weird turbolence fx behavior

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was getting some incoherent behavior on a patch I was working with, and after some investigation I traced it into the turbolence osc fx.

Starting with the "initialize" preset (I think this is a factory patch, but in case I got it somewhere else, it's just osc1 with a saw wave on geomorph mode), insert the turbolence fx on osc1, and turn its value to maximum. Don't change anything else.

Now, as I play, I get a very noticeable effect on the beginning of each note, something that resembles a filter attack. As if the turbolence fx was being modulated by an envelope. But if I keep playing, after a while (some 15 seconds, or so) I no longer get that attack phase on new notes. Also, the duration of this attack seems related to the osc resolution (lower resolution = slower attack).

Is this expected behavior?

I'm on windows XP, using reaper and energyxt, and will provide patch and audio samples on request, of course.

I noticed similar behaviour with the filter fx functions, though here is a detailed description:

- initialize SAW preset
- select Filter FX function in first slot
- move the fx amount to the 10 o'clock position

observe the following:
- press middle c and let go
- press a note around an octave below
- notice how the filter seems to 'slide' in?

My observations is that when selecting a note lower than the previous note, the Filter seems to 'slow attack' it's way in, and the opposite in reverse; if the second note is higher than the first, a 'decay' of the filter is heard.

The same relationship exists between the Oscillator resolution and the attack/decay times of the effect as pedrof reported.

I'm guessing there's a reasonable programmatic explanation for this behaviour, and maybe we should be taking advantage of these nuances, but it would be good to know if these osc fx really are working-as-designed.

cheers :)
Last edited by CinningBao on Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hmmm... are you using V2.3.1?

Urs wrote:Hmmm... are you using V2.3.1?
I am, yes.

Me too, on mac.

In that case I'd love an audio demo & a patch (urs at u-he.com) - if you don't mind :oops:

;) Urs

Urs wrote:In that case I'd love an audio demo & a patch (urs at u-he.com) - if you don't mind :oops:
Done!

Two things I noticed about this effect:
1) Always happens here (Mac/Logic8) immediately after I load a fresh Zebra, otherwise just "sometimes".
2) The number of "static" notes seems to depend on the polyphony (few/medium/many). Haven't tested enough to be sure.

Thanks for sending the files!

Regarding Turbulence... I thought I had solved that long time ago. It must have sneaked back in during recent sessions of oscillator improvements...

The filter thing sounds like the problem when Portamento was made accessible over the ModMatrix. I'm not sure why the OscFX would still be affected, but I'll check it out.

Later,

;) Urs

Hiya,

Sorry for the late reply, I havn't forgotten you...

Both things are quite certainly fixed. Unfortunately I'm so deep in the last bits of Zebra 2.5, I'll need another couple of days/weeks before I can make the fix available. There are simply too many changes that need thorough testing first :oops:

Later,

;) Urs

That's cool, Urs. Zebrify is worth it. :tu:

wot 'e said :)
cheers!

Return to “u-he”