Simple bounce delay (unchanging pitch) with MFM2?

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I tried automating the ratio knob, but it changes the pitch of the reflections. Can I avoid that somehow?
:: FL Studio v9.0.3 :: u-he Zebra2 v2.5 :: u-he MFM v2.0.2b5 :: u-he Uhbik v1.1 :: EnergyXT v1.4.1/v2.0.2 ::

Hmmm... don't think so... parameter automation is smoothed... try using an LFO maybe...

What exactly are you trying to do?

Bouncing ball stuff in MFM2 is tough, because changing delay time does effect pitch (not the same way a BBD would or a tape delay but still). There are tricks that you can do by using a sine LFO on the delay ratio and then modulating te phase of that LFO but I don't have MFM2 in front of me to tell you exactly what to do.

A granular delay is better suited for this kind of thing. Check out Fabfilter's Timeless in "stretch mode".

i think he is trying to achieve the effect of Aphex Twin Bouncing Ball...

in which the taps are getting closer (less ms between them)in time...

like when you drop a ball in the ground.

a delay called BOUNCER does this effect (by some smartelectronics dev)

maybe you could check that free VST Urs and see what the user wants to do ?

...peace !
whooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!!

Oh and for bouncing ball effect reference checkout...
Autechre - VI scose poise
Aphex Twin - Bucephalus Bouncing Ball

Also a delay plug by other Smartelectronics dev...called FIRE.

@justin3am beat me in the answer ! grrrrrrrrrrr...

me and my lame english course !

:p

...peace !
whooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!!

Kloz wrote:Also a delay plug by other Smartelectronics dev...called FIRE.

@justin3am beat me in the answer ! grrrrrrrrrrr...

me and my lame english course !

:p

...peace !
Another Small Clue did the Bouncer plug-in, IIRC. Then followed that up with the wonderfully under-rated Poise drum sampler.

Hi Urs, check >this< out; it is very close to what I want to do with MFM2.

Thank you for all your replies, guys. :)
:: FL Studio v9.0.3 :: u-he Zebra2 v2.5 :: u-he MFM v2.0.2b5 :: u-he Uhbik v1.1 :: EnergyXT v1.4.1/v2.0.2 ::

rbet wrote:Hi Urs, check >this< out; it is very close to what I want to do with MFM2.

Thank you for all your replies, guys. :)
If you want a pretty straight forward bouncing ball effect; MDSP's Fire, Bram's Bouncy and Nusofting's Morph Delay are tough to beat. If you are looking for hardcore "VI scose poise" style bouncing it's better done with a sampler. You can do this by looping a sound and then automating the loop end point with an exponential or parabolic curve.

You can't do this with MFM2 without effecting the pitch. I tried compensating with a sideband filter but you have to keep in mind that every repetition is getting fed back on itself so while the decrease in pitch from the sideband is linear, the increase in pitch from the delay modulation is exponential.

I have a feeling that we may be able to do this with Uhbik G in conjunction with Uhbik X once they are released...

Maybe the MFM delays need more modes?

kodama wrote:Maybe the MFM delays need more modes?
That was the first thing I enquired about when I bought MFM2... as I recall, I asked when I could expect a granular mode and a tape/bbd mode in MFM2. I believe Urs said "It sounds like you're talking about MFM3." :lol:

What is the current mode called?

I'm not sure... but it sounds like a variable size buffer with a fixed "grain" size (I've heard 800hz or 8000hz thrown about). When you adjust the delay time the size of record buffer changes to accommodate in coming audio and the playback buffer changes the sample rate of the audio already in the buffer to fit the size of the new record buffer.

I'm not sure if I'm describing this correctly but it's similar to how the Ohmboys delay works.

Wow, MFM3? as Tom Petty once sung, 'the waiting is the hardest part'

I think the name for the type of delay line in MFM2 is an interpolated delay line.. it behaves much like a peice of vinyl/tape; read through the buffer faster and the pitch increases.

Not used Ohmboyz delay, but I thought that had grain-style modes?..

I reckon a bouncing ball-style effect could be done with multiple MFM2's in parallel.. a little challenge for the early afternoon!

I always thought that these delays could be done in a multitap delay with a clever choice of delay times.

However, listening to the examples, Autechre and Aphex Twin, I doubt that it's doable in MFM.

Listening to Bram's Bouncy plugin, I think it's simply a delay with 24 or more taps. The problem is, the volume of the taps is independent from the position (it can go up and then abruptly stop). Also, two subsequent tones go through the same envelope, even when their delay overlaps. This isn't possible in a feedback based model. I'm sure it must be brute force multitude of delay taps, no modulation involved.

Cheers,

;) Urs

Return to “u-he”