Vaz feature requests

Official support for: vaz-synths.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

a grain retrig input on the granular oscillator.

sounds pedantic, but it would be good for preserving transients in playback material, and you could use ultra-long window times, cause they could re-sync and not fall out of phase/ sound sluggish.

also, id like the option of flipping a switch on the granular osc which would mean even with a short .wav input (like a closed hihat) i could control the window length to act more like a retrig/loop - some way to sweep the window length longer than the sample (at which point it just inserts silence between the retriggers)

and is there a possibility of making granular effects(as an insert) - to freeze/ delay/ pitch on the fly with controls somewhat like the granular osc.)

if none of that makes sense, i will understand.

thoughts, anyone?
come on you ..... lets have some aphex acid.

re the above -
for anyone who is interested in how to remix a rendered loop with the granular osc, heres the bare bones:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/sbsg3bg62 ... plate1.vzb

all you have to do is to add a loop to the gran osc. (if its 4 beats long, it should work, if its longer or shorter, have a think about the math so it plays back at the speed you want.

re using it - the control A on the sequencer dictates playback position - down all the way will be the first kick beat - ie if you set the sliders to ascend from base to the top, left to right, it should play back your original loop pretty much as is. i generally just randomise it and chin scratch over the results.

if anyone makes any music with it, please let me hear, even if its just screwing round.
come on you ..... lets have some aphex acid.

MadGav wrote:Hi EvilDragon,

Most of what you've listed would require synth-level changes which won't be practical before a major release (not practically happening).
When you say "not practically happening" does that mean "you should be looking forward to VAZ Modular 4, because I have noted your feature requests and they are in line for the next big version"? :)
MadGav wrote:Separate pitch bend would be possible, out of interest how would you be using it?
+2 semitones up, -12 semitones down. Quite usual for playing leads. :) Hear example from my Kurzweil PC3K8 here:

http://www.box.net/shared/ptusyto4zy
MadGav wrote:I'll try to work out what you're on about with the sustain retriggering thing, you're saying that note priority is working fine with notes held down, but not with the sustain pedal down after notes have been released?
OK. Please try this. Have a monophonic lead sound and play a C-E trill in such a way that you constantly hold a C, and then just "tap" the E note real fast, in a staccato way. Do that without sustain pedal depressed. It sounds fine. Now do that with sustain pedal depressed. The envelopes don't retrigger on releasing the E note in this case, which is not the behavior I'm looking for. Hear the sound example (first without sustain, then with sustain - I'm playing exactly the same notes in both examples!):

http://www.box.net/shared/exs82xs4ni

As you can hear, the notes don't retrigger in the second bit. All the synths and workstations I've tried retrigger the notes even if sustain pedal is pressed!

Thanks for your reply, and please continue making VAZ Modular even more awesome! It's great and sounds extremely good, but patch managing is the thing that's really needing a big overhaul...

Hi EvilDragon,

Just made a simple test patch and all appears fine... *if* the Trigger input of Envelope is used. On the CV Converter Gate will be high so long as any note is pressed or the sustain pedal is down. Trig is pulsed whenever a key is pressed. Switching on Last note priority will also make a difference, I think for the better with the playing style you want.

Martin

Yep, I'm always using last note priority :)

Thanks for the hint - however I can't seem to do that setup. If I use only Trig input set to CV1 Trig, and set the Gate input to None, I get no sound. If I put CV1 Gate to Gate and CV1 Trig to Trig, I get sound, but no big change in behavior. I only hear a "click" when I press the key in the trill, however it does NOT retrigger to the note that's being held down... Strange!

Example: http://www.box.net/shared/k0892h1myy

Here's the actual patch I'm using: http://www.mediafire.com/?nk6df3ftwz25s5z

So a key which is down has priority over one which is now up but sustained?

Hmmm... something like that, I guess?

It just works like this: if it's last note priority, then if I'm holding C (no sustain pedal), then play E while I'm holding C, then release E, C is the last note standing - so it gets priority. Sustain shouldn't override that. It might not sound logical, but this is how most synths that I've ever tried work. Basically, I should get the same sound/behavior regardless of the state of sustain pedal - the sustain pedal should sustain only the last note playing. Which is, in my example, always the note that's last held on the keyboard.

Basically, the logic is - trigger note, if there are other notes held when I release this triggered note, retrigger back to those notes.

If you could download the free Elektrostudio synths (for example, MoonSonoSX), and try a fast trill with one note held, without and then with sustain pedal, you should get the idea :) Try it with the preset called "Lead Drive" on MoonSonoSX.

http://www.elektrostudio.ovh.org/index.php?go=14

EvilDragon: Separate pitchbend up/down and maximum range of +/-36 will be in the next build.

There's a Grain osc now - when did that get added?

aMUSEd wrote:There's a Grain osc now - when did that get added?
Something over a decade iirc ;)

:lol: :oops: It sounded like you were all talking about something new. Carry on, I'll get me coat

EvilDragon: separate up/down pitchbend ranges, with extended range and a change to mono last note priority behaviour with the sustain pedal are in 3.20 beta 18, just released.

Given the West Coast (Buchla, Serge) direction Martin has followed lately I'm requesting a dedicated Lowpass Gate module.

I know there's a Lowpass Gate patch Martin made years ago, which the (late, great) Tim Conrardy used in a number of his VAZ synths. It's good but using/controlling multiple instances isn't very realistic, especially considering the classic Buchla Lopass Gate Model 292 had 4 of the buggers in one!

Would also appreciate any suggestions for modeling the Timbre/Harmonics functions on the Buchla Programmable Complex Waveform Generator
Model 259
. I am using the Oscillator B modules and I know some sort of waveshaping and even/odd harmonic manipulation (distortion?) is involved.

An LPG module is unsurprisingly already on the to-do list, have also investigated some aspects of the 259...

Has anyone requested a OSC module? as in Open Sound Control.

Kev

Return to “VAZ Synths”