the MUX.
Thanks for the 2nd example as musession ..it seems that the MIDI connections must be made in the modulair area ?

You also use the MUX ..what makes MUX so special that you came also up with this set up?

janamdo wrote:
mutools wrote:Just put the arpegiator in slot 1, the vst synth in slot 2.

Why do you think this?

When you do it that way, what's wrong?

Well your instructions where clear enough .. so i am wrong

janamdo wrote: i think this type of arpegiator (Catanya)is not working on this way
Actually I tried it also like that and worked.
Well, from my point of view, Mu.Lab offer you so much freedom that you can do a thing in very many ways.
All depends on your workflow.

the only problem in Mulab is that you can't record midi events generated by a midi plugin. You can record only midi events that are coming on the midi input device.
If you want to do this, you have to send the midi data generated by the midi plugin to a software midi loopback device.

Some midi step sequencer plugins also allow you to drag and drop the sequence on a track of Mulab.

pquenin wrote:the only problem in Mulab is that you can't record midi events generated by a midi plugin. You can record only midi events that are coming on the midi input device.
Well its sounds logical to me that you have input track of the (say Catania)
plug in what is recording the midi data and also the output track of the synthesizer (instrument)
On that basis you can reproduce music again
So with the included session sample from sorohanro shows two tracks with the same midi data.
Somehow therefore it makes for me no sense to plug in in the first slot the catania plug in and in the second slot a instrument as not the midi data for the instrument is also recorded.

Unfortanely i could not study on my tube the video example of the working of the catania plug in Live , because the video sound is not working on my computer yet( fix?) and there is also no manual for the catania plug in ..so it was a vague situation unfortanely what i don't like :?

MU.LAB records MIDI Input from the outside world.

It doesn't record MIDI passing through any plug-ins, whether they are effects or instruments.

There is nothing strange happening or different happening. It is quite consistent.

The flow is:
[External MIDI device out] ->
[PC MIDI In] -> [MU.LAB recorder] -> [MU.LAB MIDI target]

("[PC MIDI In]" indicates all enabled inputs in MU.LAB, in fact.)

Where "[MU.LAB MIDI target]" is a rack, then the MIDI data flows from the top to the bottom.

Where "[MU.LAB MIDI target]" is a MUX, it flows according to your specified routing.

The "[MU.LAB recorder]" saves recorded MIDI input in MIDI sequences that you can play back. Play back occurs from the same point in the chain, replacing "[MU.LAB recorder]" in the flow.

janamdo wrote: So with the included session sample from sorohanro shows two tracks with the same midi data.
Somehow therefore it makes for me no sense to plug in in the first slot the catania plug in and in the second slot a instrument as not the midi data for the instrument is also recorded.
Did you try to click on Edit => Show Modular Plugin Area ?
I think seeing actually how works is far better than any explanation.

One MIDI track controls Catania, the other MIDI track controls a pad, just to fill the harmony and show how same MIDI data can "sound" very different.

Take a look on the routing (blue and red cables).

sorohanro wrote:
janamdo wrote: Did you try to click on Edit => Show Modular Plugin Area ?
I think seeing actually how works is far better than any explanation.

One MIDI track controls Catania, the other MIDI track controls a pad, just to fill the harmony and show how same MIDI data can "sound" very different.

Take a look on the routing (blue and red cables).
well i do see the midi routing in MPA ,but i don't get sound from the piano?
I use a demo catania plugin as well

Return to “MUTOOLS”